An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is alcohol a growing social issue ?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by RobertNick, Jan 22, 2015.

1. RobertNick

RobertNick Member

I think its a mix of companion weight, social society, religion, and day by day propensities. Case in point, in center eastern nations where the neighborhood religion precludes the utilization of liquor, you won't see a considerable measure of dipsomaniacs there. Be that as it may, in the war torn ranges, you can even now see quite a few people drinking liquor unlawfully, which is more unsafe on the grounds that those hard drinks never experienced quality screenings..
  2. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

I undoubtedly believe alcohol has been and continues to be a social problem. Depending on the culture, the issue worsens. Younger generations are becoming more impulsive. In fact, they're notorious for it amongst sociology and psychology departments. Alcohol is an immediate, gratifying substance. The combination is bound to occur. What's worse is that self-control declines therefore addictions become more common and harder to overcome.
  3. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Considering how many teenagers and students get alcohol poisoning because of the "binge drinking party culture", I think it's safe to say that at least some parts of the problem are caused by the glorification of alcohol in our social culture!
    blur92 likes this.
  4. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

That's very true. There was a similar discussion brought up elsewhere in this forum but regarding marijuana. People are extremely impressionable by the media. Adolescents are probably most sensitive to it because they are at a stage in their life in which they are constructing their identity.
  5. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Alcohol abuse has become a very big social problem in certain parts of the world. In Australia for example, where I lived most of my life, special police forces need to be installed on weekends to control the revelers and hoards of intoxicated people on the street. The majority of them are in their 20's and 30's, letting off steam. In cities like Sydney and Brisbane, it has almost become a norm to see drunk people fighting and falling all over the place during holiday seasons or long weekends.
    blur92 likes this.
  6. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I think that it has been a social issue for a really long time. Alcohol and partying have gone together for as long as I can remember. I think that this won't change until people find other ways to unwind during/before parties . As long as alcohol is a way to relax the nerves during social settings, I don't think that this is something that will change.
    blur92 likes this.
  7. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

I don't think its a growing problem in America. There has always been alcoholism here and in other parts of the world but I havent noticed any uptick. Its a problem that is always going to be with us, sadly.
  8. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

It's not a social issue, because 'issue' means "exit, a going out, flowing out" which most humans do not drink ethanol related drinks. In fact, ethanol itself and the various beverages made with it saved humans many times in the past, including sterilization and allowing humans to have clean things to drink because clean water was not in abundance. There truly isn't a clear cut black and white stance regarding ethanol even though many people may hold to split perspectives regarding ethanol usage - although, I do not hold this impartiality for other drugs being used out in the world of humans.
  9. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I feel that more people really drink because how stressful our world is. You cannot get anywhere unless you got a car and have money up the wazoo. I am in that situation where I try to get a job and everything is just not working. I do not want to whine about it but I am the only one in my family who does not have a job and does not have income coming in. More people drink to ease that pain but it does not get better that way.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think it is a social problem in here which is getting worst.
    Alcoholics are getting younger and younger and that could means that the young are less cared for/monitored/controlled/guided properly. They treat alcohol drinking as they way to be happy or get away from their problems and responsibilities.
  11. 003

003 Community Champion

I think it has alway been a social issue, but I wonder if it's growing bigger than it used to be because of the advent of other substances that the people can resort to. I mean there are just more options nowadays, and one just don't go with the alcohol.
  12. Profit5500

Its like the alcoholics that are younger are more likely the victims in this depressing world. I am thankful for not drinking alcohol to solve problems. I think this generation of folks do not care about how their bodies would react when drinking alcoholic beverages.
  13. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I definitely think so. At my college you definitely can't fit in unless you're basically an alcoholic, because everyone on this campus drinks alcohol like a fish five or more days a week. So for a person like me who really doesn't drink very much, I spend every night in my bedroom by myself because I don't have friends, because everyone just wants to go out and drink and party every night of the week.
  14. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I think another big issue is that alcohol is seen as set when it comes to partying. The image that comes to my mind are those new Dos Equis commercials where you see the man in his evening coat around all of the women in swim suits. If only real life were like that. Young people think that stuff is "hot" and that real life is like that when you are rich, famous, and have your alcohol.
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right. They think they can drink all they want and not get side effects for that since they are still young. Their body will eventually feel it as they aged and their addiction get worse. There are already cases here of strokes and high blood even they are just in their early 20's and 30's.
  16. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I don't think alcohol will go anywhere though sadly, even if it becomes an issue. Big corporations are making millions off advertisements and consumption alone. If they were going to drink and be addicted, they were going to do it regardless of age and limitations. People's personalities have a way of finding these gaps.
  17. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

It really is up to the parents to be responsible and educate their kids about alcohol. I never went out binge drinking as a young person because I was terrified what my parents would think. I also made a promise to my dad that I would never drink and drive, and I never have.
  18. Profit5500

That is the point and most people just think that alcohol is just harmless. It carries a lot more risk then what people think. You can go limp and feel nothing. Or you can kill someone while you are driving down the road and not remember.
  19. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't think it's a social issue as much as a familial one. If anything, disregard is more of a social issue to me and I think it contributes a lot more to people developing drinking problems later on. If course the environment the child grows up in also contributes to how a certain tool is treated, but that becomes irrelevant when you consider that parents also have jurisdiction on where to raise their kids and if they were attentive and educated enough then they would pick the right ones, but sadly, most of them don't and these are the parents who form groups and become majority of society and thus where it starts to become a social issue.
  20. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

I believe it is a social problem, mainly because alcohol is always associated to social interactions. Some people think it is a necessary part of any events or gatherings. That's why we have the term "social drinking" right? Unfortunately, for quite a good number of people, social drinking becomes way too much to the point that alcohol has become a vice already.