An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is cocaine a drug more accepted in society?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by JoanMcWench, Feb 12, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

I've noticed people get away with abusing cocaine by getting things done in society. I figure it's much like a functional alcoholic in that way. Where less people are aware of your issue or notice it at all because you are more productive generally speaking. Because of this, especially in a work environment, is cocaine a more accepted addiction in society?
  2. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Am deeply shocked that we can compare cocaine users to functional alcoholics. Have we really lost it that much? Am even more perplexed that we can deduce that cocaine users are more productive in the working environment ! Am lost for words !
  3. Sarman

Sarman Member

I gre up under the assumption that cocaine was the second worst drug after Heroin. I suppose I only knew of Heroin, Ecstacy, Cocaine and Cannabis then. I'd still say it's probably in the top 4 worst drugs of all.
  4. orangesunset

orangesunset Active Contributor

Before they burn out, they can be highly productive. When cocaine was first invented, it was recommended by Freud as a way to perk you up, Freud then describes how he was much more productive when using it. But after two years he became highly addicted to it. The author of Sherlock Holmes used cocaine also, and in the books Sherlock Holmes was using cocaine, in the books he also got addicted and that is why he had to disappear for a while.

Freud actually was mailing out cocaine samples to his friends.
  5. unrealjoe

unrealjoe Member

Cocaine is widely accepted in the affect that its an illegal, profit making success drug. Although those who use it while in their hyper trip, are highly prolific, it is highly dangerous and many first time users experience near death experiences. I agree that it can be an adderal-esque boost, the risk is not at all worth it.
  6. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Cocaine is widely used by many people - celebrities, professionals, ordinary folks and the like. However, just because it is used by a number of people that doesn't mean it is ultimately an acceptable drug, worthy of promotion in society. Between cocaine and marijuana, the latter is more widely accepted. States even fight to legalize it for "medical purposes," so long as it's kept to a regulated dosage.
    Redrun likes this.
  7. orangesunset

Cocaine is viewed as a high status drug, something famous people use. Crack cocaine is viewed as something people in the Ghetto use. Perception plays a large role, if people see rich people using the drug, they will automatically assume it is not that harmful. Or worse yet assume it is good to use.

There are functional alchoholics, cocaine users etc. That does not justify the use of the drug.
    stariie and Redrun like this.
  8. Redrun

Redrun Member

Yes I like what orangesunset said. Just because people use it, doesn't mean it's justified. There are plenty of other ways to be a high functioning individual. You don't have to abuse substances in order to do that. The problem with cocaine, as with all other drugs, is the damage it does to your body and the dependency you develop. There are many harmful side effects to cocaine as well which can make you less functional than if you were completely off it.

Some of these side effects include irritability, paranoia, restlessness and anxiety. You may get high levels of energy and activity, but imagine what kind of activity that would be. Is it really the kind of state of mind you want to be in when you have serious work to concentrate on?

Someone mentioned Freud. Look at the state of Freudian psychology right now. Completely debunked as utter rubbish. This is what happens when you attempt to make something lasting when high on cocaine
  9. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I don't think a lot of people would tell others they use it even if it is for health issues since it can be addictive and keep you high or make you do things you would not do normally. Some people claim, it helps them stay up or work real well not sure how true that is and can it be proved really. I don't think it is good when working as you could make some bad choices and will regret it later on which will not be good for the boss you work for.
  10. kate23

kate23 Member

I don't know, I've always considered cocaine to be one of the most dangerous drugs and considered by society as unacceptable to use. I've never heard anyone act as if it's okay to use or worth using because of its level of productive usefulness.

I think, though, that sometimes people do try to justify using drugs because they're able to be more creative while using them or because it gives them more energy, but surely that doesn't justify the damage that drugs can do to your mind and your body.
  11. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I wouldn't necessarily say it's more socially acceptable these days. When I first started hitting up the night clubs in the mid 90's, I saw a lot more people openly using it then than I do these days. It wasn't uncommon to go in the men's room and see several people huddled together in one stall. In fact, some places took to purposefully grinding/distressing the tops of their toilets so patrons couldn't cut lines on them. I was constantly seeing "ring around the nose" on a lot of people too. But these days, the young folks I see out at the bars are either not doing it as much or they are being a lot more discreet about it if they are. Plus I've noticed that those who don't use it seem to be more quick to shun people in their circle of friends who do use it, and stop hanging around them.

Cocaine seemed "cool" at one point in time, when myself and many of my friends were doing it regularly, but after being around someone who "parties" a lot, as anyone will tell you, they can get really annoying. It makes you overly emotional and emphatic about every little stupid thing, not to mention the non stop talking and rambling. People get tired of that stuff real fast.

Maybe since weed is becoming more socially acceptable as it's being legalized in many states, they're not even bothering with cocaine anymore. Also, the rising synthetics market put a big dent in the cocaine trade.
  12. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I tend to hear more stories about people turning to amphetamine or meth in order to increase their productivity than I do about them turning to cocaine to increase productivity. I can also think of many examples. Lemmy from Motorhead being just one of them (although he had problems with alcohol too). There are also certain writers who used amphetamine to increase their productivity. JFK and Hitler were also both amphetamine users.
  13. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I think in certain circles of society, yes it is. Everyone knows that Hollywood types are famous for their cocaine use.
    It might be frowned up as a 'drug', but if one is going to take a drug at all in the upper echelons of society, it needs to be coke.
  14. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Reminds me of the Whitney Houston interview years ago, with Diane Sawyer. Whitney was having a fit about being accused of smoking crack, saying, "Crack is whack..." and getting very upset about it.

Not necessarily getting upset about being accused of using drugs, but very upset about being accused of smoking crack. Crack was beneath her.
    Crack has a "dirty", low-status connotation to it, whereas coke is seen in some circles as a clean, 'pure' drug.
    orangesunset likes this.
  15. orangesunset

Well the same thing exists with booze. I had an old friend who was a recovering alcoholic tell me a story, the guy was had fallen so low he was living on the street. He is wandering the streets, and he sees an advertisement for whiskey that said "Gentlemen drink scotch", so he said to himself "I am a gentleman I need to buy a bottle of scotch". So he worked extra hard the day begging to get enough money for a bottle of scotch. This shows the insanity of addiction.

Whether you drink cheap wine or scotch, if you are living on the street, you still have a drinking problem.
  16. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Absolutely not! Cocaine addiction is one of the most frowned upon addiction in our society and many people don''t ever want to be known as a crack addict. I think tobacco addiction is the most socially accepted because tobacco use is legal and so people don't usually call people who smoke tobacco very often addicts.
  17. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

I think cocaine, apart from the Freud thing, was also used as a go-to easy to get remedy back in the days, and mothers would give it to their kids to help belly aches, it was seen as a wonder drug. This article from mentalfloss has pretty fun points about its general medicinal history:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/57988/11-unbelievable-moments-cocaines-early-medical-history

That said, I don't think cocaine has such a good rep these days. Okay, if it comes on movie, the use of cocaine will be associated with rich and power. Whereas the use of crack will be low class, bums and dangerous people; weed will be associated with fun but unmotivated stoners; and heroin will be the "rock bottom" thing. So I guess coke does not have the worse mediatised image. But in real life? Nah, if you tell anyone that someone they care about has a thing for coke, they will not say "Oh, cool" or "What's the big deal?" like they might say if you tell them they enjoy drinking or hitting a bong, for instance.
  18. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I consider coke a hard drug. I don't know what the general perception is on the drug, but I don't find it's use acceptable. I've tried it a couple times and didn't understand what the buzz is or why people are so into it. I prefer weed myself.
  19. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

It is for the elite and mostly used by workaholics. It keeps them up and apparently, they tend to work more when they are high on it. Sadly, it is often abused and it is very addictive.
  20. jbepp

jbepp Active Contributor

Cocaine is very popular but I don't think it has become more accepted. Cocaine along with Heroine will always be those taboo drugs, the ones where you just take it once and become instantly addicted (It's not true but I'm sure it's what many people think). It's also really expensive so I don't think many people can afford it.