An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is it ever okay to smoke weed as a parent?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by sofacat, Aug 29, 2015.

1. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Member

For me it's really a question of smoking in front of your kids, period.

Personally, if you're going to smoke whether it be cannabis or cigarettes you should never do so in the presence of your children. As mentioned above, children will always want to copy what their parents are doing. Not to mention that the second hand smoke effects are terrible.

Much like drinking, smoking weed, and taking care of your children should never go together!
    -LoyalServant
  2. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

Smoking weed in front of them yes, it might hurt the childs. This because they'll grow up thinking that this is normal and they can do it also and this is wrong because starting to smoke weed at 12-13 isn't beneficial of course.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I put it to you this way. The actions you take in front of your kids will enable them in the future. If you break the law and you kids see that, you are enabling them in the future. How can a parent get mad at their teenage child for smoking illegal drugs when they raised them and smoke it as well. "I'm older then you, so it's not that bad". That excuse doesn't stick at all.
  4. henry

henry Community Champion

You don't do around your children anything that you don't want them to do themselves. If you smoke weed around them, don't be surprised when you find one of them rolling a joint. And, yes, I think it's irresponsible for a parent to do that. But that's just my opinion.
  5. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

Smoking cannabis as a parent is as bad as smoking a regular cigarette or even drinking. Individuals love to put cannabis in a light that is darker than other legal substances. This is foolish as the detriment caused by cannabis is much less than the pain caused by growing up with an alcoholic or chronic cigarette smoker. All three substances are better to be left alone, but cannabis is the least to be worried about in that group.
  6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

If you intend on smoking weed at least talk with someone to take care of your child/ren and get a hotel room for a day. Even if you don't smoke weed near your kid I don't think you'll be successful to talk properly/take care of your kid if you're high. Better to be safe than sorry.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I know some people who smoke medical marijuana because they need it and happen to be great parents, they only do it it because they are dealing with either chronic pain or even cancer, so I won't say I think they are irresponsible, because they aren't. When they smoke they don't even smoke it in front of their kids. But I can imagine some people might smoke weed in front their kids and that is awful! Not as awful as smoking a cigarette though... but still not acceptable.
    Jenga likes this.
  8. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

I don't think it's a good idea to smoke around children. While their brains and bodies are still developing, it could have some form of influence on them biologically, causing them to have some form of defect. It's like people who smoke tobacco around kids, but maybe a little worse, considering they're altering their state of mind and may not be in the condition to properly care for the child. I don't see any form of benefits coming from smoking around kids, so personally, I don't think it should be done.

Of course, it's completely situational. I feel that Tremmie brought up some good points.
  9. CGraves89

CGraves89 Member

I don't think a parent should smoke weed. Think about it, weed is the gateway drug for MANY of us, your children are very impressionable.

You may not realize it, and your kids may not realize but they copy you and your actions. 9/10 a situation will arise where they are offered pot and in their mind they will tell them it is okay because their parents smoke.

Later on they might be introduced to another drug by those same people and it will be harder for them to say no since they have created a bond with said people.

If you are smoking weed for medical reasons, there are many other options instead of medical marijuana. You should be having the drug talk with kids younger and younger every year. I believe I was about 12 when I was offered my first drug, and kids now are being offered even younger now!

Pot itself isn't that bad but is what it leads to rather than what it is.
  10. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I don't think it's okay to drink or smoke anything around your children. Pot or cigarettes definitely no other kind of drugs. You are a parent you brought a child into this world it's not about you anymore. If you must pretake in doing these things at least respect the fact you are suppose to be an example. That being said make sure you are a good one.
  11. blackout

blackout Member

My parents did not smoke marijuana when I was growing up, but when my younger sister became involved with drugs in high school I found out how lenient my father really was. While he did not explicitly smoke in front of me it definitely made me see my father as more of a friend or brother than a father figure. I could go up to him and ask for alcohol and he wouldn't say no. He told me lots of stories about his drug abuse in high school and he seemed to brag about it. He really wasn't acting as a parent should.
    So, I'd say, if you're going to do drugs you probably shouldn't have kids. And if there are kids around, you probably shouldn't do drugs.
    Even though I didn't see him do drugs, he acted as if drugs were cool. This made me lose respect for him and I also felt very let down by my own father. Why would my personal role model be so bad? How could I continue to look up to this man? How could I take him seriously?
    My father's stance on drugs was opposite to my mother's. My mom had zero tolerance and my dad was convinced that it was fine as long as someone knew about it. This taught me about loopholes and grey areas. My father taught me how to deceive my mother in order to get high on the sly. My father encouraged drug use by elevating drug use to rock star status.
    I think his behavior was incredibly neglectful because he was only thinking about appearing "cool" to his kids rather than acting like a role model. Just because he was okay with breaking the law doesn't mean that he should have been teaching it to his kids, you know?
    Aside from teaching your children bad behavior, you're also stealing from your children if you use drugs. You're taking money from the family, yes, but you're also destroying their life support: Mom & Dad. If anything happens to you, what happens to your children? Yes, if they see you smoke that is bad because your kids trust you and will mimic your behavior, but what happens when you get caught doing something illegal and your kids get taken away?
    In my mind smoking drugs of any kind is bad for your children even if they never see you do it. You're stealing from their life. There is never a good time to do drugs if you have children. As a parent, you just don't get to be selfish anymore.
  12. CGraves89

CGraves89 Member

My thoughts exactly. You are suppose to be their rolemodel. You teach them right from wrong. Whether or not pot becomes legal is not he issue. It is an addictive substance whether people admit it or not, people don't let their children drink coffee as a child do they? That's legal, so why would you want toto smoke pot around your child letting them think its okay to do so themselves.

Beneficial or not, it impairs people's judgements and I would never let my child smoke or even be around pot.
  13. Nomore141

Nomore141 Member

I'd say if you know or feel that it's wrong while you're doing it, then it most definitely is if for no other reason than you being in contradiction with yourself. However if it is something that you do naturally, without needing to defend it to yourself and no member of your family has any issues with, as long as you're responsible, I think it's ok.