An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is Fast Food Addicting?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by irishrose, Nov 3, 2015.

1. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

In a culture that craves sweet, salty, fatty, fried foods, it seems like we are constantly surrounded by greasy fast food chain restaurants. For health and money-saving reasons, my husband and I have cut out fast food, except for special occasions. However, there was a time where we would eat at fast food restaurants a couple of times per week. It seems like the more we ate there, the more we would want it again. I know people who eat at these fast food chains daily, even though they know it is unhealthy.

Do you think fast food can be addicting? Do you eat fast food, and if so, what fast food restaurant is your favorite?
  2. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

In this case, I think it's some special sort of addiction. People don't have time to cook or don't know how to cook something that's good, tasty and cheap, therefore they choose the easy way out and buy something that's already prepared.

I think it's pretty hard to say you are addicted to some sort of food. On the other hand, I think it's safe to say that people are either lazy or don't have time to cook. Just because they choose fast food over not eating anything doesn't mean they are addicted. Of course, they can eat compulsively, but that's not only with fast food and the cases of people eating compulsively in a..chronic manner are pretty rare.
  3. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Yes, fast food can be addicting. It's usually saltier and more sugary fare than a healthier home prepared meal. I've met plenty of people who only eat fast food nowadays. They will often say that they don't have the time to cook at home, due to long work hours. But they will still be at McDonald's or Burger King on weekends and public holidays, even though it's their day off. This tells me that they are definitely addicted to the food these outlets provide.
  4. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think fast food is beyond addicting. It is readily available, which equates to convenient for most people. It's affordable, which is why many folks here opt for it instead of restaurants. It is tasty, not necessarily delicious but some are. And tasty is one reason why many kids love it. I mean, fries can be such a treat when you ask a kid. So there are quite a lot of reasons why fast food is very rampant here.

For me, I do like fast food too. I'm lying if I said I don't like the food of McDonald's or Burger King or Wendy's. But you know what? Nothing beats home cooked meals. Even if you eat them everyday, you won't get tired of it. Unlike with fast food that can be tiring to eat everyday and has the same flavour each time.
  5. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Not to say that most of the food from the popular franchises has a somewhat...artificial taste. I mean, it's tasty, but it doesn't feel natural. I don't know if you can understand what I am trying to say.
  6. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I have never enjoyed fast-food. It tastes like cardboard to me, not to mention that it's really dry and tasteless. But yes, it is highly addictive. People from my grade used to buy hamburgers from a place across the campus, mostly because it felt more comfortable to them to get ready-made food rather than making their own. I, on the other side, always brought some fruits and homemade pies with me. One day this girl had no money on her and asked me if she could have an apple. I gave it to her, only to hear her saying after one minute that she couldn't eat that and how did I survive with rabbit food. It was pretty sad, but eye-opening. People should start making better nutritional choices.
  7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

It is kind of addicting, though I don't think it has addicting substances. It's just convenient to eat something quick instead of cooking at home, and it is really unhealthy. People who are also abroad and staying at hotels would rather pick up something from a fast food place instead of doing meals on their own.
  8. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I think that fast food is addicting. The fast food companies want it to be that way so that you keep coming back. It tastes good, it's cheap and its loaded with salts and sugar. If you don't have time to cook, it's right there.
    We don't eat fast food very often. When we do we usually get subway or for a special treat Mcdonalds. I know McDonald's is far from healthy, but we eat it very rarely maybe once every few months. I love to cook, so I cook every night. I also love to bake so most of our treats are homemade.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Not exactly but because it's convenient, fast and tasty, it eggs you to rely on it more and more. Some of us have no patience for cooking. There was a time in my life when I literally ate nothing but fast food. After hearing about relatives collapsing from stroke or kids getting cancer, I started to think about my own lifestyle. I'm slowly but surely trying to cut back on my fast food intake for the sake of my health.
  10. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Nowadays fast food chains are everywhere in our place that is why you cannot blame other people why they are always eating in this kind of food shops. And one thing with the kind of life we had now which we are always on the go and in a hurry because of our fast lives then most of us do not have the time anymore to cook and just eat in this fast food chains of restaurants. I don't think that it can be called as a kind of addiction and people are doing this because of the kind of life they had and also it depends because there are people who hates eating in fast foods chains like me. Even it is already late at night and tired from work I will still find the time to cook even simple and quick meals rather eating in this kind of eating places. For me I always value my health especially when it comes to the foods that I am eating I always want healthy foods instead of fast foods.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I personally think that fast foods are addicting. It can be also a habit forming like you will not cook your own foods anymore and will just buy fast foods so that you can spend the time on other things.
    I seldom eat fast foods cause I am aware that it will be not that healthy. Eating in occasion and in moderation will just be fine.
  12. misskrystal1982

misskrystal1982 Active Contributor

I know they are. I truly cook from home quite a bit. I make things from scratch a lot, and I have noticed that there is a big difference between how we eat when I cook and when we eat take out. For example, we finally went to Pizza Hut the other day after not going for at least 6 months. For our family of 5, we spent over $60 and most everyone ate until they didn't feel well. They ended up with indigestion and felt miserable the rest of the night. Like I said, we don't eat out and nobody usually asks for it. Yet after wards, two of my children wanted to eat out again.
    When I make the same amount of pizza from scratch, it costs far less (maybe $10 if we add a lot of toppings) and while everyone loves it... they do not eat until they are miserable. They also are satisfied on pizza and do not crave it again the next day. Same goes for burgers, etc. Something is up with that.
  13. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I think fast food can be an addiction. I know people who eat fast food 2 and even 3 times a day in spite of how bad it is for you. Even though it makes them feel awful and gain weight they keep going back over and over again. I worked at a fast food restaurant one time and you wouldn't believe the same people you see day after day and multiple times a day. The food is highly addictive.
  14. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I would say that fast food is addictive. It is a means to having something to eat fast. Though the chemicals in the food does have an effect on the body. Have you ever watched the movie super size me on YouTube? There is a part where the guy eats so much McDonald's that even his mood becomes effected.
  15. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

Fast food can definitely be addicting. I've been heavily addicted to fast food. When going on my diet, I took fast food completely out of the equation because I knew if I went back, it'd slowly make it's way back into my life. Here I am three months later, 45 pounds lighter, and slowly getting back into the addiction of fast food. I'm still losing weight and maintaining my intake- but it doesn't mean the stuff isn't terrible for you.
  16. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, I have heard they add all sorts of additives to all processed food, so fast food is not an exception since it's all so processed. I've heard almost everything has sugar in it, because sugar is highly addictive... things that seem as innocent as salad dressing are loaded with sugar as well. So yeah, I do think fast food is addictive.
  17. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

I think so. It makes you crave more because, let's be honest, they really look good, smell good, and especially taste good. You can munch on them in seconds, and you will be asking for more. That's why it's really hard to stay away, especially if you have tasted these types of food recently. Once you have tasted it, you will want more, and the only way to solve this is to deprive yourself of them, say no, and then after a while, you won't miss it that much then.
  18. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Fast food can definitely get addictive, depending on how much you eat there and how much you actually like that food. I remember that only weeks ago, I would go to a fast food 4-5 times a week, because I couldn't find the food at home that tasty, I couldn't get that feeling of eating from the food I got home, and also it was easier to go get some fast food instead of cooking it myself. However that period passed by itself and I do not think fast food can be that addictive that it gets to "drug" level, after all it's all about a personal choice.