An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is binge eating an addiction?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Carnold23, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

Do you all consider binge eating an addiction?
    My mother will eat normally for days at a time and then she will have a binge eating session and eat everything in sight. I am wondering if that is an addiction or a problem and if I should try to talk to her about it?
  2. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Yes, you should consider talking to her about it. Binge eating is a serious issue that leads to several health problems, such as obesity and clogged arteries. It is not an addiction, but that doesn't mean it isn't harmful. Approach her and tell her that you're worried about her health condition, mothers can really change the way they see things if their own children discuss the problem with them.
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I think it can be an addiction, you should definitely talk to her about it. Maybe your mother has some problems or is under a lot of stress and she uses food as an outlet, I know a lot of people that used to binge eat due to having a lot of issues. Good luck!
  4. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

You know what, there are days that I'm like this. I can usually go for weeks or months without cravings. But when I see a big bag of potato chips or some food that I like, I can finish that in one sitting. I think, with your question, binge eating is a disorder. It may have some more deeper issue or problem with it, other than just being a binge eating session. Try asking your mom if she is under some stress or problem which makes her binge eat. It can be a serious condition, depending on the frequency of her binge eating.

But I must say, even the healthiest individuals give in to cravings sometimes. So it's really important to know if it's just giving into cravings or binge eating. Some people though use food as a reward or an option, for when they are happy, stressed or depressed. You need to distinguish between these and find out where your mom belongs to.
  5. Just Another Shallow Man

Just Another Shallow Man Active Contributor

It's an eating disorder, not necessarily an addiction, though it can be similar to an addiction. If the binge eating is always triggered by certain specific foodstuffs, then it might be an addiction to specific foodstuffs, though.
    dechantajones likes this.
  6. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Sometimes the eyes sees a food which is sweet or sugary and wants it and does not think of the consequences which can be bad for the body, and we need to think of what can happen if we consume more than we need in our body. It can be easy to do this sometimes stress or a person just feels like it and sometimes the unhealthy food can make it seem good to do, but in the long run it will be bad for the body and can cause the weight to increase. I reckon that it can be easier to eat more food than we need in the body which can make us want more and not think about what can happen to us later on.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not think that it is already an addiction. There are times that I do eat a lot too when cravings strike. I think it will be just okay to talk about it with her cause you are concern about it.
  8. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Active Contributor

Binge eating is definitely a serious problem irrespective of whether or not it's an addiction. It can lead to serious health issues, from increased blood pressure, cholesterol to diabetes and even respiratory and coronary problems. It's best if you talk her into going to a counselor if she's unable to control how much she eats.
  9. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I do think that people can be addicted to food like they are addicted to other things in life. It does not necessarily have to be a drug in order for it to be addictive if you have an addictive personality. Some people really love food for the comfort that it brings them and it can become a problem if you eat way to much. As the others said, serious health issues can arise from eating too much. The obvious is becoming overweight, and then there are clogged arteries, a stretched stomach, and so many more issues.
  10. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Definitely. My father used to binge eat when he was younger which eventually led to health complications. My mom tried to dissuade him from this bad eating habit, but to no avail. Eventually, we had to rush to him to hospital as he nearly suffered a stroke. Fortunately, this event jolted him into adopting a more healthy eating pattern and sticking to a diet, which the doctor advised him to follow.
  11. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

It's definitely a problem. See if you can find any patterns. Usually, binge eating is triggered by something, usually by depression or other external stimulus.
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I'd also agree that this is an issue. However, your mom needs to work out what it is that makes her binge in the first place. If she can solve this problem then she's less likely to use food as a crutch.
  13. misskrystal1982

misskrystal1982 Active Contributor

Yes, I would talk to her about it. Maybe it's not something she does as a conscious decision? When it comes to binge eating though, it can be very bad for her health. I would approach her and tell her you are very concerned and don't want anything bad to happen to her.
    Maybe it will help her realize what she is doing and change.
  14. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I think this is definitely an addiction. If it us something the can't stop whenever she wants, then she has a problem. I don't know what she is going through but there maybe something stressing her out.
  15. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

I know someone who replaced their addiction to alcohol and cigarettes with an addiction to food. He has a hard time dealing with food for days at a time, though, and not just binge eating for one day. If food is in front of him, he will eat it. It is difficult for him to pass up opportunities to eat, even when he is not hungry. I think it is possible to have an addiction to food, however, your mother may not necessarily have an addiction.
  16. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

Thank you everyone for your replies! I'm going to try to talk to her about it as soon as I can. I really appreciate everyone's help.
  17. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Binge eating can definitely be an addiction. When someone doesn't know when to stop or does, but keeps going anyway because they lack self control. It's something they need to get help for.
  18. KennedyBaby19

KennedyBaby19 Active Contributor

I think she at least has an eating disorder. Definitely sit down and have a talk with her! She may want to get help but don't really know how. Make sure to tell her that you love her and that you're there for her no matter what.