An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is It Good To Cheat On Your Friends

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by 6up, Aug 20, 2015.

1. 6up

6up Community Champion

Imagine your friends want to take you out for alcohol and you were on recovery, will you cheat so that you can avoid taking the free alcohol?
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Do you mean to lie to them and give them an excuse for not going? I would just tell them the truth that you're recovering and you don't want to go out for drinks. True friends would understand, if you ask me - and they should also be aware you're recovering!
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

That's kind of dumb if you ask me. You are trying to be sober but you can't pass up the free booze. Sounds like that means you don't have your priorities in order. Is that the cost of sobriety, free drinks? If so, then you need to ask why you want to get off of alcohol. Is it because of financial reasons or do you really want to quit?
  4. mooray

mooray Active Contributor

There is no need to lie. The best thing is to tell them that you do not take alcohol anymore and if they still push you to slip up then you need to cut them off.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

It is best to be honest with them and tell them that you no longer drink anymore. If they are your true friends then they will understand and be supportive of you. If they try to keep encouraging you to drink then you need to find better friends.
  6. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

The words are a little mix up in this post. I think it's "would you cheat and go with your friends to get free alcohol even though you are in recovery." Well it's not cheating. It's disrespectful of friends to offer if you've stated that you are sobering up. If they still offer when you've stated what you are doing avoid those people, cause they are not friends. If people want to tempt in the face of a strong person who is clearly doing the right thing. They are just the devils pals, not your pals. They are cheating you out of success is what it is. It's like here the cigarette look at me I'm puffing away. Want some? Let me buy you some. Whatever someone is sobering up from. A real friend will have respect for what you are doing. A scumbag will try to defeat you.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

If you are serious about recovery, you should never let temptations and cravings for alcohol get the best of you. You have to focus on your goal which is to become sober. If your friends really care about your welfare, they would definitely understand so you just better tell them the truth.
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

This is a dumb question. Of course you should say no to any invitation that will tempt you to take alcohol!
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There'd be no need to lie. When battling an addiction to avoid relapsing you've got two options:

- cut toxic friends out of your life
    or
    - tell your friends your friends about your desire to beat the addiction. They most likely won't try to get you to drink.

But should you get an invitation to "party" you could always decline. Tell your friends you don't drink anymore.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

If they're your friends then what's the point in lying? Just tell them you don't want to go, and if they ask why, then tell them the truth. If they're your real friends I'm sure they won't be bothered at all, in fact they should support you even more, especially if you tell then the full story if you do have a drink problem.
  11. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Tell them the truth. If you're worried that they won't like you anymore then they aren't much of friends in the first place. Maybe you should consider getting some sober friends.
  12. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

6up, maybe it is time you came back to explain what exactly you are asking. Whatever the intended question, I think we all agree that cheating or being dishonest in any way, is not the way to go. If you want to be sober, you need to be honest with yourself and your friends.
  13. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

Are your friends aware that you are in recovery? If so they shouldn't even drink around you! A true friend would be supportive in your decision to quit drinking not true to put you in a position where you will relapse.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also think that better to tell them the truth. If they are real friends, they will understand and might even help you or support you to fully recover.
  15. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

OK, so I'm in recovery and my friends want to take me out for alcohol. If that's the case, they really can't be friends at all. Any good friend would try and find something non-alcohol related to do. No need to cheat here, I'd be telling them exactly what I thought!
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  16. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

That's what I was thinking too!
    The friends that I have that do drink understand that I don't.
    If they don't understand this, then perhaps they are not great friends!
  17. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

That's the thing, true friends wouldn't tempt you in to having a drink in the first place if they knew that you might have a problem.

Not only that, they should repect your decision, and what you say they should accept without trying to force something in you.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  18. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

No, you're not cheating on them. After all, you're looking after your own well-being. If your friends don't understand your need to recover, then they are not really your true friends. People that don't have your best interests in mind should be avoided.
  19. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

I agree with @Damien Lee. If these people are truly your friends they would completely understand if you did not accept the invite. Furthermore, if they were really good friends, they would not have invited you at all to go out for drinks in the first place, and instead would have chosen an activity in which everyone in the group can participate in and enjoy. I try to come up with ideas for fun things to do in groups that do not involve alcohol, so that my friend with a drinking problem can freely participate at ease, without thinking or worrying about drinking. It puts the entire group at ease, not having to worry about tempting anyone with substances that they are trying to prohibit themselves from.
  20. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I would just tell my friends that I don't drink anymore. If they couldn't understand that, then there's really no need for me to go out with them anyways. There's no reason to feel pressured into drinking by the people that are supposed to love and care about you. I feel comfortable enough with all of my friend to tell them that I choose not to drink. They need to respect that.