An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is cocaine physically or psychologically addictive or both?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by pineywood, Apr 20, 2015.

1. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

I was reading in another thread about how cocaine is not considered physically addictive. I did not realize there was even a question, let alone a debate, on whether this controlled substance is considered to be physically addictive.

Thoughts anyone?
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Personally I'd say it's more of a psychological addiction thanks anything else.

A lot of people have been able to effectively stop taking cocaine, more than most other drugs I think. I'm not saying it's easy, quoting ANY drug is hard but I think some are harder than most.
    missbishi likes this.
  3. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

I agree with pwarbi.
  4. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

I am not sure about that. I would say that it's both physiological and psychological. However, we shouldn't distinguish them that much. I mean, they are not independent. A purely psychological reaction can (and very often does) lead to physiological response. In these cases it's very difficult to determine where is the source of the addiction. However, I think that if it was only physiological, it definitely wouldn't be that strong, so perhaps the psychological effect is dominant.
    lynzyh28 and Sparkster like this.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Definitely. Coke was a psychological addiction for me and I experienced no physical withdrawal symptoms at all. I certainly ran the gaunt when it came to my mental health but physically, withdrawal had no effect.
  6. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

I think it's both. But it would still depend on the personality of the user.
  7. Rholm

Rholm Member

It can be both, but it's generally more of a psychological addiction. The only physical qualities of cocaine are an increase in blood pressure and pulse, a sharp increase in energy, and a numbing effect. Aside from the numbing, it's pretty much only as addicting physically as caffeine. The psychological qualities, such as confidence, euphoria, and mental energy, are much more addicting.
    Sparkster likes this.
  8. henry

henry Community Champion

I agree with most posts, I think it's both. But I think the thing is more physical than psychological. Why do I say that? Because your body gets used to anything you make it do every day. The day you don't let it have it, it starts crying like a spoiled kid. If your body gets used to nine cups of water every day, the day you give it four it goes, "Hey, what's up with you, man? I know you don't want to be messing with me. Can''t you see I need more water? You better hook those lips to that cup ASAP, pal."
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Since cocaine is a psychoactive drug, it goes without saying that it has a heavy impact on one's mental processes. The psychological stress it brings about will eventually take a toll on one's body after regular excessive use. The moment the brain is stripped off of its consciousness and will, the body starts malfunctioning as well.
  10. RHill

RHill Member

My experience with friends (I have never been a huge cocaine consumer) is that there is a large psychological element. It was the habitual useage and association with social occasions that seemed to trouble them most. I don't recall any of them being physiologically affected that badly after stopping, it was just the mental perseverence it takes to stop doing something you simply enjoy a lot.
  11. pineywood

Thanks for the replies everyone. I agree with all your points about the psychological addiction. I, also, like the analysis's between the body and the mind and how it correlates. I was reading an article that described the withdrawal process and how there it is not extreme in comparison to the likes of heroin eg all the vomiting etc that occurs, but the body still has a reaction. As mentioned in your posts with the cravings, irritability and depression (also described int the U.S. National Library of Medicine). This may appear as a psychological reaction with "no visible physical symptoms", but anyone that has ever experienced depression understand it can and does hurt. I mean you can feel it into the depths of your bone.
  12. rightct

rightct Community Champion

The cravings to consume cocaine are mostly generated by psychological ones, but not rarely have I seen people having their whole body changed just because they missed that cocaine "line". I would say it's a mixture of both.
  13. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I agree with this. As I have stated on these forums many times before, the mind and body are both part of the same system and it's scientific fact that it's not possible to affect one part of a system without affecting the rest of that system in some way.

I also agree with this. I think this comment really hit the nail on the head.
    pineywood likes this.
  14. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I like your last sentence. the depression is the reason many relapse and go to drugs again. but the thing is that the depression caused by withdrawal symptoms is kinda artificial and can be eased quickly with some self talking. I used to tell my self that this depression is not me, it's weed's withdrawal symptoms. it did help much.
    pineywood likes this.
  15. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

This ties in with negative thoughts and thinking patterns (a symptom of depression) which I just commented about on another thread. Essentially, what you are doing is becoming conscious of those those automatic negative thoughts (self-suggestions) and by reacting to them you are turning them into positive self-affirmations; a technique which works although you must stay conscious of those thoughts and keep doing it or it's all too easy to slip back into negative mode without realizing it at first.
    pineywood likes this.
  16. pineywood

Well, I am not so sure the depression from withdrawal is artificial. I mean, of course I strongly agree with you and Sparkster about the benefits of positive self-talk and the damage of negative-thinking. It's just that how can we distinguish depression, as being artificial based on where it stems from and what about an individuals predisposition to depression. I do not think depression is merely a psychological condition, nor do I believe depression is caused by purely psychological reasons.
  17. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I read on a psychology-related authority site that physical symptoms cocaine produce are part of the psychological dependence an individual develops for cocaine.

Therefore, one cannot exists without the other. If someone do cocaine to achieve physical enjoyment, will also be affected psychologically. On the other hand, if someone thinks that doing cocaine serves to achieve spiritual higher states, he or she would be contributing to develop physical addiction to, as the sensations are not just perceived in the brain with also all over the body.
  18. pineywood

Good point with the phrase psychological dependence. I think, sometimes, it is easy to dismiss this concept, as if, it were less of a factor or easier to overcome. Of course, at the same time, I am not dismissing the physical dependance.
  19. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Yeah, I think that both physical and psychological dependence belong together, only that one has more prominence over the other, depending on each individual's addiction and many other factors surrounding every cocaine addiction case.

Or at least is how I see it from my standpoint.
    pineywood likes this.
  20. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I used it a bit socially when I was younger, but didn't really get hooked to it. I liked the way it made me feel, the euphoria and the feeling I could do it all.

I can see how someone could get addicted to that aspect, so I'd say it's equal. But for most people I knew what they liked most is how coke made them feel, just like me. Very few of them consumed it often though, only socially or when they felt a little under the weather.

I rarely mention this because I don't even consider it important, since I was never really hooked on cocaine. I was more interested in other drugs and alcohol...
    pineywood likes this.