An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is Eating Food Cooked With Alcohol Just As Bad?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Rainman, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

A number of people add alcohol to the food they cook for a variety of reasons. Most do so to enhance the flavor of the food. The myth though that most of the alcohol is cooked out was debunked.

So since food cooked thusly will have some alcohol in it, do you think eating such food [over a long period of time] would lead to addiction?

Should someone who has beaten an alcohol addiction avoid eating such food because they could be tempted to start drinking?
  2. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Pretty sure you would have to be more concerned about an eating disorder if you can eat that much food just to get drunk, seems like it would be more of an issue of the alcoholic drinking the liquor from the start instead of wasting his time cooking it and dissolving pretty much all of it.
  3. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

I don't thnk it's such a big problem. After all, the amount of alcohol can't be that big... You would have to eat many meals cooked like that one after the other in order to get drunk that way. There is an exception, though. Sweet things with alcohol. For example, chocolate with alcohol is a bad combination. You may love chocolate and be able to eat a lot of it. That way you may not even realizxe how much alcohol you've gotten in your system...
  4. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

It depends upon how you look at it. When you heat it the alcohol dissipates so it won't get you drunk. There are chemicals in the alcohol that are harmful and make you addicted to it. I am not really sure about what happens to those, but if you aren't a healthy eater than sure. Why not? If you want to consume carcinogens that cause cancer. This is what is in alcohol.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The problem is you have the alcohol with you. The quantity that will be retained in the food might not be enough to make you drunk or addicted but there'll always be that temptation right before you. All the time. If you were an alcoholic you can resist the urge to taste that alcohol for a while but eventually you will and it might make remaining sober complicated.
  6. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I think it depends on how much alcohol is in the food and if it's very noticeable or not. I think the bigger issue is of the person can really smell it, which can therefore cause them to have cravings for some beer, wine or liquor. For example, we were trying out some of the Classico brand jarred tomato sauces and one of them had wine in it. Normally I never taste any alcohol in jarred sauces that say they contain stuff like wine or vodka, but this one in particular had a very noticeable alcohol flavor to it - I could see where something like that might be a problem for someone who was a recovering alcoholic. But something like a Jack Daniels Sauce at Fridays, I don't taste booze in it at all, and that wouldn't be a problem imo. Same would go for some beer battered fish, I don't think that would cause a problem for someone dealing with alcoholism.
    Rainman likes this.
  7. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

I don't think there's enough alcohol in food to make you want to drink, too. I don't think it's even really noticeable. Maybe someone might use it as an excuse to drink, though.
  8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

From my own experience, and technical teaching while in college learning restaurant-related stuff, alcohol evaporates totally throughout the cooking process, and therefore what you taste is the flavor of the beverage, not the alcoholic part of it.

Only exception here could be those foods (mainly desserts) which are tabletop-flamed, such as Crepe Suzette, because alcohol in the flaming process is only to ignite the flame that browns the food surface, thus alcohol remains as is, with no evaporation really.
  9. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

Alcohol in food will not get you intoxicated. This is because during the heat reaction, the chemical bonds get rearranged to where the original chemical ethanol (C2H6O) shifts. Alcohol is used mainly in cooking as something to boost the aroma which a dish gives off. This concept is only true for foods that are cooked, not for when it is used as fuel to lightly heat a dessert.
  10. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

A person would not get drunk if they put some alcohol in the food and is alright for a cake or a dessert and some people use it in foods, which are steaks or fried foods to give more flavor to the food which can be nice. I reckon that alcohol should be put in, but in moderation otherwise a person may use it on a daily basis and also the person may start to rely on it in the process. Alcohol will not get a person drunk if it is in the food as it, can be nice to have at times then the person can enjoy it and eat it sometimes which can be good.
  11. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

As it has already been mentioned by Mydigitalpoint, the alcohol added to food tends to evaporate during the cooking process, hence, all that is left is the taste of alcohol. The real worry is when you start cooking dinner and you think that you might just as well have a glass of that wine that you are going to put into your dish. And then another glass might follow, and before you know it things become a little blurry and your food gets burnt. Even some cooking wines taste quite acceptable. In my own experience, that's the real pitfall.
  12. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I never heard of anyone getting drunk off of food that had alcohol added to it and then cooked. That is unheard of. I suppose that could give a recovering alcoholic a little buzz. But then again, you might as well get rid of mouthwash also.
  13. henry

henry Community Champion

Hmm, the thing about alcohol is that people usually like to drink it, not eat it. It's not like food cooked with marihuana, which has some real effect on you when you eat it. Unless you're eating alcohol soup with noodles and carrots, I don't think it would make much difference.