An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is it healthier to smoke tobacco?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by GenevB, Sep 30, 2015.

1. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Is it healthier to smoke rolled tobacco than cigarettes? I know that might sound dumb, but I have facts. In a cigarette there are about thousands of chemicals, meanwhile in tobacco aren't so many so I'm guessing that those chemicals are added in the tobacco or the filter, so my question here would be that if it would be better to smoke tobacco bought by you from a trusty source and rolled by you then the cigarettes that are found in the markets.
  2. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I have friends who roll their own cigarettes, and claim it is healthier (it's also cheaper). But the tobacco needs to be of good quality, and I doubt there are so many dealers who sell it so. It is better for you, but still harms your body, and don't expect to become a healthy person just because of it.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

If its all natural tobacco it would be safer but not healthier. Because natural tobacco doesn't have as many chemicals in it it's safer than already made cigarettes. But smoking tobacco is still harsh on your lungs and doesn't have anything in it that improves your health. Your basically looking for a lesser of two evils. I think that vaping is probably more healthier because your only getting the vapor from the tobacco.
  4. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

Really you're still inhaling smoke so it's not especially healthy, but I guess it's all relative!

When I was a smoker I had become so used to the large, tobacco-packed machine-made cigarettes that I found the roll-your-own variety inadequate. I could never pack enough tobacco into one to get my nicotine hit.
  5. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Maybe, because it's more "natural" than the factory packaged one. But it is still tobacco, so for sure it is still harmful for you, but only to a lesser extent. So I think you're better off not smoking at all.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Tobacco smoke isn't safer than cigarette smoke.

http://www.livescience.com/7914-warning-homegrown-tobacco-deadly.html
    good ol’ natural tobacco, particularly when burned, has upwards of 40 known or probable carcinogens that trump any harm done by additives.

Also, homegrown tobacco still has those same wonderful heart-stopping qualities causing higher blood pressure, higher cholesterol levels, and higher risk of artery clotting and stroke.

That should do it? Safer? Definitely not? Less harmful? Maybe not. Best not to substitute one bad thing for another that is just as bad.
  7. henry

henry Community Champion

Yes, I've also heard that smoking dark tobacco is a lot healthier than smoking blond tobacco. As someone said already, it doesn't have as much chemicals as cigarettes. Now, that doesn't mean you can go crazy and nothing will happen. Freud smoked cigars and still ended with jaw cancer.
  8. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Oh that's just a myth. It's true that rolling tobacco contains less chemicals but it's still just as carcinogenic as ready mades. You're much better off switching to vapes or giving up completely.
  9. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Any form of tobacco is bad for you, and the degrees of healthiest among pipe, rolled, or roll your own are very minimal at best. I agree with @missbishi that you should switch to a vape or quit completely. Vaping is still bad for you in that instead of breathing in smoke, you are breathing in water vapor. Either way, it is still going into your lungs and will cause you to feel congested.
  10. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

There is nothing healthy about smoking tobacco or any other substance for that matter! Smoke is harmful to the human lungs and whatever produces the smoke doesn't matter because it is still harmful to the lungs and will lead to breathing issues and then lung cancer.
  11. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I've heard people claim that rolling tobacco is less damaging to the health than traditional cigarettes. However, I'm not so sure. Personally, I only smoked cigarettes for a few years before changing to tobacco mainly because rolling tobacco is so much cheaper. You would think because rolled cigarettes are so much thinner than normal cigarettes that it would be a logical conclusion to believe that they may be less damaging. However, in traditional cigarettes the tobacco has been dried out so there is less likely to be excess chemicals in it, whereas with rolling tobacco the companies add shag to it to keep it fresh and so that it doesn't dry out. I also think that rolled cigarettes have a higher nicotine content and it also depends on whether you're using filters.
  12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

It is better to roll up your own cigarettes, definitely. The ones in the market contain a lot of added chemicals mainly to induce the addiction feeling, while you can purchase pure tobacco from trusty sources. It is still bad, but surely better.
  13. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I've never known of pure tobacco to be purchased unless you grow it yourself. Even rolling tobacco has extra chemicals added to it during the manufacturing process to keep it fresh. As I mentioned above, it also depends on whether you use filters. Additionally, the type of rolling papers you use also makes a difference. Some papers contain chlorine, others don't. Some also contain cyanide and formaldehyde.
  14. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I don't see any benefits in rolling your own tobacco, other than it's cheaper and more enjoyable of course.
    When you inhale smoke you inhale smoke, whether it be your rolled tobacco or store bought cigarette so I don't think it's healthier.
  15. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

Based on your explanations perhaps it is healthier to smoke tobacco you buy and roll on your own. However, is it really healthy in respect to it having absolutely no chemicals perhaps not. I think if you want to smoke something that has no chemicals then you would want to smoke an electronic cigarette.
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not think that there is a healthy smoke but maybe it can be coined as safer. As you have mentioned that it is herbal or purely leaves compared to the cigarettes being sold commercially.
  17. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

I think whatever it is be it the regular cigarette or tobacco all of these had chemicals in their own ways that produced smokes which is bad for one's health.
  18. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

It might not be as bad for you as cigarettes but they still are very bad for you. Just because it's got less chemicals doesn't mean that it's healthy.
  19. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

No. I have heard this before. The answer is no. Despite what some people think, the most dangerous stuff in tobacco is what is already there, not anything that cigarette makers add to it.
    Looks like a lot of the board members agree but I needed to add my two sense to back them up!
  20. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

This is true there is this miss impression that it's the filter or the paper that is bad for you, the reality is, it's the tobacco itself.