An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is it even worth it?

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Anonymous12356, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Anonymous12356

Anonymous12356 Active Contributor

sometimes I strongly think of being sober is even worth it?? I’m new to recovery and these thoughts hit my mind a lot and I miss drugs/alcohol so bad at times. It makes me want to cry that I can’t use anymore. Sometimes I wish there was no health consequences at all and I could use all I want. Has anyone felt this way? Is being sober really worth it?
  2. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@Anonymous12356 hey there. i'm sorry you're struggling. i'm sure many people feel this way while journeying in sobriety.... the thought has crossed my mind before, but usually when i'm going through something really hard and i don't want to feel the pain. still, drinking makes me feel very bad about myself...and it's not good for health, as we all know.

early recovery can be tough. do you have a solid support system? i remember having to learn how to live life sober...and deal with life sober..and learn how to enjoy life sober. this was many years ago, and i'm glad i made that decision or life would have went very different.....

keep coming here and venting.... we are here. and yes, i do believe being sober is worth it. take it one day at a time...one hour at at time if you must....

i pray today goes better for you.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Anonymous12356... You're certainly not the only person to wonder if sobriety is worth it. And, like @Dominica said, early recovery can be tough. Just know that YES, sobriety is absolutely worth it. You will be healthier and, in the long run, happier. Using substances to numb yourself from life's reality is no way to experience life. It just gives you a temporary escape, and when the effects of the substance wear off, the reality of life is still there. Long-term use is dangerous and could end up killing you or causing you a lot of grief. We are here to help and support you, my friend. Come and lean on us anytime. We truly care!

Sending you tons of encouragement and hope today. Let us know how you're doing, okay?
  4. Anonymous12356

Thanks for the great reply again, soberiety has been awesome for me so far. I’ve felt so much healthier lately, a lot more energetic and there’s been so much less stress. It’s very peaceful although I struggle with being away from nicotine the most. I’ve had many temptations to get another juul but I’m trying my best to stay away and I have. I miss it a lot and how fun it was for me. I almost have this sort of thinking that if I just had a juul again, I’d be happy as possible
  5. deanokat

You don't need that Juul, @Anonymous12356. You might think you do, but you don't. Your temptation will dissipate in time. Trust me. And you'll be better off without it.
  6. Anonymous12356

You’re right. Not only is it pricey but it made me nauseous, tired, and gave me a sore throat all the time. I miss it a lot but I’ll get over it eventually
    deanokat likes this.
  7. Anonymous12356

I do have a solid support system of friends but I do not let my family know because I don’t want them to know about it. I seem to be holding up okay without my family’s support though. I will keep coming here and venting because it helps me a lot in this difficult process. Thank you
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  8. True concern

True concern Moderator

Yes it's worth it.It takes extreme focus and commitment but most thing's of value do and sobriety is damn valuable......in my opinion
  9. Dominica

deanokat likes this.
  10. Anonymous12356

I agree. Drugs are fun but you get zero done when you are under the influence but when you’re sober you do and that leads to a lot of happiness. Still hard to stay off the goods tho
    True concern, Dominica and deanokat like this.
  11. Dominica

@Anonymous12356 challenging, but worth it.... good to hear from you today... hope you have a great evening!
  12. True concern

True concern Moderator

Yes I agree as well,at time's it is hard to stay off "the goods"but I try to remember the bad that the goods bring.Progress not perfection my friend
    Anonymous12356 and deanokat like this.
  13. deanokat

Love that @True concern! So true, too!!!
    Anonymous12356 likes this.
  14. Anonymous12356

Exactly. That’s the biggest thing that stops me from using is the negatives of it. I think about how I’ll go back to having a cough all the time, low energy, nausea, and the stress of controlling myself from not using too much
    True concern and deanokat like this.
  15. deanokat

Thinking of you today and sending you tons of encouragement, @Anonymous12356. Your body will thank you later on for what you're doing! Trust me!
    Anonymous12356 and True concern like this.
  16. Anonymous12356

Thank you sir! I can tell you that my body is already thanking me, I used to be constantly congested and coughing but that is a thing of the past now! So far this is day 5 for me of sobriety and I’ve been plagued with thoughts of nicotine but as I’ve dealt with depression in the past I’m learning I need to ride the waves, not fight them.
  17. Sebasty1987

Sebasty1987 Member

As a former alcoholic, I want to tell you the most important thing. Being sober is really awesome. Such thoughts as yours have visited me probably a whole year when I was treated for alcohol addiction. I kept thinking about starting drinking alcohol again to forget all the problems, but thank God there were people with me who helped me get out of this hole. There was a terrible time in my life when I couldn't sleep without weed. My friend advised me to read https://b-simply-healthy.com/cant-sleep-without-weed/ and I was able to find great tips that helped me deal with my insomnia.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2020