An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is Alcohol a must in a party?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Hozyboy, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

I have always encouraged my children to be leaders and trend setters. Host alcohol free parties with your friends and others will follow your lead. We have bonfires in the fall, water parties in the summer, etc. Volleyball, badminton, horseshoes, and such can be a blast. A friend has a cage fighting gym set up in his barn where teens and others hang out on Friday night. They have pull up/push up and deadlifting contests and sparring. Even my younger children love to go. No drugs or alcohol.
    deanokat and oportosanto like this.
  2. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

Very well said momma! We need not only to set the example for our kids, but also give them ideas to alternative parties alcohol free, they will thank us later. :)
    deanokat likes this.
  3. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

I don't think that alcohol is a 'must' in a party. Last Sunday, I went to a family party (where alcohol was not ordered) and I was having some fun talking to my family members and many strangers. Well, I don't need alcohol for fun. It just destroys your life. You should avoid it at all costs.
  4. Mara

Mara Community Champion

If I was asked that question 20 or so years ago, my answer would have been a resounding YES. But now that I'm much older (and hopefully wiser), I would say NO. You don't need alcohol to have fun at parties. All you need to do is be with the company of good people. That's it. And yeah, good food. You should not forget food. :D
  5. kgord

kgord Community Champion

NO, and the older you get you will find the less likely it is to be used as a social lubricant. Plenty of people drink as they continue to age, but alchohol is less and less likely to be featured at an adult party and more of an afterthought. This is unless it is a football day and everyone is drinking beer, or it is a wine and cheese or holiday party. It is more than socially acceptable not to drink.
  6. lonelyfaith

lonelyfaith Member

It's not a must but a lot of parties do have alcohol. That is why I don't go to them anymore. I rarely went to parties much anyway but there was always alcohol involved. I don't know why people think they can't have fun without it. I guess it makes people feel more social and less awkward. That's why I used to drink when I did. Most of the time when people think of partying they think of drinking or drugs or both. Sad but true/
  7. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

When I was younger I thought so but that was just lack of confidence, attitude in general and many other things. Recently I realised I actually do not like drinking outside of my home. If nothing, if I am the only one sober I have better chances to score with some chick :) That is not the point but only a possibility. When you're drunk you cannot speak normally let alone do something more.
  8. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I don't really think it made it more fun as it just made people less nervous about what to say and what to do. I don't even remember half of the stuff I did or said when I was drunk. All I remember was that I didn't care about anything or anyone anymore and I liked being numb.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

No way! I don't think alcohol is needed at all to have a good time. In fact, when I look back at when I used to drink and really battled the demons of alcoholism, alcohol was the catalyst for a BAD time - it always resulted in bad decisions, messed up emotions, often being physically sick - all of those things don't sound like a good time to me!

These days my idea of a good time is a dinner and board game night with friends. Perfect!
  10. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

I have gone to parties where we do not drink alcohol and we still have a lot of fun doing some other things so the point is that you definitely do not need to have alcohol in a party to have fun, you know what is a must have? MUSIC, a party without music is never going to be fun.
  11. oportosanto

That's the whole thing, we can have fun without alcohol, but for some reason we are accustomed to drinking, so it's seems odd not to do it. It's a cultural thing that needs to be changed.
    deanokat likes this.
  12. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

There are a lot of parties that managed to be fun even without the presence of alcohol. In fact, it's not so much on the alcohol as the company you're with and what goes on when you're together that makes a party fun. I've been to several parties when I was a teenager and alcohol wasn't even in the menu. Everyone had a great time still.

You teenagers should start reinventing your idea of fun parties. Only then can you be free from unnecessary social pressures and wrong judgments.
  13. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

It certainly isn't a must, but it is a common thing to do at parties. If you don't want to drink, simply do not drink. Don't let anyone pressure you into doing something you don't want to do.
  14. oportosanto

Yeah, just yesterday I was at a kids party in the afternoon, but all the adults were drinking alcohol, so it's a strong cultural thing that can only be changed with time.
  15. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

Alcohol is not mandatory in a party but once it is not present, there are tendencies that your guests will leave, boo the host or think you are uncool.

It all depends on the host; he/she is left to please the guests or just make the party as fun as possible without alcohol.
  16. Novelangel

Novelangel Active Contributor

I've actually never even attended a party where alcohol was the main drink offered. I think if it existed at all on the premises, it was pretty much left in the background as an option, but not pushed as the main drink. Usually, at parties I've attended, bottles or cans of pop are offered, or punch is made. These drinks are often more desired than the alcoholic ones anyway. Plus, they are considerably cheaper for the host to purchase, making them more popular than alcohol... at least on the wallet.
  17. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

There can definitely be fun in a party without alcohol, but people tend to only learn that in their older ages. However, alcohol tends to make people more courageous in a party so they can express easier their feelings. I would say, that just a little bit of alcohol in a party, makes it more enjoyable, but there is definitely fun without alcohol, I've been on many occasions where we would laugh our lungs out without any alcohol or any other drug. It all depends on the moods of people, and the people themselves, if you are with a bunch of people who are sad as a natural state, I wouldn't expect too much fun with or without alcohol.
  18. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

This thread is so crazy! I never drank much in high school or college and I was at countless parties. Now, I have been to many parties that probably would NOT have been fun without alcohol, and I basically had to reconsider the kinds of parties I was going to, and the kinds of friends I was hanging around with. If you are in a social group that requires alcohol to enjoy, you might want to look into making some new friends, based on other hobbies or interests you have.
  19. oportosanto

That's quite right, we don't need to drink and if our friends push us into that we might consider look for new friends.
  20. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Absolutely not. There are a lot of ways you can enjoy yourself without partaking in alcoholic drinks. I've had those pressures before, and it's easier to walk away from the people who keep pushing you rather than just accepting that you can say no to what you do not like. I hope this helps, stay strong.