An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is Coffee Addiction Bad?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by defeattheapexbat, Jul 4, 2015.

1. My mom is 46, and she has been drinking Coffee for about 24 years. She started out with 1 cup a day, and now she drinks 3-4 cups a day. She adds water, and milk to the Coffee she drinks, and she can't seem to stop drinking it. So my questions are.. Is drinking coffee bad? What are the bad side effects of drinking Coffee??
  2. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Well one thing about coffee is that it contains caffeine. 3-4 cups may still not be as much as a red bull or 5 hour energy, but can be a bit much especially if digested all at once. If she is drinking decaf, then that is fine I guess. The side effects I could think of is she could have trouble sleeping or she could end up having a huge crash after the caffeine is used up.
  3. artkat96

artkat96 Member

I'm a coffee addict myself. I have several cups a day and even sometimes throw a Monster or RedBull in there too. Bad, I know. I think I might be a caffeine addict. Anyway, I don't think your mother is in a bad situation. I mean, it all depends on how she feels when she drinks it. Does her heart beat super fast? Does she feel out of control? If not, she's probably fine. She's the one that knows her body most. Most likely the worst thing the coffee is doing to her is hurting her health (milk with fat and sugar if she uses it).
  4. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

Coffee like tea is a caffeine containing drink. Coffee and tea are in general not bad for you, as long as you don't drink too much of it. 1-2 cups of coffee a day should be fine, and it's the most suitable during the morning and afternoon. The benefits of caffeine is that it boosts your digestive system and keeps you alert during the day.

During late afternoon and evening, it's better though if your mom switches over to tea as it contains significantly less caffeine. Too much caffeine intake can negatively influence the quality of sleep. Black tea would be the most suitable for your mom, as black teas could be combined with milk (as your mom likes to add milk to her coffee). In the evening, flower teas are the most suitable, since it doesn't contain any caffeine at all.
  5. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

It is full of antioxidants, it's known to enhance your mood, and has even been shown to reduce the risks of heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes. Myths and haters, be no more. A cup or two a day will definitely do them more good than harm.

Now while this is all good news, coffee drinkers should remember that the added sugar/syrups/whipped cream are NOT healthy on an every day basis and should only be consumed occasionally. So if you drink black coffee, PROPS to you!

I wouldn't worry about your parents. Remind them that water is certainly the most important beverage (especially since caffeine can be dehydrating) but feel reassured that coffee contains plenty of health benefits and will CERTAINLY not stunt your growth- I started drinking coffee when I was eight (decaf, people) and I am 5"10'.
  6. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

Drinking coffee isn't bad if you drink about 1 cup a day. My parents drink it every day, and nothing happens to them... I don't know the bad side effects of drinking coffee. If you drink more than 3 cups a day, it can stunt your growth if you are a kid. If she hasn't had anything bad happen to her, I'm sure she'll be fine.
  7. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

A little amount of coffee is not bad. but once you get addicted to coffee and you dont drink it your body energy level may even go lower than normal. So dont get addicted to it drinking it sometimes is fine. but if someone is already addicted you cant stop her . but make sure your mom doesnt drink alot. A lot of coffee can harm you
  8. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

In small amounts or 1-2 cup, it's not too bad. But keep in mind it does have caffeine in it. And too much caffeine is what leads to a plethora of other problems. So try to get her to drink in moderation if possible.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think anything is a problem if it interferes with daily life if you're not having it. And, to be completely frank I would say that I am addicted to coffee myself, to a degree. I'm a 3-4 cups a day person, and if I don't have any I get super crazy headaches, which have me reaching for a cup as soon as I realize I've gone without.

I've heard of caffeine causing some serious health problems, mainly with things like increasing your heart rate and so forth. I really need to try and slowly cut back - I'm okay with a cup a day, but I think right now I'm at a point that I would deem a little excessive.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also knew some who drink coffee like that but they are just okay so, I also think that amount is still okay. It could not be an addiction already and maybe it depends per person's tolerance of caffeine. A usual side effect could be insomnia or hard to fall asleep.
  11. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I don't think she is likely to suffer serious health consequences at that level of coffee consumption. I drink a few cups every day and it does not bother my system. Caffeine withdrawal can be a big inconvenience if you don't get any suddenly, but it's not really that bad unless you are talking about someone who regularly consumed multiple energy drinks every day or drank coffee constantly. Unless your mom was told to cut back by a doctor, I don't think it's a problem.
  12. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

They said that coffee had antioxidant properties that is good for our health so drinking one cup of coffee day is just okay. But drinking 2 to 4 cups a day is already bad for our health because it contains caffeine which when taken in large doses is harmful to our immune system. The key here is to drink coffee in moderation only.
  13. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

If she doesn't add sugar then I'd not worry about it... if she does, well, she might be consuming far too much sugar on a daily basis. Other than that I'd not worry... They say coffee beans when overheated release a carcinogen, but the quantities are minimal, so I'd not worry about it... coffee has a lot antioxidants as well.
  14. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Too much coffee is also bad for you, just like any other substance or thing out there. I remember that when I had 3 cups of coffee, I had slight palpitations. I'm sure there are other side effects of taking too much coffee, but taking up to 2 cups a day isn't that bad and just normal in my opinion.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  15. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

16. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Coffee when drank moderately is fine as it has antioxidant properties. In the long term, it can reduce the risk for diabetes type two and even heart disease. This study shows that for people who drank coffee three to four times a day, the risk for the diseases mentioned was lowered.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/mar/03/coffee-drinking-may-prevent-heart-attacks-study

However, diet and lifestyle greatly affects your risk for developing diseases. The study focused on South Koreans who mostly consumed vegetables and has an active lifestyle. Keep in mind that other factors can trigger the development of diseases.

So for me, as long as your mom drinks coffee 3-4 times a day and couples it with a healthy diet and exercise, it is okay. If however her lifestyle is not healthy, then she may be at risk for some health problems.
  17. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I think 3-4 cups of coffee a day, particularly at your mom's age isn't healthy. However, that's quite common these days but you should still encourage her to limit her caffeine intake. I never go over 2 cups of coffee a day which is more than a reasonable amount. There are times that I would like a 3rd cup of coffee but I always talk myself out of it. I also realize that it will mess around with my sleeping patterns and I definitely don't want that.
  18. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

It's an addiction, of course it is bad. The main effects I see on my friends are tiredness, lack of interest in things, repetitive behavior, and they get irritated very easily. Sadly, more and more people get addicted to it, and cannot function without their precious "fuel". And the majority of them don't even consider it harmful!
  19. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

From what I heard insomnia and dehydration are the side effects of drinking too much coffee. I think any thing that can dehydrate you shouldn't be over used. I drink coffee sometimes like if I'm really tired and need to stay awake. Drinking too much coffee can cause you too loose sleep. I really only drink like a cup off coffee every now and then if I need to stay awake.
  20. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

I have a friend who used to drink eight (small) cups of coffee every day. If she didn't get those eight cups her hands would shake and she'd get incredibly irritable. (More irritable than usual, I guess. She's always been a bit crabby.) She's more or less shaken the addiction, but now she has a host of health problems. I don't know that the coffee addiction caused them, but it sure as hell didn't help.

Hopefully you can wean your mom away from the stuff, at least to an extent. Good for energy, bad for just about everything else.