An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is Coffee Addiction Bad?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by defeattheapexbat, Jul 4, 2015.

1. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it can an addiction, which can cause someone to not get sleep at times, which is something that can make someone rely on it to get them ahead in life and have seen people suffer from, this which is sad to see happen to some people. It is interesting to see what happens when a person drinks coffee and this can cause them to shake if they get too much coffee in their body, and it takes a toll on the body when more caffeine is in the body. I reckon that people should not take this when they are stressed or it can cause mood swings to the mind and people should try, and get help or try a new hobby.
  2. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

Well, any addiction is bad. I mean, isn't it part of the definition? I would presume the effects of coffee addiction would be tiredness, hypertension, and increased irritation. Thankfully, coffee is one of the less dangerous substances. But even then, it should be used in moderation.
  3. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I think any form of addiction is bad. If habitual consumption of a particular substance has negatively affected your emotional and physical health, then a change of lifestyle may be in order. Excessive caffeine intake adversely affects your nerves, causing anxiety or panic attacks. Drinking vitamin-rich juices is a much better option.
  4. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Drinking coffee does have benefits. But the instant you add things like too much sugar, then coffee is not that beneficial. Yes coffee has caffeine but so does some types of tea and you can always buy decaffeinated. Have you asked her if she was addicted or has she been drinking weak coffee causing her to drink more?
  5. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

First of all, it depends.
    Most of the people develop coffein resistance anyway and, therefore, drinking coffee, even multiple cups a day, won't do no harm. On the other hand, drinking coffee and I mean real coffee, not espresso's, has a lot of advantages.

However, when people drink it compulsively, not because they need it, but because they think it can help them, then it can be considered an addiction. However, it's very easy to get rid of it, at least in my experience.
  6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Welp, people that drink coffee can become quite dependent on it, which is something you don't want. A lot of teenagers drink coffee to socialize, not necessarily because they need the energy but because it's a good icebreaker. There are a lot of healthy substitutes such as green tea, so you should be fine if you feel like you're addicted to caffeine.