An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is Alcohol a must in a party?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Hozyboy, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Hozyboy

Hozyboy Active Contributor

I am a teenager and it is usually like a requirement for alcohol to be present in a party. Here we engage in a lot of activities we tend to regret in the following day.

So do you think that it is a must to have alcohol in a party or it will be no fun without it?
  2. Droz

Droz Member

Alcohol is definitely not a must to have fun. The party is what you make it. In fact, many parties have been ruined by too much alcohol. Unfortunately, when a person's judgement is dulled from alcohol it can often lead to poor decisions. Many people have had to pay the price the next morning and long thereafter from drinking too much the night before. As you get older, the hangover symptoms get worse. Being sober at a party or any other social function is a small price to pay for the potential trouble that alcohol can cause.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

You can enjoy yourself at parties without alcohol but it would be almost impossible to convince all your friends that they can have fun without alcohol. Anyway here are some ways you can have fun without alcohol:

- Have a "dance only" party.
    - Try some karaoke.
    - I've been to parties where all we got was food. A tasty meal is far much better than alcohol. Have backyard parties with food and maybe a movie. I'm sure everyone would enjoy themselves immensely.
    MsLucy likes this.
  4. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I don't think it is, you still can have fun without alcohol, I would even go as far as to say that you can have more fun. If you have alcohol at a party it will lead to alcohol abuse. If that happens it can really make the party chaotic.
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

You don't need alcohol at a party to have fun. That's true if you're a teenager or an adult. Alcohol is overrated. Since we quit drinking 7+ years ago, my wife and I have hosted many parties, all of them without alcohol. And they've all been great. Also, as a teenager you're setting yourself up for trouble if you have a party and serve alcohol, because it's illegal.
  6. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

You can definitely have fun without alcohol at a party! The best way is to make sure there are other activities to do. Movies, karoake, games, costumes... there are so many other things you can do to spice up a party! Look into some party theme websites, it takes a bit of creativity but I think you can have a lot MORE FUN with interactive activities at a party instead of just sitting around and getting drunk! Sad that your friends think this way already at such young ages.
  7. L_B

L_B Community Champion

You don't need alcohol to have fun. You can have a lot of fun being sober. That way you can remember everything that happened and you have no regrets of things that you said or did while drinking. Drinking causes a lot more problems then good if it is over consumed. It may start out as a drink or two but it can quickly change and before you are wasted. I think attending a party and having a good time is way more fun without alcohol.
  8. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

No it is not a must. I think people are just uncreative and cant find activities that are also fun without it. But from my own experience it is not a necessity. Finding the right friends is a start and also finding something you all like to do.

Also dont fall into peer pressure and think everyone else is doing it than I should be too. You can attend parties and not drink a drop. I have alot of friends who love to drink. I use to be an alcoholic. But I can now go to parties and not drink. I just enjoy being with friends and looking out for them.
  9. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

You can organize a great party without having alcohol. I did not include alcohol in my wedding reception party and it was great. When my sister was getting married, we did not include alcohol in the menu and it was fine with guests. There are variety of non-alcoholic drinks to enjoy in the party
  10. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

The absence of alcohol should not be an excuse not to have fun at a party. However at the majority of parties if alcohol is not available It's going to be a lame duck situation. For many persons, alcohol is the ultimate vibes master, so they have got to have it to liven-up themselves.
  11. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Like everyone else, I also think that alcohol is not a requirement for any fun party. I always felt that is was the people at the party that made the party fun. Believe me, some of the best fun I ever had was playing charades and all the other dumb games with friends at a party instead of getting drunk.
  12. 6up

6up Community Champion

It is not a must to have people take alcohol in parties. What if those who have attended the party don't take alcohol? I think that is an old tradition that should stop. There is a lot that you can do at a party. You can dance and enjoy eating difference foods, you can also share ideas on how to prosper in life. You can listen to music and watch videos instead of thinking that you should be taking alcohol.
  13. I guess the thread is pretty unanimous in this: alcohol is not a must in any party. If you really want to have fun then have some great party games or a themed party or something like that. If you have alcohol then people will just line up at the bar and not interact with each other (or interact with each other in an unacceptable sort of way)
  14. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

If you really want to.have fun at a party it isnt the parts where you are drunk, but the moments you remember spending it with people you actually like and doing things you actually enjoy doing. Hope we could help. :)
  15. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

You don't need alcohol to have a good time at a party. If you realize this within your self then your friends should be able to do the same. You don't need to be drunk period. Especially getting drunk in an unfamiliar place is a bad idea. You don't want to risk doing something you'll regret later.
  16. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

NOPE!
    There is only one must have for parties, good people!
    It helps if you have some good food too.
    As someone who went to A LOT of booze and drug fueled parties, and now goes to many sober social events I can tell you sober parties are actually way better.
    You can have better conversations with people and make real connections when you're not all messed up. You don't feel like crud the next day too and you never regret things you said or did.
  17. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Most people rationalize that alcohol is a must in a party to rev up the fun and clear social inhibitions. Most alcohol addicts started the rollercoster ride to addiction in such events. Many people took their first sip of beer at a party.
  18. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

Alcohol these days is a must in a party, there's no way around that. Most people recall the best moments always by drunk people, like if drunk were the heroes. How crazy can this be?
  19. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is not a must and we have been partying for long years without alcoholic beverages. I personally know some who think that it is not a party without alcohol but it is just in his mind. Party can still be fun with lots of things without the alcohol like singing, dancing, games, good foods and good people.
  20. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

Yeah, there are different sort of parties and I am glad you are making yours alcohol free @zaerine. At the same time most people still consume a lot of alcohol in their parties.