An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is it child abuse if parents smoke around their kids?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by jutabraonl, Jul 9, 2015.

1. jutabraonl

jutabraonl Member

My neighbour smokes heavily, to the point that when she opens her door (it is across mine) the smoke can choke you. She is pregnant and has young children. I personally think this is child abuse but as far as I know it is not technically breaking the law. Am I correct, or can I report her?
  2. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

Child abuse, or , all kinds of abuse is when the victim feel pain so according to law: No.
    But according to me, smoking near your kids is really bad influence and they ARE breathing the smoke in, parents who smoke shows the children that it is okay to smoke but when they get older they tell them :" Don't smoke it is bad for you" How stupid is that!? So bad.
    These parents who can't even stop smoking for their kids aren't (all) bad people, they just don't understand how serious it is or they are too weak to quit.
    And giving small children fast food is really bloody stupid, it's like asking for them to choke on it, and it really isn't the kind of food that is right for them to eat either.
  3. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I don't know if you could go that far and call a smoking parent as doing abuse to their children per se, but I guess you could consider it some kind of unfairness toward the kid who mighn't have any kind of consent toward whether should he let his parent smoke around him or not.
  4. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Abuse? I’m not sure that’s the word I’d use, and it’s true that she’s not actually breaking laws. But I do think it’s incredibly careless and irresponsible. I also agree that it’s unfair toward her child.
  5. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

It is not child abuse according to the law.
    The women is ruining the health of her children, is she smoking while being pregnant?
    If so, she is exposing her unborn child to genetic defects. It's sick, she should get help and quit smoking.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I wouldn't go as far as calling it child abuse, neglect possibly but even that might be going too far.

It's obviously not a good idea to smoke around children, and especially if a person is pregnant, but until a law is brought out to try and stop that, it's going to be down to the individual to decide what's best.
  7. Marie92

Marie92 Active Contributor

I don't think it is abuse, but she is causing damage to her unborn child. My mom used to smoke when I was a child and I would have to go to the doctor all the time because of bronchial and sinus infections. I would feel terrible whenever she would light up a cigarette. Second hand smoke is extremely dangerous. I people wake up and realize the effects smoking has on other people as well.
  8. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

If I had my way, it would be considered abuse. Unfortunately though - it's not. It can be called one horrible parenting decision though! Hopefully when she gives birth someone at the hospital will address her smoking and give her some options to help quit. Her children's doctor may take up the issue with her as well. All you can do is keep your fingers crossed.
  9. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

From my standpoint, certainly smoking while children are around or simply at home, it's certainly abuse because they have no the option to say "okay, I'm going out so you can enjoy your vice" or something like that.

Children have to be passive receptors of second-hand smoking, and this is to me total and absolute abuse.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think that it can be considered as child abuse since she is causing pain to her children and that can made them sick. In here I think that can be reported to the social welfare to take a look an check or the children situation if they are really being neglected.
  11. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

From a legal standpoint, no. Well in some cases it is illegal, like if you smoke in your car and their is a someone under 16 you can be fined (here in Ontario it's at least $125)
    From a moral standpoint, YES. Yes it's abuse to subject your children to second hand smoke.
  12. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

I totally believe it is child abuse for parents to smoker around their kids. I think that places of business should not be allowed to sell cigarettes to an obviously pregnant woman. I do not think kids have much of a decision in the matter and they most certainly should not be around the smoke if they have no choice in the matter. Parents should be responsible and smoke outside when they become parents.
    You can ruin your own health with cigarettes, but I do not think you should be permitted in any way to ruin your child's health with smoking around them. This is you child's health and the child has no options. Be a grown up and go outside.
  13. k9cb

k9cb Active Contributor

I think I'd categorize it as abuse. That being said, my parents smoked around me when I was a kid, but I don't feel it was abusive. Eventually my siblings and I persuaded them to take it outside, but for a while we were often exposed to tobacco smoke. It ended up likely causing some ear infection problems for us growing up.

The thing is, my parents weren't really aware of these negative side-effects, or at least they were fully conscious of them. Now, these things seem to be more widely known, so I think people have a greater responsibility to keep tobacco smoke away from their kids. Willfully harming them seems abusive to me.
  14. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

If it were for me, I would consider it child abuse but according to the law, no. I think doing anything that harms your children in any way is child abuse. Be it violence, smoking or neglect. If you have to smoke, why not do it outside away from your kids.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  15. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I suppose that it is a form of child abuse really, if the kids have no choice about being subjected to harmful smoke. The easiest solution is simply to pop out into the yard to smoke. I can't understand why so many people fail to do this.
  16. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Maybe not abuse but she is not putting her children's health first. She chooses to smoke but these young children and her unborn child have no say in the matter. I am not sure what could be done or who you could report her to. She needs to be talked to. This subject needs to be addressed. I feel sorry for these poor little ones.
  17. MerMer21

MerMer21 Member

I'd say bad parenting in this form is closer to neglect rather than abuse. To me child abusing would be directly or indirectly physically or verbally causing harm to your child. Smoking is legal, and while not recommended to do around your child or while pregnant, I don't think there's much you can do about it. Thats her choice and her legal right to smoke. She does, however, need a wake up call to see that what she's doing is just dumb. There are ways to quit smoking so obviously she's not even trying. My husband smokes very rarely, 3 times or less per month, lol but when he does he always goes outside and closes the door. I think heavy smokers are so addicted that they get tired of being courteous to people around them and just do it wherever. It's gross and I feel bad for those kids and unborn child. But my honest answer is there's not much you can do about it. sorry!

Edit: Oh and I would say reporting anything will definitely be investigated because child abuse is taken very seriously. If you honestly feel it is absolutely necessary, then go for it. I'm just not sure it would turn out in your favor but at least you tried.
  18. harold

harold Community Champion

What she is doing is really dangerous for her health and that of her children. It is wrong for her to smoke near children. Unfortunately she is not breaking the law. It will be difficult for her children to grow up normally. They might at one point become smokers or worst still, exhibiting the symptoms of the effects of smoking. If possible, advice her and let her know just how wrong she is, and how dangerous what she is doing is for her children. The sad issue here is the fact that she is pregnant. It is just unthinkable! If possible, let her know the consequences of what she is doing.
  19. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, I recently heard about a person whose toddler was removed form the home because they suspected the dad smoked in front of him. The boy and his toys smelled like smoke, I am pretty sure it must be considered child abuse in most states as well. You can call child services and ask, no kid should have to live like that.
  20. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I don’t think that’s legally considered as children abuse, but she’s obviously damaging her child’s health and influencing them to start smoking on a really young age, and it may cause several genetic defects on the unborn child, I don’t know what can you do… maybe talk to her about it? Give her some information about the damages that she is causing to her children, It could be helpful.