An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is cold turkey the only 100% guarantee for quitting?

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by primalclaws1974, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

Cold turkey is extremely difficult. Once you've grown attached to something, it is very difficult to suddenly never see or use it again, which is why many people fail. The withdrawal symptoms may actually be much more harsh when you cut cold turkey as opposed to taking baby steps. I think it is better to take your own pace instead of stopping immediately, especially since many people get discouraged after they fail at going cold-turkey.
  2. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I can only speak for myself here. For me slowing down wouldn't have solved anything, because I knew deep within myself that I would "speed it all up" again once I felt "too good" about myself. I was in a vicious cycle where I thought that I could quit any time I wanted. And every time I managed to drink less, or even totally stay of the alcohol, I would really make up for it later. So, cold turkey was the only way for me to completely recover from my addiction.
  3. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

Cold turkey is not as easy as it seems. Sure, it can be a 100% guarantee if you manage to quit, if not it's just a failure. It is most likely tied to different personalities and some characters have it more easy than others. Transition methods work here for the one who are not able to sustain a cold turkey mentality to stay out of their addiction.
  4. 003

003 Community Champion

I strongly think that it's easier and more simple to completely go cold-turkey than to slowing it down. For me when you slow it down, you'd just prolong your dilemma and you might just even change your stand later on. It's just going to make you doubt if you can do it. Unlike when you go cold-turkey, you have already made your stand. You have no more choice, but to proceed. It's just like: Do it and do it now.
  5. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

Honestly, I think cold turkey might be an unattainable idea for a lot of addicts, it is a better option to set goals and stick with them in order to lessen your dependence and eventually be free of it.
  6. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it may work for some people, and for others it will not work and they may just go back to the drugs or substance they were using after being away from it for sometime. The person would need medical treatment, as the body has gotten so used to the drugs and when the person stops using them will be affected and have a reaction the body can't handle. I think the person should take the time and stop not, just do it all of a sudden and go back to it after as the body would have relied on it for a long time and can't get away from it.
  7. Tournique

As I stated, cold turkey is a tough challenge. But yes, it can be the most rewarding as it's chances are either success 100% or fail.I had success with cold turkey so far but I won't lie and tell you that it was an easy journey.
  8. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliams Active Contributor

Cold turkey is nice if you can do it, but many can't because they suffer serious withdrawal symptoms, in which case they gradually decrease the consumption of whatever they're addicted to until they have stopped consuming it completely.
  9. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I think going cold turkey is far from 100% guaranteed. I think the best method (if you were quitting without help) is to gradually wean yourself off of whatever drug you are using. Stopping completely all of a sudden can be really dangerous.
  10. Parassd

Parassd Active Contributor

I quite agree with you because a strong willpower is all that's needed to pull it off neatly. That motivation can be received through music, through loved ones, through thinking of the consequences of relapse. You gotta stay strong, and you gotta have people in your life that help you through this, to make sure you don't quit, to be supportive in a healthy way and vehemently oppose to see you destroy your life by succumbing to your ill temptations.
  11. Tournique

So mostly agree that it takes strong will power to go cold turkey. While it's not a 100% guaranteed thing, it sure can work in some cases.