An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is chewing tobacco more dangerous then smoking?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Carnold23, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I have a friend who's father is addicted to chewing tobacco. Besides it being extremely gross, is it more dangerous then smoking cigarettes?
    I am worried for his health, he is already not in the greatest health and he is older.
    I don't know if i should approach him with concern or not. We are close, but I am worried this would be crossing the line since I am his daughters friend and not his family.
    What do you think?
  2. 6up

6up Community Champion

Chewing tobacco is as bad as smoking it. Risks associated with chewing tobacco include getting mouth and throat cancer. We should completely avoid chewing tobacco. I had a friend who used to chew tobacco and that made his lips turn yellow as if he had applied yellow lipstick.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Smokeless tobacco is neither more harmful nor less harmful than tobacco that is smoked. Some health risks of chewing tobacco are:

- It increases the risk of getting mouth, tongue, cheek, pancreatic cancer. If that makes chewing tobacco worse than smoking I don't know but fact is both are bad for anyone's health.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

All forms of tobacco is harmful, and unfortunately there isn't one way of getting it into your body without taking a risk.

I think a lot of people DO think it's safer but the risks associated with chewing tobacco are the same as those associated with smoking.
  5. Fillit

Fillit Member

Besides cancer and other health risks that are associated with nicotine, chewing tobacco and snuss will effect the health of your teeth and gums. Namely the gums will start to receed exposing parts of teeth that are more susceptible for cavities. The tissue and teeth discoloration that comes with it is just a cherry on top.
  6. L_B

L_B Community Champion

The only thing about chewing tobacco is that you are not making others take in your second hand smoke. The only one you are doing harm to is yourself. It can cause mouth and throat cancer. There was a guy my dad knew who use to chew tobacco. He got cancer of the tongue and had to have his tongue removed. It was very sad.
  7. dkelly

dkelly Active Contributor

Second hand smoke is the only thing that makes chewing it less than smoking it. No one else has to experience the effects when it is chewed. That being said, it is just as harmful to the user regardless of how he or she consumes it.
  8. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

It does seem to be worse in many people's opinion but I'm not sure how justified that belief is. Can chewing something really be more harmful than setting fire to it and breathing in the fumes? I wouldn't have thought so. I did, however, once know a guy who used snuff - tobacco which you sniff. It caused him major health problems and he is no longer with us. That stuff damaged his health a lot quicker than I've known smoking tobacco to damage people's health.
  9. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

I'm a smoker myself, and I consider chewing tobacco just as bas a smoking it. The only difference is that chewing it looks more disgusting, less cool (in the sense that it's less marketable), and only affects physically the person that is consuming it.
  10. Leanna_Jeanne

Leanna_Jeanne Member

I don't know that it's more harmful than smoking, although you may be at a higher risk for certain diseases that are more specific to chewing tobacco. I will say there's something (perhaps the look of it, the wad in your mouth, or spitting it out) even less attractive about chewing to me.
  11. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This is a tricky one I think you should talk to his daughter. Because your not related to him or his spouse who knows how it may go. It's really good that someone cares about him tho. I don't know if chewing tobacco is more dangerous than smoking it, but I heard it can cause cancer in your mouth. The best thing to do is leave it up to his family to talk to him about it.
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right that it looks like more dangerous since there are more possible cancer diseases associated from chewing tobacco just like what have been mentioned on above posts. But definitely both smoking and chewing tobacco is dangerous for anyone's health.
  13. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

I tried to chew tobacco only once, and I really don't see why people like it. I mean, smoking, as bad as it is, gives you that melancholic feeling on a rainy day, but I don't see what psychological benefits would chewing tobacco bring to the table...
  14. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Chewing tobacco will often result in oral cancer, it has been seen over and over. It's terrible, just google smokeless tobacco and you might end up seeing the pictures of some oral cancer survivors. It's terrible, I hope your friend's dad can stop that nasty habit. I think more people have resulted with oral cancer from that than anything else.
  15. mayasupernova

mayasupernova Active Contributor

If you are being worried about your friend's father's chewing tobacco, instead of just going to that person, telling him about how harmful that thing is, maybe you can take a bit of a sway road, and talk to your friend about it. Then your friend could go on to his or her father and introduce all the negative things that chewing a tobacco can bring to him. Sometimes people who smoke or chew tobacco are not really aware of all the disease that can cause, so a lit bit of spreading awareness cannot be that harmful, at least it won't be as harmful as actually chewing it. Good luck!
  16. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I think it's just as harmful, it just doesn't affect the same areas that smoking tobacco does. People that chew tobacco can develop gum disease or even worse. The harm of chewing tobacco hasn't been as publicized as smoking it, but it is just as harmful.
  17. JakeLamotta

JakeLamotta Active Contributor

Chewing tobacco is also harmful to health but if someone is hell bent on consuming tobacco, the best option with minimum health risks is Swedish made Snus packets. These are pasteurized during manufacturing to kill cancer causing bacteria, but be warned that U.S. made Snus is not made with the proper processing so if you are using this, stick to the Swedish ones.