An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is A Meth Addiction More Dangerous?

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by ExpertAdvice, Jun 8, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdvice Active Contributor

Is a Meth Addiction More Dangerous?

With the ever-increasing number of cases of meth addiction and death as a result of a meth-related overdose, the question has been popping in my head as to whether meth might actually be more dangerous or more addictive than other drugs.

Do you think this is the case?

A prolonged meth addiction has been known to severely distort the overall appearance of the user, lead to symptoms such as decreased appetite and rapid/irregular heartbeat, although one may argue that the use of other similar drugs does the same thing.

Which is why I'd like some feedback from persons who are familiar with the "lows" of this drug.

Is a Meth Addiction More Dangerous?

[​IMG]
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Meth is an incredibly dangerous substance, much more dangerous than many others. It's undoubtedly much more dangerous than crack-cocaine and also more dangerous than heroin. It doesn't have to be prolonged or particularly heavy use, meth addiction can destroy you within a year or two. The worst thing is, you won't even notice it happening until it's too late and you look back thinking to yourself "What on Earth happened?". Then, when you decide you want to get clean, your bodily system starts packing in because it's been deprived of nutrients and has been relying on meth for fuel and this results in a physical crash which can potentially be fatal or lead to severe physical ailments. Then there's also the fact that meth causes psychosis (paranoia, hallucinations, delusions, etc) and the fact that it's neurotoxic meaning it can cause permanent brain damage.
    ExpertAdvice likes this.
  3. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdvice Active Contributor

Thanks so much for your input! This is truly frightening to even think about, and it really does shock me that enough people aren't aware of the "creeping effect" that use of meth has on the user. If they were aware, then they wouldn't rush in to get the "artificial high" that they think is worth it, but in the long run, which causes irreparable damage!
    I really do hope that those who may be suffering through abuse of this substance do give in to the help they need, because we don't want it to get to that stage where it's too late, and the damage has already been done.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

In my opinion Meth is far more dangerous then any drug out there. It hits the bloodstream really quick and you basically get hooked instantly. My home town was hit hard but Meth and I've seen people high on all sort of drugs but nothing like meth. Once it gets a hold of you everything else in your life takes a back seat. You lose your job, your dignity, your health goes downhill, and you become a shell of your former self.
    nightmare101 likes this.
  5. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Beside it being so addictive, it pretty much destroys everything that you have, mentally and physically, unlike other gateway drugs like marijuana, for example, which is why I really don't understand people who ingest or smoke it. It seems so dangerous for your health and you could die quite easily. In other words, waste your life for basically nothing.
  6. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

I think it's certainly more dangerous that weed or alchohal. It's basically putting household chemicals...cleaners and poisons into your body. When they find a meth lab, the bomb squad sometimes has to be called in due to the chemicals...and those things go in people's bodies. So I'd rank it right up there with heroin and cocaine but maybe even easier to get a hold of.
  7. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I think meth is one of the most dangerous and destructive drugs out there. One of the factors is that it is made of all sorts of highly toxic chemicals, which I believe are far more harmful to the body than something like cocaine, which I am not downplaying in it's own danger, but at least it comes from a plant. The human body is simply not meant to take in chemical substances found in meth, and when it does, they destroy the body. I think more people have successfully regained their health after recovering from cocaine or heroin than have recovered after meth. I know one young lady who was using for not even that long before she was sent to rehab, and already she has had to have thousands and thousands of dollars of dental work done, she is only 16, and will never have even OK teeth again.
  8. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

It may be more addictive than some drugs, sure. It really depends on the person. Some people are able to deal with mental withdrawals (nicotine, coke, meth) without issue, while they may be more prone to physical addictions (opiates, alcohol, etc.). It really depends on the person. I myself was able to detox from heroin without too much issue, while cocaine was a brutal battle and I'm still unable to give up tobacco.
  9. 6up

6up Community Champion

The mental depression caused by crystal meth lasts longer and its consequences are very severe. Sharing of needles may pose health dangers. Its corrosion effect may cause teeth loss prematurely. It also leads to increased blood pressure and heart rate.
  10. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

In India people in the rural areas smoke it and since they are away from society use it for back pain or smoke it, as the drug is available and many people sell it and in the rural areas it is not regulated very well. Meth can cause mood swings and sometimes the brain can see things or make a person do something, which they would not do normally when sober. I reckon that this is a drug which people need to stay away from as you don't know what will happen, and not a drug people should take as the consequences can be bad for the person.
  11. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

Meth is an awful drug, it may not be the most addictive drug out there but it is terrible. I have a few family members that were/are addicted to meth. How fast it can change a person is scary, once they've been on a binge for a couple days they become a completely different person. They'll do anything to get a fix. A cousin of mine got caught stealing his mother's jewelry and punched her in the face when she tried to stop him. The necklace had been in the family for over a hundred years and was priceless to my aunt and he knew that. The things people high on meth are willing to do for more meth is scary.
  12. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I can believe that some users will literally do anything to get their fix. It is sad to sell not just what you own but that of others because of an addiction. It is scary to see that all it takes is one time to get hooked.
  13. nightmare101

nightmare101 Member

Yes i think it is more dangerous than most drugs but every drug is dangerous in a different way, but im a active user of meth & my best friend who has been since we was babies has a mindset of a 10 year old do to meth she will never come back all due to a bad trip.