An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is Alcohol a must in a party?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Hozyboy, Feb 15, 2016.

1. juno

juno Community Champion

In my opinion, alcohol is not a must at a party, it is rather a plus. However, social norms have made it a necessity for parties.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Not a plus. Not a necessity. Not even remotely necessary in order to have a fun party. Just my opinion, though! :)
    Momma9 and oportosanto like this.
  3. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

I use to think so when I was younger..but would regret it the next day. A party is what you make it, and should be treated as such. Good friends and good food...and of course great music constitutes a great party to start with. Have great fun and think positive thoughts in these situations. These things are all in the mind.
  4. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

Well you have to believe that the answer is no, but in reality it kind of just is. At least it is in my experience. As an adult, most every event you go to has alcohol as a part, and when you do not drink you are usually in the minority. It is not a necessity to have a good time but it is always there.
  5. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

Yep, I totally agree with this, it's not a plus or a necessity, but many people see it like that and that is why everyone drinks and gets drunk, like it's something positive.
    deanokat likes this.
  6. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

There are a lot of parties that can be fun without alcohol as long as the social interactions and activities are balanced. A lot of people, especially young people think that alcohol is necessary because it helps people to become more open to each other and promote those social blending in parties. In other words, as long as a party organizer can create a party to engage most of the participants, I think alcohol is not necessary.
  7. henry

henry Community Champion

In my opinion, it's a must because people has made it a must. There are many ways of partying that doesn't involve drinking or drugs, but such a thing would be considered boring by most people, because the party=alcohol has become part of most cultures.
  8. NeonSuitcase

NeonSuitcase Member

Alcohol is not a must for a party or any other situation, but a lot of times it will be present. What is important to remember is that alcohol is not a must for YOU to have fun. You can still see your friends, have fun, chat and do all the rest of the things without consuming alcohol. You may find yourself on the receiving end of lots of "What did I do last night?!" texts and phone calls ;) When at a party and not drinking, I always remind myself of this : I've never woken up after a sober night and regretted NOT drinking.
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Not really people who are creative don't need it. There are a lot of other things that are a must at a party besides alcohol. Activities, good food and music will help keep things from getting dull. I think that if a party is really good it won't matter if you drink or not.
  10. oportosanto

I feel that most people don't realize how harmful alcohol is so they use it to relieve stress and drink now and again. If it's not often it's not that bad, but it's not doing us any good that is for sure.
  11. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

People believe the lie that there's no fun without substances. But you can have just as much fun, if not more without it. Especially if you have a good group of friends.
  12. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Weeeeell, if it's a really good party and you are actually socializing with people you like, then I'd say no. I only drink a bit in parties or family reunions where I know I'll be with people I can't stand, like for example my in laws. They're awful people, so I might need to drink a little bit in order to survive the holidays ;) But otherwise, nah, being sober is better when you are socializing with people you like and love.
  13. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

No, of course alcohol is not a must at any party. While it's kind of gotten ingrained into as a society that we have to have alcohol at a "grown up" party, that's not the case at all. Of course, some folks seem to think otherwise. But, believe it or not, not everyone likes to party and drink and get intoxicated. Some folks just like to converse, socialize and have a good time without the extra help of alcohol.
  14. oportosanto

There are people like those you mention gmck, but they aren't that many. Usually those people don't have the speed or energy of others, no wonder if you are partying until dawn...
  15. rush

rush Member

Alcohol is not needed to enjoy yourself. A lot of people tend to use it for self confidence, especially at night club's however, if your with a group of good friend's you wouldn't need alcohol. My opinion. :)
  16. Geeka

Geeka Member

I wouldn't go so far so as to say it's a must to have alcohol at a party. It's the people that make the party a party, and not the alcohol. And there's also the mood of the party as well and not to mention the reason for the party. I've made parties with and without alcohol and I don't think with or without it would make a party better or worse.
  17. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I can honestly say that a party without alcohol is a bit dull. Sure you still can talk to your friends and what not, but alcohol does get everyone loose and things seems to be more exciting. It is just a temporary high. If you love life then you don't need the excess and you will be comfortable in your own skin. Trust me when I say, alcohol and parties, bad things can happen.
  18. oportosanto

It all depends on the kind of people on the party. If it's people accostumed to drinking, sure, but if we find good alternatives to drinking a party can be entertaining.
  19. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Well, I haven't attended a party where alcohol wasn't available. I will even add that at least around 80% of party goers will consume alcohol. Fortunately, the majority won't drink so much alcohol that they become inebriated. But one doesn't need to drink alcohol in order to have fun. We need to put an end to that myth.
  20. yaitsjonny

yaitsjonny Member

I think it all depends on your kind of party and of the people you are with. I feel that most people should be able to have a good time without including any kind of substance. Unfortunately, for some, like myself, we require that extra rush that alcohol provides to really have a good time.