An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is anyone else addicted to Facebook?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by madetofly, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Bozz

Bozz Active Contributor

Anything can become a bad addiction if it rolls over into other parts of your life - takes too much of your time or takes away time from other things you should be doing.

@Tremmie you're right, they are still bad addictions, even if they may not directly be damaging your health they are damaging other aspects of your life
  2. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

So many people are addicted to Facebook because it is a fun site. But every addiction is bad, there is nothing like good addiction (correct me if I'm wrong).

It is better to moderate the time spent on Facebook, just for the sake of having value for the site when you are not there.
  3. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I remember during the first few years of Facebook, everyone I know was playing FarmVille. You know that game where you take care of a farm with animals and grow it. And during that time, I didn't even have a Facebook account. I remember being out of place whenever my friends talked about Facebook, their farms and all other games on it. Still, at that time, I remained strong and resisted creating an account in Facebook.

As time passed by, I realised just how much I'm suffering. My group mates talk about our thesis on Facebook. My teachers send some files over Facebook. So that's when I decided to create my own account. And yup, that's when I got addicted to Facebook as well. I remember being meticulous about every picture I upload. It has to be perfect. I remember editing my profile so that it's updated.

It was only when I got into working online that I stopped being addicted to Facebook. I realised just how much better my time could be spend. Imagine, writing articles and earning money. Then downloading apps to earn gift cards. I got addicted to earning money online... But I don't think that's a bad thing. At least I'm earning money.

So my suggestion is to find other ways or areas where you can spend your time fruitfully. Really, what do we get out of Facebook anyway? So what if our pictures get a hundred likes? What can that do to us? Nothing. Whereas, sharpening our skills, working... These are lucrative things. I'd much rather spend my time doing these.
  4. Bozz

Bozz Active Contributor

oh goodness, the time I wasted on mafia wars......no point feeling guilty about it now, as long as we all learn from our mistakes :)
  5. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Personally I am using this social media site which is Facebook to communicate everyday with my family especially my mother because I am far away from them since I migrated in another country. Everyday I always log in to my Facebook account to check if had messages coming from my family and to check some new updates from my friends and relatives and what is already happening to their lives. They are the people who are my only friends in my Facebook account and I do not make friends to strangers. I may not call this a form of addiction on my part because I am using this social media with a purpose and not for anything else.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I visit Facebook occasionally, but I don't spend more than 2 hours on it browsing photos. You can consider yourself already addicted to Facebook if that's what you do all day and night and it hampers your daily routine already, so try to curb that habit if possible.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  7. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

When I first started, I was totally addicted to Facebook. I was so insecure with the number of my friend list, I was insecure about the accomplishments of what people do in their lives. It was very toxic, and I felt really bad about myself, fostering my depression even more. Now that I stopped going there, I could gain my confidence back, since comparing yourself to other people is not very healthy. Trust me on this.
  8. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I guess we are all addicted to Facebook at some extent, because without it we can't live our lives normally, for example, I can't simply walk away from Facebook, because there are all the news about my college group and all the new projects are being posted in a group.

However I do not consider myself addicted to the point you are referring, even though sometimes I find myself just scrolling down out of boredom.
  9. Donnchadh

Donnchadh Active Contributor

I don't have a Facebook account so I can see exactly how it's taking over people's lives. Any time I call to people's homes or they call to mine they're glued to their devices. It's good and bad. Good in the fact that it's easy to keep in touch with people. But bad in the fact that it's destroying the human one to one art of conversation.My own personal opinion is that people should set aside maybe 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening. And interact more on a human level outside their set times.Another observation I've made is whenever their batteries run down moods change therfore it does have a negative impact on people just like any form of addiction.I know a few people who have taken the 30/30 minutes plan and their more chatty. Merely an observation I've made it may help more people to connect with each other on a face to face or by phone especially in neighbourhoods
    deanokat likes this.
  10. owning a facebook profile is addicted to it. Those who claim they are not are the ones who are the most addicted of all. They are in denial. The good thing is that this addiction can only steal your time and it cannot really hurt you. The bad thing

"This addiction can only steal your time and cannot really hurt you"
    ...... We are *all* on limited time. Out of all the things we think are so important right now ....time is constantly ticking away regardless.
    I, personally don't mind wasting quite a bit of time on the frivolous.
    But for those who do ..... Time. She is a' ticken'⏰
  11. BernardRichhi

BernardRichhi Member

Hello madetofly,

I am addicted to Facebook like you.Facebook is a very popular social networking site with over eight hundred million users.It was a very bad addiction and I a currently out of it. Facebook addiction ruined my life.Facebook addiction is bad as cocaine.I decided to cut Facebook from my life.Addiction of Facebook is bad for mental health.It often causes depression and irritation.On Facebook, it is very easy for cyber bullies to thrive. Facebook is notorious for causing couples to break up.Facebook often leads to distraction.Facebook addiction is bad actually. But if we use it in a minimal way, It is good also because it tells us different news, it helps us to stay connected as well.Just minimal the use and see the positive result.