An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is Adderall/Ritalin/Concerta prescribed too often to young children?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by cabrannon529, Aug 15, 2015.

1. cabrannon529

cabrannon529 Member

I was prescribed many stimulants from a young age, (Concerta, Ritalin, Focalin, Daytrana, Adderall), for my ADD/Inattentive. I feel like, in the short term, they helped me, a lot, with some side effects, but long term, they only worsened my ADD and forced me into an Adderall dependence. What are your thoughts on this? Do you think stimulants are prescribed too often to children (8-18)?
  2. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

I have no personal knowledge of this but I have seen a couple of documentaries looking at this. One that sticks in my memory is by Louis Theroux. From an outsider perspective it seemed like those prescriptions really helped many of the children, but there were some that might have benefited more from a less traditional school environment, rather than just being handed a prescription.
  3. mscaver86

mscaver86 Member

I understand your concern about this issue but my thing is if it's not prescribed to aid the children to calm down when they are over active/inattentive what other alternatives are there? My best friend is having this issue with her 6 year old daughter and she does not want to medicate her but she just can not control her. So at this point what other avenues can be taken?
  4. Hyperion

Hyperion Active Contributor

Oh man, yes. Even children who do have ADD or ADHD get put on meds at a really young age. One of my old friends was on it since second grade and he certainly has s dependence on a lot of things.
    His parents were so busy advancing their careers and social climbing, I think they saw it as a way to lessen their parenting loads.
    @mscaver86 Discipline the child. Set ultimatums. 6 year old children should not be taking the equivalent of speed.
  5. norms options

norms options Active Contributor

Yes, I most certainly do. Most kids that get prescribed medication for ADD when they are young go on to use other drugs as they get older. I think it just trains young kids to rely on pills and drugs to resolve issues in their lives. I have also noticed that more and more kids are diagnosed with ADD as time goes on. It must be lucrative for the companies selling these medications to get more kids hooked on their pills.
  6. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

I think all psychotropic medications are prescribed too often for children. For some years, ADHD was the 'flavor of the week' and almost every child you met was on Ritalin. Then, the popular diagnosis became Bipolar Disorder - I think because doctors could prescribe multiple medications to each kid. Then can also tell kids they need medication for life if they have a bipolar diagnosis.
    I'm very against any type of psychiatric diagnosis for kids!
  7. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, I certainly do. I think that doctors and psychiatrists are way to eager to diagnose impulsive young children with a disorder and prescribe medicine. Oftentimes ADD is confused with anxiety, and is a catch all diagnosis, like bi polar is. I think finding other alternatives other than medical interventions is the way to go.
  8. Azreal328

Azreal328 Member

I honestly do believe that there was a period of time where psychologists went a little crazy on the diagnosis of add/adhd, and the distribution of such medications. I was diagnosed with depression, anxiety, and adhd as a child by a psychologist i was forced into going to through my behavioral problems at school. I noticed the addictive effects of the drugs I was taking, the worst being adderall of course, and began to rebel at the age of 16 and refused every medication they wanted me to take. I do believe that there are such chemical imbalances in different people, but I always reverted to the fact that many generations before us have been dealing with such problems, and eventually I just accepted having to deal with my own issues in my own way.
  9. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

It's a widely admitted problem in the medical community that these types of drugs are prescribed to young individuals far more often than is necessary. A number of factors contribute to this problem, but there's no denying that it exists. Our medical community is a prescribe drugs first, find better solutions never type of community with mental health problems (and behavioral disorders and related things).
  10. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Some parents can not wait for their children to be prescribed Adderall, mainly because they think the academic performances of their children will improve and they will outrank most of the people in their classes or in even in their school.

Without some proper blood work/tests done, nobody should ever be prescribed these drugs. They are dangerous on the long run, and can actually lead to addictions.

What most of the people need is actually discipline. You can't think that you're child will stop behaving awful if you give him Ritalin or Adderall. Or can you?
  11. pogonotomy

pogonotomy Member

I believe some young children are prescribed it too young, one factor being that the parents are eager to see improvement in schoolwork and behavior. I know some people who started Ritalin or Adderall when they were in elementary and middle school, and they are fine (or at least seem like it). Some people are prescribed the medications too young at too high a dose.
  12. Ttirb

Ttirb Active Contributor

Yes I definitely think that they are. They need to find other alternatives to just handing out drugs to children. My brother had ADHD and after a teacher said something about it the doctor just wrote him a prescription for adderall, no questions asked. He was about 14 and he didn't like the way it made him feel so he asked my mom if he could stop taking it. He would literally be up for days when he took the recommended dosage. I don't think giving children prescription drugs is the answer to their problems. I think they need to be more thorough with testing to get to the root of the problem before giving a child drugs.
  13. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I definitely think so. It's often just a way for pharmaceutical companies to make more money and to rise up the statistic of fake ADD and ADHD. It's all a scam.
  14. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

From what I've heard these medications are really bad for you. There was a person who was interviewed about what the causes of ADD were and it had to do with most kids diet. Most of the food kids are fed have high levels of sugar in it. Most kids consume a 2 pound bag of sugar in a week without even knowing it. Then instead of looking for what could be causing ADD they give you harmful medication to so call cure it. I'm pretty sure there are natural cures for ADD.
  15. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I bet this is much closer to the truth. Diet and, of course, proper parenting. In any case, isn't ADD a relatively new disorder? I'm willing to put money on the fact that there's a causal link between this and the steady decline in the quality of people's diets over the lst 30 years or so.
  16. moreno58

moreno58 Active Contributor

Yes I do. They wanted to prescribe Ritalin to my daughter when she was about 7 years old, but I told them no, because my sister in law had used it for her daughter and she walked around like a zombie all day. It was so sad. I found other ways to help my daughter without using any of those prescriptions and she did just fine.
  17. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

I definitely think they are prescribed way too often. They've been talking about wanting to put my six year old daughter on something like that, and I keep arguing it. I think it's normal for young children to have a few issues paying attention. I know that I did. I grew out of it, though, and I hope she will as well. If she doesn't, we'll get her some help, but I just don't feel like it's necessary at this point.