An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is it ever okay to smoke weed as a parent?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by sofacat, Aug 29, 2015.

1. sofacat

sofacat Member

I see many posts on here about irresponsible parents who smoke weed around their children and are often neglectful. It got me thinking. Do you think it's always a bad thing? Are there any circumstances where people can continue smoking after they have kids without being irresponsible parents?
  2. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I would say to just have someone to watch the kids for a while if you know how you tend to act when using.
  3. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

I think it's probably akin to drinking while watching children: you shouldn't. You're altering your mood, impairing your reaction times and decision making abilities. It's probably not going to end up like those parents in the iconic episode of Dragnet that let their kid drown in the bathtub, but it's still not a good idea.
  4. I really don't think it's a good idea to smoke when you are actively tending to your children. If they are away say for school and you know it will be a long time before they come back, it is okay for you to get high. But one thing you should never do is to allow your kids to see you actually smoking. I think it puts them in harms way as they may choose to try it while still small. While weed is not addictive, it can form into a bad stubborn habit.
  5. Emerson_B

Emerson_B Active Contributor

I am no against weed but smoking it in front of your kids is irresponsible parenting. Lets just say that weed ain't that bad but still It does not mean that its good. It is not something that you want your kids to learn from you. If you do it in front of a kid, the kid will get curious as to why you are doing it and it would be very easy for them to try it out for themselves. When they start to get hooked on it, that's when you will have serious problems.
  6. Owlwright

Owlwright Member

It's one of those things that I don't find okay under any circumstances.
    Kids, especially younger ones take after their parents and see them as rolmodels.
    Everything they do, kids see as the right thing to do.
    Its irresponsible, stupid behaviour.
    Just shows that some parents really do not care.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

As long as the children are clean, fed, watered and otherwise cared for properly then I can't see much issue with someone smoking in moderation when the kids are in bed. For crying out loud, don't let them see you doing it, it won't be long before they start asking the teacher about "Mummy's funny cigarettes".
  8. Hyperion

Hyperion Active Contributor

Yeah, I've always thought it was irresponsible when I see parents smoking in front of young kids. They will almost undoubtedly start smoking at a youngish age too, imo. I just don't think allowing smoke, or impairing myself around children is a smart thing to do.
    I see parents do much worse things these days than that though. Parenting in the US seems to be at an all-time low. Young people do not treat each other well. Everyone is out for themselves it seems.
  9. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Young children should'nt be exposed to smoke. Childrens bodies are still developing and air quality is really important. Just like with any drug, weed should be kept far away from children so they don't get onto it without you knowing.
  10. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon that some parents are responsible and at other times when they are not when smoking around their children, and also it can be shocking at times since this way people get addicted when they see the elders smoking. It is shocking when the young people get addicted and also think it is right as this can make the young people think it is alright, and a normal thing to do in the house. I hope people change their ways as the people can influence others as they can be viewed as someone, who is a bad influence and also can lead to robbing and also problems in the house.
  11. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

The only okay situation to smoke weed is when you need it, for medical purposes, period. Smoking it as a parent without any valid reason is the worst thing you could do to yourself and your children. I loathe people who cannot give up on their addictions even if they have children.
  12. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

It's the same thing as parents who smoke cigarettes. Don't do it in front of your kids and be mindful of your health. You would probably be better without it.
  13. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

But if they smoke every day, then that's a terrible way to go about that.
  14. juno

juno Community Champion

It really depends on the situations. Is it ok to smoke weed if it is illegal? I think no because you don't want to do anything that would put the safety of your child at risk and make you end up in jail as a parent. However, if you are in a state where it is legal, like Colorado or Amsterdam, then it could be ok to do it in a leisurely manner. However, I don't believe you should really consume anything in front of your kids. Just socially with adults is ok.
  15. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Just not to excess and not around them okay? You could do basically anything with kids its not like they change your physiology you just need to be more careful and respect their well being.
  16. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

When someone decides to become a parent they must be willing to make sacrifices. Kids need good role models and parents must be that. A parent who smokes weed at home with kids around is not only not being a bad role model but endangers the kid too because they inhale second hand smoke which will negatively affect them.
    None that I can think of.
  17. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

This, pretty much. As far as drugs go, weed is probably the least harmful that I've seen, and it's probably even less damaging than alcohol. The habit should still be kept as far away from your children as possible, if only for the problems that could potentially be caused by smoke inhalation. I doubt that weed is as damaging as cigarettes, but there's no point in damaging your kids at all. Don't force your choices on those who don't have a choice.
  18. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I feel like I agree with pretty much everything you have said here. I am seeing things in my son that I blame my flaws in my parenting for.
  19. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

Never never never never do that if you're a parent. You'd represent a bad image to your children, you have a good chance of becoming addicted and losing a lot of things. Be wise regarding such issues, is it worth the risk? Absolutely not.
  20. Whiskers

Whiskers Active Contributor

Kids are always watching what their parents do. When a parents smokes weed he is setting the stage for them to follow suit. Afterall kids tend to believe in their parents no matter what. It would be best for parents not to smoke weed at all.