An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is faith addiction as dangerous as drug addiction?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by richfootfastfate, Jul 2, 2015.

1. I was just answering someone else's question when the parallels between faith addiction and drug addiction struck me rather forcibly - kids are often introduced quite young by people they trust; both sorts of dealers prey on the weak, the vulnerable and the hurt, and make them feel better for a while; as you get more and more addicted, it begins to cost you more and more to fuel your habit; the addicts themselves are often called on to bring new people in; and in extreme cases, people are prepared to kill to feed their addiction - though as yet, no drug addict has flown a plane into anything or shot an abortion doctor. So which is actually more the more dangerous - drugs or deity-faith?
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Very interesting question there, and the parallels are certainly something to consider when you put it like that.

I'm not particularly religious - I did grow up going to church weekly, but as an adult I just try to live my life via what I would call good principles - be nice to people and treat people the way I would want to be treated.

I think you're right in that some people do get caught up in religion as a bit of a void filler, and there are absolutely people out there who use religion as a basis for bad behavior (I'll be forgiven or I'll be rewarded in the afterlife type sentiments!)

Using religion as a basis for being a horrible individual has no place in the world and honestly I think some people that get fanatical about stuff probably do have mental illnesses, like some people that get caught up with drugs.

I'm no doctor or research scientist though so that's just my two cents!
  3. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

Organized faith addiction has caused people to kill and maim in the name of their god(s). Drug addiction is mostly an individual problem, whereas faith addiction encompasses MASSES of people forcing their brand of religious morality on others, and is therefore far more dangerous. Is it necessary still to cite 9/11, suicide bombers, the Holocaust, the Inquisition, the "Holy" Crusades, the Protestant witch hunts, etc, etc, etc?

History is rife with incidents of mass religious genocide.
  4. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

Good question! Nope, because the kind of religion you are talking about is a bad misrepresentation of what real religions want to prone: Ideals! and heroism!

For instance, take Buddhism: Buddha said, "Desire is source of pain." So he goes on telling to avoid the sources of pains! Of course, it's hard, and not every1 agrees with that! It's more about quieting the outside world, and bad habits, and learning to become one with oneself! Like meditation = relaxation, way no addictive, but better than smoking or taking drugs!

Another example, take Christianity at its best, does Mother Teresa strikes you as an addict? A bad example? What about dying for your friends? Jesus died for his enemies too, you know! That's Heroism.

Even in Islam (mysticsm), you have such amazing heroes! Read the passion of El-Hallaj, mystic and martyr of Islam! Yeah! Beside you can find a lot of Mathematicians, doctors in the Middle ages when Europeans were so far from being so good Christians themselves Then!
  5. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

Yes, I think that faith addiction can be far worse than drug addiction. But only in some cases. Yes, history is full of people who have abused faith/religion copiously. But there are good people out there who suffer from faith addictions that try to live good, decent lives and it is not fair to criticize them because a few crazy people get high on “PCP” (Preachy Church Principles??) and want to kill some people.
  6. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

well obviously drugs have seriously adverse physical effects as well whereas faith is generally only psychological. Yes people can and often do hurt people because of faith but the act of believing in and of itself doesn't physically harm people. The act of shooting up heroin does. Other than that I would say that strong, fundamentalist faith is absolutely worse that drug addictions. Drug addicts don't blow up buildings and burn people alive. Drug addicts to try to enforce irrelevant codes of behavior on people or carry out holy wars or crusades. Drug addicts don't form brainwashing cults that perpetuate and support these atrocities either.
  7. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

faith addiction ...... i totally agree with your question TOTALLY ..some one shoud tell jimmy that some ppl are forced into religion weather through knife point /intimation ect the end result is the same they are forced to do what they don't wanna do
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

If those extremist are what you are pertaining about religious addicts, definitely it is a dangerous addiction. Anything in excess is bad whether it should be a good thing or substance. Some of those "religious addicts" are willing to kill and give their lives for the sake of what they believe in.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

You have a point. I think they are both dangerous. They could definitely affect your emotions, mentalility, and also your physical being. Being addicted too much to either drugs or faith could lead to fatal results.
  10. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

I wouldn't call religion an addiction unless someone takes it to an OCD type level, however I have compared some of the more fundamentalist religions to cults. People, usually the female parishioners and daughters, play a servant roll. Most families home school so that they can completely control what information a child is presented about the world. In some families, the Duggars for instance, older children are never supposed to be alone because they could be 'tempted' so in a sense they are guarded 24/7.
    On a slightly related note...some of the biggest sinners I've ever known have scammed people, been abusive, and then rationalized it because they go to church on Sunday and do church volunteer work.