An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Introduction

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Kat, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Kat

Kat Member

Hello, my name is Kat. I wanted to thank you for allowing me to join your group and being able to be involved with this growing issue. I am a recovering addict, going on about 10 years. I am also a mother of a child that died of an overdose. I was so involved with his life and trying to heal him, even though I knew I couldn't. Especially because I am a recovering addict and no one could fix or heal me until I was ready. I thought because I been thru it, that I knew everything and could help him better than anyone else. How wrong I was! So I am here just to remind myself that I didn't kill my son, that I couldn't save him no matter how much I tried and just to remember that I am not alone.
    xTinx, bhu, Mara and 1 other person like this.
  2. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

Welcome @Kat. I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

Thank you for sharing with us and you're right, you are not alone. The events that have happened in your life will definitely help someone who is or has been through it. Those who have or has encountered a family member or friend with substance abuse has found their way here and shared their experiences freely and I hope that you feel the same.

Visit the other forum discussions I'm sure you will find one that you feel comfortable enough to join in the discussion. Again, welcome.
    bhu likes this.
  3. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Hi Kat! First off, let me tell you how deeply sorry I am to hear about the loss of your son through drug overdose. Losing a parent is painful but losing a child is probably one of the most painful things a person could ever experience. I have seen how the death of my sister has greatly broken my dad. It crushed him so much that it took a long time for him to recover from the pain. I also wish you recovery in your own time.
  4. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Welcome to the forum Kat. It's heartbreaking to lose a child no matter the circumstances. Please know my prayers are with you as you try to heal. There is no good that can come from blaming yourself so I am glad you recognise it's the addiction that took him away and no failing on your part. Now is a good time for you to look are your own life and find a way to overcome your struggles and experience a lasting healing. I am glad you found your way here and know that you are not alone.
  5. BBarnett22

BBarnett22 Member

Hello Kat.
    I am new here as well, but welcome.
    I am sorry to hear about your loss.
    This disease of addiction is unforgiving and does not care about any one person or thing.
    Know that you done all you could do Kat. Blaming yourself will take a grip on your life and your ability to stay healthy. Positive thinking is a must.

Just remember to stay positive and live life a day at a time.

Sincerely,
    Brennon B.
  6. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Hi @Kat and welcome to the community. I'm glad that you found us. Rest assured, all of us are here to listen to you and as much as possible, support you in every way we can. I'm so sorry to hear that about your son. You've tried your best to save him, and I think that is more than what a mother can do. I wish you luck on your recovery. And I hope that someday, the pain that you feel in your heart will completely subside.
  7. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Kat... Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing with us. My deepest condolences to you on the loss of your son. My heart bleeds for you. Just remember what Al-Anon teaches: you didn't cause it, you couldn't control it, and you couldn't cure it. I hope to see you around the various discussions here. I think you'll be able to offer some valuable insight to people here. Also, congratulations to you on your sobriety. Ten years is a fabulous achievement!
  8. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

@Kat Hello and thank you for sharing your story with us in this forum. No mother would want anything bad will happen for her child. That is why don't blame yourself for the loss of your son. Like what you had said you had tried your best to heal him to help him to get better even though you are recovering from your addiction. Just think that your son is in a better place right now with no more pains and struggles in his life. Just hang on and keep your faith and you are not alone. God is watching you all the time to guide you to recover fully to enjoy your life. All the best of luck to you!
  9. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

Hello and welcome @Kat! Thank you for joining us and sharing your story. I'm sorry about your son. It's good that you know to seek the support of groups to help yourself and others through these difficult circumstances. YANA = You are not alone is right. Congratulations on your 10-year clean time. You remind me of another recovery friend who went through unimaginable pain, when nobody would have been surprised for him to slip, and like you, chose to take one day at a time and work his way through it in recovery instead. You are a very brave and strong woman. Keep coming back.
  10. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

Welcome @Kat! I am so sorry about your son! I have a 24 year old daughter in prison who is fighting meth addiction. Many of her friends have already died and I fear for her life too. Addiction is such a horrible thing! I am glad to hear you are so long sober. That is a great accomplishment and you will be an asset to our community!
  11. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Hello Kat thank you for sharing your story with us. I am so sorry for the loss of your son. I can only imagine how difficult it must be. I am glad that you know that it is not your fault that he is gone. You did all that you could to help him. I hope you find some comfort in that. Congratulations on getting yourself clean for over 10 years. That is wonderful.
  12. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

Welcome to this forum, dear Kat. I am glad you joined the forum. In this forum, you are allowed to share every kind of problem related to addiction. I am sorry for your loss. I know that the pain is real but you can overcome it, dear friend. By the way, I am very happy that now you are clean. Just don't relapse and go ahead in your life. :)
  13. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Hi Kat. So sorry to hear about your son. I think you made the right decision by joining us :) Being part of this community has helped me learn so much about myself, not only about recovery and addiction. I've learn a lot about co-dependence and toxic relationships. I've also learnt that loving an addict is hard, but there is nothing we can do to help them until they feel they are ready, the decision must come from them and not us.
    deanokat likes this.
  14. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Hello Kat! First of all, don't blame yourself because your kid died, I'm sure you did all that you could to save his life. Be strong and strive towards a full recovery, so that you can improve your life. Use your late son as an inspiration to get clean and to not go back to that unhealthy lifestyle ever again.
    deanokat likes this.
  15. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Hello Kat! Thanks for being here and telling us the ordeal you've been through. It's never easy losing a loved one - all the more so when it happens without preamble, shocking your heart in the process. No one's at fault. Not you. Not your son. The best you can do right now is just cherish his memories. Even if he died the way he did, that doesn't mean he wasn't there in your life for a good reason.

Move forward and forgive at your own pace - until your heart no longer feels such pain. You deserve to be happy and to not repeat the same mistakes.
  16. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

Hello Kat. Welcome to the forums. I am sorry for your loss. It is not your fault and you should never blame yourself. You seem to have tried your best so it's the most you could have done to help. I hope you find what you are looking for here.
  17. Hermxes

Hermxes Member

Hello, lovely people.
    I'm new here obviously and I want to tell everyone here that the human spirit is remarkably strong and mind over matter is really a reality. Anyone can do what they set their minds to. You can conquer anything!
    deanokat likes this.
  18. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

Welcome, Kat! I'm sorry to hear about the things that have happened, and I'm glad that you're continuing with your recovery, not letting the lose of a child drag you back down, and realizing that it isn't your fault in the slightest.
  19. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

20. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Welcome to the Forum Kat. We'll be happy to help you in anyway we can while you recover from your tragic losses. This is the place to share things and grow together. Hope you like it here.
    deanokat likes this.