An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is it hard to quit marihuana?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by remnant, Feb 22, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I have done some research on the usage of marihuana and concluded that it is not too hard to quit. This is because marijuana use causes emotional addiction as opposed to physical addiction and dependency caused by such drugs as alcohol, cigarettes, cocaine etc. which requires one to take increasing doses to achieve a high.
    EJR likes this.
  2. Krato

Krato Member

It wasn't actually all that hard for me to quit it, it takes a few weeks for your emotions to stabilize and they will dip from time to time making you feel like you need a hit, it still happens to me sometimes and I've been clean for almost 3 years. Just avoid substituting with another drug like alcohol for example, just because its legal it does not mean that it is good.
  3. 6up

6up Community Champion

It is really hard to quit smoking marijuana if you have smoked it for long. Nobody should cheat you that you can smoke it for sometime and then quit. If you have been addicted to smoking it, then you can't do any work without having to smoke. Your friends who smoke it will also make it harder for you to quit because they will want your company. They may be offering to buy for you when you don't have the money to buy hence making it difficult for you to quit.
  4. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I think it varies a little from person to person but generally, I would say it's easier to quit than most other drugs out there. It's a lot more subtle and easier to get your hands on. Unfortunately the fact that it is easier to quit will probably provoke many people to try it, as they'd be under the assumption that they can easily just live without it afterwards. But I'm sure some people may find it more difficult than others. I second what 6up is saying about how it's more difficult to quit if you've been doing it for a long time. You become too accustomed to is as a part of your daily life, as opposed to only doing it once and promising yourself never to do it again as you are aware of it's negative effects.
  5. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

This is what I have heard. It is just as addictive as tobacco, but that doesn't mean that there aren't thousands of people that quit on a daily bases.
  6. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

No it isn't at all. I have gone months at a time without smoking and haven't had withdraws or anything. For some people it may be different tho. In my case I've never had a problem quitting if I had to.
  7. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

It is not hard for people who can overcome the temptation easily because they have strong will power. If you don't have high will power, it is really difficult to quit any kind of addiction.
  8. NeonSuitcase

NeonSuitcase Member

The positive side is that marijuana use has no physical addiction, so it can be easier than quitting cocaine or alcohol. You are not chemically dependent on it. However, it is very possible to have a mental addiction to it, which will be the barrier to pass. With willpower and commitment it can be done.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Nothing is either easy to too hard. The attitude is what counts. If someone believes quitting will be hard then it most certainly will be hard to quit. If someone is certain they'll beat the addiction then they'll do whatever it takes to get that victory. That said, people who use marijuana to fight depression often have a harder time quitting.

To be able to fight the addiction they'll have to beat depression first 'else they'll find themselves relapsing each time they make an attempt to stop using the drug.
  10. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

This is very true, if you are smoking marijuana for leisure it can be really easy to quit but if you are self medicating and dependent on it to help you with your depression as you said it can be difficult.
  11. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Interesting the research you have done. I actually know lots and lots of people who find it near impossible to quit after several attempts at quitting. I think it's more of a problem for people who are addicted as opposed to people who just have the off and on smoke.
  12. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I did not find it hard to quit marijuana when I did. I found out that I was pregnant 12 years ago and I decided right then and there that I would quit. So I did and I have never had the feelings to go back to it. I never missed it and never thought that I am missing out on anything since I stopped smoking it.
  13. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

I don't believe it is difficult to quit marijuana. I have seen lots of persons just easily stop smoking the weed because of circumstance relating to work or participation in sports, and they been able to keep away from the stuff without and degree of difficulty.
  14. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

It's largely a psychological thing. What you will find is that if you have much more important things to worry about in life, then marijuana will be your last concern and you won't miss it at all. It won't bother you. However, if you don't have something like that going on you may find yourself more worried about where tour next smoke is coming from.
  15. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Marijuana is seen by some people as one of the many pleasures in life ;) I personally don't get what the big fuss about it is, but I do know that marijuana doesn't cause a physical addiction. That is why I give those who claim they are addicted to marijuana a really odd stare :p But then again marijuana is not so bad, an average cigarette is much worse...
  16. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Tеll trustwоrthy friеnds аnd fаmily mеmbеrs whаt yоu'rе dоing, аnd аsk fоr thеir suрроrt in quitting. Yоu'll рrоbаbly find thаt thеy'rе thrillеd tо sее yоu quit аnd suрроrt yоu hоwеvеr thеy саn.

This is еsресiаlly imроrtаnt if yоu wаnt tо rеmаin сlоsе tо реорlе whо аrе асtivе smоkеrs. Tеll thеm thаt yоu'rе nоt trying tо gеt thеm tо quit, but yоu'd аррrесiаtе it if thеy dоn't рrеssurе yоu intо using. If yоu gеt nо suрроrt frоm аnyоnе оr if thеy try tо gеt yоu tо "jоin in", соnsidеr whеthеr thаt реrsоn rеаlly bеlоngs in yоur lifе if hе/shе саn't rеsресt yоur сhоiсеs аnd rеquеsts.

Yоu mаy еvеn hаvе tо аvоid thе friеnds thаt yоu smоkе with fоr а whilе. If yоur еntirе sосiаl lifе with yоur friеnds соnsistеd оf gеtting high tоgеthеr, thеn yоu'll hаvе tо find а nеw sосiаl nеtwоrk. This mаy sоund hаrsh, but thаt's thе wаy it gоеs.