An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Introduction, I Come From A Long Line Of Addicts

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by MusicInMotion67, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Hi, my name is Karen and although I'm not an addict myself I do come from a long line of both drug addicts and alcoholics. Unfortunately over the past seven years I have lost two people very close to me. My husband committed suicide on RX pain killers and muscle relaxers both of which he was addicted to and then two and a half years ago I lost my daughter due to accidental overdose. Only difference is with her is that even though when she died she had elevated levels of pain killers in her system, which make no mistake she was addicted to them greatly, it wasn't that which killed her. It was the combination of medications that had just previously been prescribed to her by her family Dr. that done it.

You see just two short years prior to her death she went into a coma due to having walking pneumonia that she knew nothing of, and while in the coma she suffered a stroke. Only 24 years old and the Dr.'s told me she would never survive that she was basically brain dead, but I have a strong faith in God and let that be known and told them to leave her room. Even though they all said she would never survive this, she not only survived it but made a full recovery. The only problem is she started having seizures almost a year into her recovery from that ordeal. She was back in full addiction mode to pain killers and muscle relaxers as this Dr. had her on about four different pain killers and even though her husband and myself had asked him to take her off of the narcotics and find other ways to treat her he refused. Ultimately he changed up her meds adding some new ones for her seizures but the problem comes when he told her, her husband, and myself that the combination was safe to take together. He was wrong, it wasn't and at the age of 26 my daughter passed away. Unfortunately her addiction had such a hold on her that I think if that hadn't have killed her her addiction would have. Anyway, that's my story.
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Welcome to the group Karen and thank you for taking the time to share your story with us. I am so sorry for the loss of your husband and your daughter. You certainly have been through a lot. It is sad what your daughter went through at such a young age and then to lose her life in the end. I wish she would have been able to get off the pain pills but that is hard to do when her own doctor woukdn't even help you. God bless you as you move forward to with your life. You are a strong woman.
    deanokat and MusicInMotion67 like this.

3. Thank you. I'm not so sure I FEEL strong, so much as it's just something life threw at me and now I'm moving forward for my other four children and all five of my grandchildren, two of which were my hers. Now I just try to help others who are having to go down that same path that I experienced. Unfortunately I've only experienced addiction once due to that same Dr. who by the way was the same dr my husband had when he committed suicide. Anyway, luckily it wasn't a psychological addiction so much as a physical one.

He had me on 100 mcg of Fentanyl, one day I took the patch off for a shower and forgot to put it back on, well even though that had happened dozens of times I'd never had withdraws before however, that day I did and it was the most horrific thing I'd ever experienced. I can't even describe what it was like, but I can say it felt a lot like I had creepy crawly things under my skin. I'd never experienced withdraws before so I didn't recognise it as such. I have nerve damage and thought that's what was causing it, but then it happened again and after doing my research and finding a girl who's experience was identical to mine I knew what the problem was and went to my Dr. about it. I'd explained what happened and he confirmed to me that it was withdraws, after telling him I wanted to be weaned off of it because it was no longer effective in controlling my chronic pain he tells me that he doesn't agree and thinks it's helping more than I realise and he wants to wait until the summer to consider taking me off. "Let's wait till the summer and get you through the winter then we'll discuss possibly taking you off of it." I was shocked and scared. My thinking was if I was experiencing this now what will happen if I wait until summer three months away? So I went home found about four months worth of lower doses and proceeded to wean myself off.

I was grateful that I was successful in weaning myself off of that drug and although I've been on pain killers since 2003 after that I've been extremely careful about making sure I don't allow addiction to creep back up on me like that. Needless to say it opened my eyes to what addiction must be like for so many and helped me to understand at least a little as to why so many are terrified of trying to get off of them. I still don't understand as to why they can't wean them self off as I did. I don't understand why my daughter couldn't and although it helps me to be a little more understanding I still find myself becoming angry with addicts i'm close to for allowing them self to get to that point and not stopping it as soon as they realise they're addicted. I'm still learning and that's one reason i signed up on this forum is in hopes of being able to learn more so I can understand better. I guess I come from the side of the families and how it affects them.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello there, @MusicInMotion67! Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your story to us here. I am deeply sorry to hear about your loss. It must have been really painful for you, but I am glad that you didn't let those experiences get the best of you, instead, it somehow made you stronger. I am so proud of you. Anyway, I do hope you're doing great now. I wish you all the best.
    deanokat likes this.
  5. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

Hey @MusicInMotion67, welcome to the forum. Wow, your story is very heavy, but thanks for sharing it with us. Very sorry to hear that your family, who I am sure you loved very much, were gripped and subsequently destroyed by horrible addictions. I hope you are keeping strong!
    deanokat likes this.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Thank you for sharing your story with us. It certainly wasn't a happy ending, but I hope you were able to cope with it and it made you a stronger person. May your experience motivate other addicts to become sober.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Hi Karen. Welcome to the forum and for sharing your story. Sorry for your loss and i just want to encourage you that God is in control of our lives and he knows what is best for us. You've experienced first hard the devastating effects of drugs in your family and what they are capable of. Just want to encourage you that all is not lost and that the lord has great plans for you. Just trust in him and he will never forsake you.
    deanokat likes this.
  8. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Musicinmotion67, accept love and a warm welcome to the forum. I've been quite busy recently but thought I should make a special effort to check on my friends and family here. Your loss was sad to read about but I am happy you are here to share your story and be strengthened as your story likewise strengthens us. Keep on fighting the good fight and best wishes to you and the family. I am sure you have come the right place by joining us in the forum. Call this your new home away from home.
    deanokat likes this.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Sounds that your family doctor is not a good doctor and definitely needed to be replaced and not to be trusted again.
    Nice to know that you keep going on for your other loved ones cause for sure they need you. Stay strong and keep the faith in God.
  10. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@MusicInMotion67... Thank you for coming to the community and sharing your story with us. My deepest condolences on the loss of your husband and daughter. I cannot even imagine how difficult that must be for you. Please know that we are here for you, to help and support you any way we can. Don't hesitate to reach out whenever you need or want to. Thanks again for sharing with us. I admire your courage and honesty. Sending you peace and hugs.
  11. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

@MusicInMotion67 Hello and thank you for the courage for sharing your story in this forum! You had travelled your life journey with lot of pains in your heart. I knew that it is not that easy for you to accept the loss of you love ones. I just hope that you can move on with your life with that peace of mind within yourself. Just be strong and continue on praying because God is always there for us in the darkest days in our life.
    deanokat likes this.