An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is it healthier to smoke tobacco?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by GenevB, Sep 30, 2015.

1. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Even with the chemical compositions being different, as well as the amount of ingredients, I wouldn't see it as a healthier alternative to cigarettes. If you want to smoke something without slowly killing yourself, use a vaporizer that doesn't have anything nasty in it. Not to say those aren't unhealthy either, but they are definitely not as bad as the former two. Filters may change things up a little and make tobacco less potent than cigarettes in the long run, but its still a smoke.
  2. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Wait, what?
    I smoked for a damn long time, I never met one smoker who claimed the filter or the paper was bad for you. The filter is there to help take harmful stuff OUT of cigarette smoke!
    Do people in real life actually think the filter and the paper are worst then the tobacco?
    Or perhaps this is something you just read online?
  3. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

It had to do with the tobacco being seen as natural product and the paper and filter some how wasn't. It was idiotic to say the least but yes I met people that used to say this.
  4. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Yep, filters are there to do exactly that - to filter out harmful chemicals which is kind of ironic seeing as you're still smoking harmful chemicals even though there's a filter. Most cigarette papers, however, do contain chlorine and some of them contain cyanide and/or formaldehyde. Nicotine is more poisonous than those though.
  5. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

I haven't really search for a scientific answer but I do tell you this. I have friends around 40-50 years old that have been smoking tobacco for pretty much their whole life and when they get x-ray, it shows their lungs are fine. I'm talking about seriously heavy tobacco smokers so I don't know what to say about that really. I'm not trying to advise smoking tobacco as an alternative, especially because I tried it and its not the same at all. You're craving cigarettes and smoke tobacco and the craving doesn't go away, maybe because with tobacco you don't actually inhale but I can't really state anything because again, I'm not sure.
    Based on what i know, tabacco doesn't screw your lungs as cigaretts do, but again, it wouldn't be an alternative as its totaly diferent and would be like quitting cigaretts and picking up a whole diferent addiction.
  6. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

Well, smoking overall is the same thing,it doesn't matter what you're smoking, it brings the same risk. So, no it isn't healthier.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I'm not sure... chewing tobacco is linked to oral cancer, the risk of getting oral cancer from chewing it is very high... so I don't think smoking it is any safer. I could be wrong, but if that thing increases your odds to get oral cancer by just chewing it, I imagine it has the same effects in your lungs. It can't be good, can it?