An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is cocaine a drug more accepted in society?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by JoanMcWench, Feb 12, 2015.

1. itsnotmeitsu

itsnotmeitsu Member

It's become commonplace here but it really depends on your circle. If you are with people that have never experienced hard drugs then it's just as taboo as it always was, but the circle of users is widening as far as I can tell, leading to increased overall acceptance
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Here in the UK, i think cocaine is now very much more accepted in society than what it was even as little as five years ago. Now its quite common to see people taking it on nights out and it seems a lot more freely available than what it ever has been.
    I think marijuana will probably always be the most used drug here in england but i would have to say that cocaine is certainly the second most used.
    Just because its more common than it ever has been, does this also mean it more acceptable? I'd have to say yes. It's talked about a lot more than what it used to be and is now a normal part of a night out. if somebody says they've got some coke or are taking coke before they go out its just accepted now, when i think at one time it was frowned upon.
  3. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Where I grew up it was very accepted. I'd hang out with people and we'd do blow together all the time. One day, being the genius I am, I suggested me and my friends do some heroin next time instead. The looks I got were priceless. It's weird though, I've seen cocaine do worse things than heroin. Maybe that's just where I grew up though.
  4. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

It might be that because coke is so expensive, you must have enough disposable income to fund your habit.
  5. Nick Anthony

Nick Anthony Active Contributor

It's not the most accepted drug in society, but I think it's up there. I think there is still some stigma around it, but not as much as Heroin or Meth. If your friends know you smoke Marijuana once in awhile, then it's no real big deal, but if you are seen injecting Heroin once in awhile, then they're more likely to stop being your friend. That's kind of a bad example, but you get the point. :p

Basically the drug that does the least harm on the surface is the one that is more acceptable.
  6. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

A coworker of mine had a get together for a bunch of us a few years ago, and him and some of the other guys I worked with are all big pot smokers. I casually asked if either of them were up for some ecstasy since I had a bunch on me and had recently hooked up with a reliable supplier of it, and they both looked at me like I was nuts, lol. Then again, they have spouses and kids, so they're not really in a position to be "tweaking" around their family - so I can understand why they wouldn't want to do it.

I haven't hung around cocaine users in over a decade, so I would say most people in my circle currently would seriously frown upon me if they caught wind of me using it, and they definitely would not be interested if I offered them some. Plus I would feel like crap if I did start doing it again, and offered it to any of them, and they became hooked.
  7. Sarman

Sarman Member

It used to be one of the least accepted drugs, especially as a teenager growing up, but it seems a lot more common now, and has a milder reputation. I don't think that's fair as it is still a potent and addictive drug, not quite meth, but still in the top tier.
  8. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Cocaine is a drug that symbolizes wealth and sense that you have made it somewhere. Cocaine is almost like a celebration drug, because people realize that if you can afford coke, then you must be making a killing doing something. It's almost like a drug that simply symbolizes wealth and what money can do to you if you are not careful.
  9. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I think that your presumption is solely based on the fact that it's become widely more used, and authorities don't seem to do anything special to prevent its consumption.
    In spite of this, no... I don't think that people tolerate it more, socially wise, it's just that more people start consuming it, and it pretty much ends here. I've tried it once, and couldn't really understand what's so special about it.
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I don't think so. Every drug is not accepted by the society in one way or another, doesn't matter how mainstream it is.
    Even marijuana isn't tolerated by a lot of people, but that doesn't matter too much.
  11. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Some people have the propensity to mimic the lifestyles of the rich and famous, a number of which involve the use of drugs like cocaine, marijuana and prescription medicine. If there's a way to dilute this kind of mentality, it'll greatly help the society at large.
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Here in our country (Philippines), no. If you were found guilty of being a drug pusher/trader or user, there's a high possibility that you will be given life sentence in jail, or much worse, death penalty.
  13. Merricat

Merricat Member

I wouldn't say that cocaine is full out accepted the way that marijuana is, but I do think that it isn't judged as harshly as say meth or heroin because it's expensive and it's a drug that associated with wealthy people. For a long time there was even a vast discrepancy in sentencing for people caught with cocaine versus people who were caught with crack, even though crack is made from cocaine.
  14. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

To be honest I think Meth has gotten so demonized that it has now overshadowed cocaine. All you hear and see are the effects of Meth, and cocaine is now taken a back seat in control and policing.
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Cocaine is an illegal drug here and so, I do not think that it is being accepted in a society. I alsodo not think that it will going to be accepted in here. It should not be accepted since it can cause health problems and can make one do crimes.
  16. henry

henry Community Champion

I don't think it's more acceptable, I think it's just less obvious, unless you've done too much of it and start making faces. For example, if you see someone acting hyper at work, you're more likely to think the guy or gal had way too many Red Bulls, or had way too much coffee. People who don't use coke might think the guy always has too much coffee or energy drinks, and always has a cold. Its a lot easier to spot a pot smoker than a coke head.
  17. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is funny what you are saying but it's true. People who do this are pretty productive. Sad really. Somehow it makes some admirable traits in them. I've seen sales people who were into it. I never thought about if they were doing it while working. They probably were cause they had this brazen charisma.
    Is it more acceptable? It's illegal so not really, but, I think it gets tossed to the side perhaps. Probably because it alters the personality in a way that seems so different that it is distracting. So other people overlook it. It's not like when someone is drunk, they slur and are maybe sloppy. There is nothing less attractive or desirable than this. It interferes and seems kind of sad. The coke seems more like energy or quick thinking. So I'm saying that it appears more desirable so others loose track of the reality of it. There are plenty of other ways to achieve a fully present state with quick thinking. It's almost like someone threw cold water in their face when someone is coked up.
  18. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think a lot depends on what you mean by acceptable aswell though. It's still illegal, and people still know that it's addictive and can ruin lives, so in that respect its not acceptable.

Are more people using cocaine than ever before though? Over here in the UK I'd say yes, and people are less shy about taking it now than what they ever have been in the past. That might not make it acceptable, but it certainly makes it more common. But is that the same thing?
  19. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

Cocaine can aid the performance of some high-pressure jobs, such as city traders and those in the creative fields. I still think it's a very dangerous drug, but I do see your point about it having a certain amount of "acceptance" associated with it.
  20. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

I personally would never consider cocaine as an accepted addiction for the actual society, I would definitely consider it as one of the worse addictions when it comesto drugs, however, I would consider weed the most accepted addiction after alcohol, that is my opinion though.