An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is addiction more likely in teenagers?

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Child' started by nessarconde, Jan 11, 2015.

1. nessarconde

nessarconde Member

I was just thinking about this.
    Due to all the things we go through in adolescence (hormones, confusion, wanting to try new things, not wanting to feel left out, wanting to be one of the "cool guys", etc), do you think it's more likely to get addicted in this phase of life? Or it has no connection at all? I do believe that an addiction that has started in adolescence and is not immediately adressed is a dangerous thing, but I was just thinking about the addiction onset itself.
  2. fliktor7

fliktor7 Member

In my opinion, adolescence is for sure the most probably stage of life for getting into drugs. When we are teenagers (at least in my personal experience) our personality isn't well formed yet, people give everything for the partys and friends, and doesn't think at all about the impact of their decissions, but it is also more reversible to treat an addiction early on this ages too, if the person is willing to listen.
  3. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

At this age, teenagers are more likely to be into it because they are curious. They are more vulnerable too, because of peer pressure. It is important that good parenting is practiced.
  4. 003

003 Community Champion

Yes, because teenagers are more easily swayed and they thought no one understands them. All they see is themselves. In the psychosocial stages of Erickson, teenagers feel that they are special, they feel that they are the center of the world, and that whatever they do, they wouldn't harm them. They feel like bad things can't happen to them, well, because they think they are special and different from anyone else. That's why teenagers are more daring and take so much risk like taking in substances into their body, believing they wouldn't get to the point they no longer able to control their intakes which already turned into abuse.
  5. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I think anyone at any age can become addicted to substances if they jump too deep into it, but I think that teens are more likely to get addicted, and I think that the earlier you start with drugs and alcohol the more likely you are to become addicted to the substance.
  6. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Anyone is susceptible to addiction. However, between 20-something adults and teenagers, the latter group is often riddled with angst, making it difficult to control emotions or think things through. Teenagers belonging to troubled homes usually have higher chances of getting influenced. So basically, more than age itself, it usually depends on the environment and the individual's innate sense of resilience.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I think there's more to teens and drugs than hormones. Teens feel they are one step away from being adults and can for that reason try out things they wouldn't be allowed to do by their parents. This stage of semi-independence allows them to test out what they've heard in movies, read in books or heard from friends. So since doing drugs is depicted as being cool, to look cool, they [teenagers] must experiment and find out for themselves if all they'd heard was true.

Parents must be ready for this because it's their guidance that will help their kids get safely through their teenage years without getting addicted to drugs.
  8. DTracy3

DTracy3 Active Contributor

Teenagers are more likely to get addicted since they are in a phase of their life where there's a lot of change, rebellion, finding themselves, teenager problems....... Also this doesn't confirm that they'll become addicts, the risk that they'll come in contact with drugs is also higher then later in life.
  9. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

When you become a teenager, you are introduced lot of stress and feelings that they're not used to, and many teens are too young and carefree to realize that most decisions they make now will greatly affect their future. In this case, teenagers are likely to try drugs and alcohol since they're so stressed and aren't fully aware of their consequences. Wether or not they're likely to get addicted is different, though.
    The general rule of thumb when it comes to young people is that if it feels good, do it. If it doesn't, don't. So if a teen likes the drug or alcohol, they're likely to continue using it, and could get addicted; whereas if the teen doesn't like it, they'll most likely quit then and there.
  10. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I believe teenage years are the most impressionable when it comes to addiction. I feel like it's the time when persons are more curious and want to experiment and take risk. Almost everyone I know who has gotten involved with drugs will tell me they got involved in their teens.

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/addiction/adolescent/
  11. KNH

KNH Active Contributor

I feel the same way! I think teens are more interested in experimenting than older people and are more likely to get addicted and then it all spirals out of control.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

You have mentioned some reasons why on such age or stage of life, they are prone to addiction.
    That is why on such age too, they will need more attention and proper guidance. So that they will not be confused on thinking it was just alright to try those stuffs.
  13. goldenmaine

goldenmaine Active Contributor

More likely they will try out these substances at this phase in life because of the things you stated. But it depends also on the person, because there are some who got into these in their adult to later adult lives. Some of these adults experimented because of boredom in their routine life and others encountered major problems that made them sad and depressed leading them to trying out these stuff.
  14. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

I think it depends from person to person.
  15. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I know back when I was in my teens, I was super impressionable. I wasn't sure who I was, or who I wanted to be -- so I just tried to be like the "cool" kids. Sadly the "cool" kids were anything but cool, and hanging around the wrong crowd when you are super impressionable and vulnerable can be a nail in a coffin, really. I think just because at that point of life we are going through so many changes - physical, emotional, and so forth, and we're in this weird transition from childhood to adulthood, it can be hard to have common sense. I also think at that age I felt invincible to a degree, and didn't really comprehend that actions always have consequences.
  16. DCMY

DCMY Member

Addiction itself is a very adaptive occurrence. It preys on the weak and sometimes on the strong too. It takes the best of them and turns people into addicts. It is true that teens can be more prone to addiction. The sources of this occurrence are plentiful. There is this biased negativity towards teenagers and their problems. Just because someone is young, doesn't mean they have it off easy and fun. Peer pressure, school and family issues, isolation, bullying and many more aspects represent the everyday life of some teenagers. To top it all off, people convince them that their problems aren't real problems. Yes, teenagers are more prone to drugs but that is only because of the position they are in.
  17. 6up

6up Community Champion

Teenagers learn many things at school. Every student comes with a different story. Many drug using students have influenced non users who later start taking drugs. It is true most start taking drugs when they are teenagers.
  18. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

You're more likely to become addicted when you have an addicted personality, regardless of the age that person is. If they have the liklihood of being addicted and they are around environments where drugs and alcohol are involved, they're more susceptable to doing those things and becoming an addict. That could be when they're teens or adults.
  19. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Yes, young people are very curious of the unknown they try to do drugs, they try smoking, and they drink at different parties, because they aren't aware of the consequences of taking, smoking and drinking or even if they are they still try due to the pressure of society and the incompetence of being assertive.
    They think that it won't cause them any problems in the future and that they will be somehow young forever which is a fucking joke.
  20. light

light Active Contributor

Yes, I think that adolescence is a delicate period when many physical and emotional changes occur at the same time and therefore falling into the trap of drugs is easier. Friends have a great impact in the way teens think and behave and usually doing what’s prohibited from society is teen’s choice. Being in a stage of life where you are not a child and not yet an adult means that you are in faze of life when you haven’t created yet your personality and are easily influenced. So definitely a teenager can easily try drugs because they may consider it like an experiment without any harmful consequences.