An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is it a relapse if the it was fake?

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Am_i_dominik, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Am_i_dominik

Am_i_dominik Member

I dont know if this is the right place to put this but i had 5 months today. But my friend had some thing that wasnt my drug of choice so i dont know what it was or if it was real or not (i know not safe at all) i used it as they said and i didnt feel anything. Is it still a relapse if the drugs didnt work/ werent real? The guilt of relapsing has set in and im not sure if i should fess up about it. Thank you
  2. yaya

yaya Member

I THINK IT WOULD BE CONSIDERED RELAPSE, FOR 1 YOU WERE DOING SOMETHING YOU DIDNT ACTUALLY KNOW IF IT WAS REAL OR FAKE BECAUSE THE URGE AND DESIRE WAS THERE, YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT YOU FEEL IS RIGHT IN YOUR HEART AS TO IF YOU WANNA TELL ANYONE TO CLEAR YOUR CONSCIENCE..YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO KNOWS IN YOUR HEART..BUT OPINIONS VARY AND WITH THAT BEING SAID, IF YOU FELT THE NEED TO POST ABOUT IT, THEN I BELIEVE YOU ALREADY HAVE YOUR ANSWER...STAY STRONG
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  3. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Welcome to the community, so in your other post you mention you are a teenager and were considering a youth NA meeting...I think that's a great idea.In this post you mentioned you had 5 month's. .What were you abusing that you had 5 month's from?What did you think your friend gave you? This is indeed the correct place to share and receive support and encouragement, and I hope you share again so we know a bit more about your situation and can give better advice. Stay Strong and God Bless, you are not in this fight alone.
    Lostboy8731, deanokat and Dominica like this.
  4. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

hey there. thanks for reaching out. i also wonder what you were trying to stay clean from.... regardless if it was a slip up or not, continue on with your sobriety...or clean time. learn from this and keep it moving. don't beat yourself up at all.... 5 months without abusing something is wonderful... keep on like that!

and feel free to share here anytime.
    True concern and deanokat like this.
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Am_i_dominik... We're all humans and we all make mistakes. Let the slip-up go and get back on the path of total abstinence. Dwelling on what happened will just keep you in a bad place. So leave it behind you and move forward. And know that you can come here anytime and talk to us. We will always listen and never judge. You are safe here.
    True concern likes this.
  6. Cametobelieve0202

Cametobelieve0202 Community Champion

Yes I would consider that a relapse. You didn’t know that the drugs were fake until after you took them. But your intention was to relapse and get high. I would “fess up” as you put it. Sobriety is about openness and honesty. We are only as sick as our secrets. Even if you consider this a relapse it’s not a failure but a learning experience. Take the fact that the drugs were fake as a blessing in disguise. Had the drugs been real you might never have contemplated posting on this forum or coming clean. You made a mistake but that’s ok we all make mistakes. You got this my friend and I promise it’s worth it!
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  7. Julzygirl

Julzygirl Active Contributor

Yep, exactly right! Relapse is part of recovery I think. It sucks!!! I've done it and the best way to move past it is to acknowledge it, talk about it and get back on track!!! The more I felt guilty about it, the more it weighed on me and drug me down! I like what you said and I think it's really important that people know that relapsing happens and you don't have to throw away recovery over it. Your clean time is still time clean which is amazing!!! No one can take that away!!!
    deanokat and Dominica like this.