An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is it just me

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by PingPongCall, Jan 18, 2016.

1. PingPongCall

PingPongCall Active Contributor

Or is trying to stay sober the worst part of being alive these days? It seems unreasonable to live this way. Everyday I wake up, I can't but feel at odds with everything and everyone around me. It amazes me that people are willing to get up everyday and deal with this kind of life. How the hell does it happen so naturally for some?
  2. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Aw, I'm sorry you feel that way. The first days, weeks and months are the hardest but it will get better, in time. It can only get better. The thing is, some people's journey to sobriety can be easy but for most people, it can be quite a bumpy road. And I'm sure you're not the only one to feel this way, everyday will be a struggle. Hang in there, you'll get through this.

I don't think it happens naturally at all, the road to sobriety is always full of work and struggles. It may seem like it for some people, but I'm sure deep down, they have their own doubts as well. But it's all part of the journey and you will be able to make it. We believe in you. Good luck!
    Jasmine2015, Rainman and deanokat like this.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Sorry that you are feeling this way. It is going to be difficult for a while but you have to stay strong. It does get better and you will realize in time that life is much better through sober eyes and thoughts. Keep moving forward and focus on the positive things in your life. You got this!!
  4. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think you are facing a problem that may have led to drinking in the first place. Maybe look to make some positive life changes that will not be so stressful for you. Life can be difficult and facing it without alcohol if that was your coping mechanism is something that you have to get used to I guess.
  5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I think being sober is the best thing you can do to your life, even though it may not seem like it for the first couple of months. You'll eventually get used to not drinking/doing substances, and that's when things will fall into place. You either choose a healthy and sustained life or a controlling and addictive one, your choice.
  6. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I endorse everything you and others have shared. I would encourage PingpongCall to stay the course and focus on the positive things in life as you rightly said. Not every day will be the same but I am a firm believer in the sun coming out tomorrow.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  7. denise13337

denise13337 Active Contributor

You are not alone in feeling this way. To be honest I feel this way every day...every single day. I've been feeling this way since I was very young and even now I think about all those people out there with normal lives and normal jobs and I envy them. I can't speak for everyone but as an addict all I've ever wanted was to feel normal.
    Br&New and deanokat like this.
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

For me I guess I look at sobriety now as the best part of being alive. I used to numb every single emotion - now I feel them, the good and the bad - and to me I guess that's truly living. I've found out what I'm passionate about in life, and enjoy those hobbies and interests, rather than just drinking all the time and that being my "hobby".

It will get easier, I promise, but it can be hard. I hope you have a good support network around you - and we're here for you too <3
  9. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Finding a motivation to wake up every day might be rather hard some times, but we have to keep life up as it comes, and try to find a reason why to go ahead with it no matter what.

Troublesome moments make us see there is nothing worth in the world, and nothing to aim for, but if you look inside yourself, there might be a ton of good reasons to keep going on, including the possibility of a better future.

When and how? Nobody knows the answer, but we have to reach that day to find it out. Chin up and shine, storms doesn't last forever, not even by the Great Flood time ;)
  10. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

There could be a lot of reasons why you feel this way. You have to change your thinking and point of view about life. There has to be some goal you can set for your life even if it's something simple. Have a reason to get up everyday and stay focused on that. Also you should change your lifestyle and eating habits to more healthy ones that may help.
  11. everyday is a different battle, some days are easier, some are harder. you just have to find one reason to get up in the morning, one reason to keep you clean. for me it's my kids, they don't need to see me like i was. you need to find your reason to keep going and hold onto it for all it's worth. Keep moving forward.
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello there, @PingPongCall! I am sorry to hear that you have been struggling with staying sober, but I agree with what the other posters have already mentioned, everyday feels like a battle, and the best thing we can do is to stay strong and focused. We can overcome these issues in time. Just have faith.
  13. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Fighting an addiction is tough for everyone. Some have mastered the art of acting like everything is OK but deep down they are struggling. The confidence they project helps them through the day and deal with everything that will be flung their way: cravings, temptations, etc. It's not easy.

“Life is hope. Hope is faith. Faith is believe. Believe is possibilities.Possibility is miraculous.
    Lailah Gifty

Just keep fighting and have faith everything will be alright.
  14. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I'm sorry to hear that you are going through some issues while you're trying to stay sober but you also have to remember that is not an easy thing to do for anyone and that this frustration and pain is just part of the process, try to find a motivation or another person that feels the same way as you, that can help a lot! But you have to know that every person works differently, just try to find your way.
  15. PingPongCall

I think I may have also felt this way when I was younger. Everything always seemed so pointless. I don't know, maybe it's like an existentialism thing or something. Who knows?
  16. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

It's about learning proper ways to cope with the bad things that happen to you. I had a troubled childhood, so that prepared me well for this adult life and realizing how cold and cruel the world is. I learnt several coping skills over the years as a result, and for that I am grateful, but i still find my outlet in things I shouldn't... like for example binge eating during stressful times. I need to find a different way to deal with stress.

Anyways, my point is that you need to work on coping skills. Don't worry, things will get better after a while you just need to find something in which you can find strength or solace during the difficult times, other thing that is not booze or drugs, of course. For me exercise worked for a while, specially going for log walks in the morning.
  17. PingPongCall

Coping skills, I think, are beyond me at this point. Not sure why.
  18. PingPongCall

Whats the great flood?
  19. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

The Great Flood is an ancient episode, said to be a mythological story with religious connotation in which it was raining day and night for an extended period of time until the whole earth was flooded and only Noah survived sailing an ark.

Further reading can be found here, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah's_Ark
  20. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

No, it is not natural for any addict to live a sober life. Like you have said, everything around you seem to lose essence and you just realise that you are not interested in doing anything anymore. But this time will pass. You need to know that you are strong enough to get through this period. And keep telling yourself that it gets better everyday.