An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is addiction taken seriously where you live?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Cheeky_Chick, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

I'm from the UK, and I have to say that addiction isn't something that is spoken about even half as much as I feel it should be. I just think that GPs need to be more aware of the symptoms of addiction, so that they would be able to recognise when somebody is struggling with it, as this means that they would be able to change the way they deal with them.

Where do you live? Do you feel that things are dealt with in the best possible way, or is there a lot to be desired with regards to how addiction is treated where you are?
  2. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

I live in the central US and it's taken pretty seriously here. There are quite a few rehab places and the only straight psychiatric hospital has a 30 day residential program for addicts. There is also a heroin epidemic here. There are signs along two main highways about how deadly heroin is and where to get help. It seems like over the past ten years or so, it's gotten much more recognition here.
  3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I live in the Pacific Northwest and I do not think it is taken as seriously as it should be. The general concensus here is that when we see an addict we just consider them another junkie. It is sad really. If people would take the time and try to help these people in some sort of way instead of just labeling them as society's garbage, I bet we could do a lot of good.
  4. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

I live in italy and addictions are taken seriously even here. I mean they're not being underrated but yet not overstimated. It's just the right balance I guess. When I was at school they did a lot of information and reconnaissance and I really appreciated it.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I live here in the Philippines, and yeah, as I have observed, the government is really doing their best to beat drug abuse/trafficking/smuggling/trading here. Well, it's still going to take a long time before our country would be free from these substances, but at least, our government isn't just taking these issues for granted.
  6. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I live in Canada and addiction is taken seriously here. A lot of work places will offer the employee help getting clean if they discover there is a problem. Their job is still available to them during and after the recovery process. Help and support is readily available all across the country. There are lots of ways to get help if you seek it.
  7. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I live in Mexico, a well known country from drug trafficking, and there's a lot of drug using too, we do have some campaigns and programs to stop drug using, especially in younger people... But there's a lot of corruption over here too, so it's pretty easy not to get arrested when you are carrying or using drugs, that needs to be changed.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Nah, I'm currently living in Mexico (going back to Europe in a few months though) and nope, the government doesn't are. There aren't places where a drug addict with no resources wanting to get clean can go. I was telling my mom that the other day... if you make the mistake of getting addicted to hard drugs... you will surely die because of it :( That's how is like over there. I feel so sad for those drug addicts who wish to get clean but don't want, our government lets them die.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'm also from the UK and addiction to still tend to kept swept under the carpet. There's still a stigma attached to an addict, and unless it's talked about more openly, then I think that trend will only continue.
  10. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

Same, and I more or less agree. There are a lot of support programs - though, as with anywhere in the world, there are a lot of people who don't necessarily take advantage of those programs. I live in the city, and you see homeless addicts on the streets fairly often. They just look... more burnt out, I guess... than the average person. It's sad, and sadly preventable, I have no doubt.
  11. jbepp

jbepp Active Contributor

Here in my country addiction isn't taken very seriously. I've seen some people that get laughed at because they have an addiction to alcohol. Alcohol is seen as something "soft" and I've seen many people that drink and drive almost every single week and nobody says anything. Even if other people are trying to change things, I feel like we need a better educative system.
  12. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Addiction runs deep where I live, and no one takes it seriously it's just a way of life here. These people call being a drunk stoner fun. It's really sad they just don't want to take the blinders off, and see it for what it really is. I am so proud that I know longer am one of those foolish people. It's a disease that they are passing on to their child way to go mom and dad.
  13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I live near the capital of Romania and I honestly believe things are normal, people don't care too much about addictions but they're not ignorant about the subject either. Hell, if you go to any of the high schools around here you'll see kids smoking (nicotine and weed), drinking - the whole nine yards. Adults don't seem to take action unless they catch them directly.
  14. pspzombie

pspzombie Member

I am from Southern California but recently moved to Oaxaca Mexico about a year ago. I have been sober almost 15 years and I have to say sobriety can be found anywhere - if you look for it. I was a bit concerned when we moved here but the first thing I looked for when we moved was an AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) group. I found an English speaking meeting and became involved with the group. I am very happy here and it is safe to say sobriety is taken seriously here.
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Here in the Philippine, I think more actions are being done to catch drug dealers than to help those who got addicted to it. Never heard of a free rehab institution here or action support groups for addiction especially from the government. So, addicts when caught will be jailed. Or just maybe, I am not aware of those support groups or programs if there are any.
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Addiction is probably so accepted around here. People are addicted to all kinds of things here. They smoke, they drink, they pop pills and eat junk food. It is quite common and what is even more ridiculous is that they don't really seem to care. If it isn't prescription drugs it is illegal stuff. The teenagers the adults, they all do it. Learned behaviors. Not everyone but a decent amount are like this. I don't really pay attention to them because to me they are like so out of it for even associating with this junk. The ailments and illness they ramble on about. I mean it is just so pathetic. It's like they did drugs when they were teens and smoked. They grow up and have a ton of health issues. Wonder why, that's a tough one. So now they are on a bucket of prescription drugs. If they didn't do street drugs they ate horribly so that leads to health problems. The common sense department here is low.
  17. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Kind of yes kind of no, half the people do and the ones who need to and the other are ignorant as ****. It isn;t taken as serious as it should be and is kind of laughed or vilified.
  18. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

In my country, the use of drugs is not taken seriously enough. Most drug addicts are just considered the junkies of the society. Nobody cares to know the pain they are going through. In fact they are not considered real people anymore. It would be so nice if the society can address drug problems more seriously.
  19. p4lse

p4lse Member

The place where I live, good thing is there aren't much addicts over here. Thanks to the tradition and culture, people have more control of their lifestyle. There are a very few addicts but since they're very scarce, no measures are taken for them.
  20. JadeVengeance

JadeVengeance Active Contributor

I live in Scotland and addiction is kind of a hidden thing and if people find out that you are addicted to something, they will tend to mock or avoid you. Drug or Alcohol addicts in Scotland seem to be the people that get the fun made out of them and teased. It really annoys me and I think people should have more respect and sympathy when it comes to addicts.