An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is it more healthy to smoke tobacco than cigarettes?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by GenevB, Aug 20, 2015.

1. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I know that this question might sound dumb, but I know for sure that in cigarettes there are a lot of harmful additives, additives that you can't find in tobacco normally. So, would it be healthier to smoke directly rolled tobacco? This way your liver wouldn't have to deal with so many additives and toxins.
  2. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

A lot of people would argue that smoking isn't safe at all. It is true that there are way more additives in cigarettes than maybe plain tobacco. Cigarettes have tar and maybe other things that are unknown in them to. I used to like the smell of old men smoking cherry wood pipe tobacco. But over all smoking is suppose to be bad for you, still plain tobacco has to be the lesser of two evils.
  3. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

Yeah, and no... it still contains nicotine and bad substances which give you those so annoying cravings. Though we can all have a mutual agreement on the fact it's way better to smoke plain tobacco than cigarettes, if you are really down to tobacco and don't want to quit on smoking. Though trust me... it would be better if you simply quit. Smoking isn't benefical at all.
  4. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I mean, cigars are safer than cigarettes; they're so strong in nicotine that one doesn't need to inhale to get the desired effects (someone's going to disagree here, but it's true according to every study conducted on the matter). That being said, any tobacco - maybe with the exception of Swedish snus - has the potential to cause cancer among other things. From a harm reduction standpoint - yes, natural tobacco is safer due to the lack of need to inhale it. But it's still not safe, just safer.
  5. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well... tobacco increase your chances to develop oral cancer... GREATLY. So not sure it's be a good idea to smoke it. I mean, the chances to develop oral cancer are much higher if you chew tobacco , much higher than smoking cigarettes for years... I'd not be so sure I'd be wanting to smoke a cigar after that...
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

You're right it is a dumb question. You need to rephrase it to which one is less harmful. "More healthy" should be in that as it implies there is something that will actually be beneficial in it.

But the numbers don't lie. The less harmful chemicals the less harmful it is as opposed to something that has about 100 of them.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Both are bad.

And both are equally bad for your health, according researchers:

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2014/02February/Pages/Roll-ups-as-hazardous-as-factory-made-cigarettes.aspx
    He reports that there is a misperception amongst people who smoke roll-ups that it is more natural, but this is not the case. If anything, RYO products could actually be more harmful than factory-made cigarettes . . . Many RYO products contain more additives than are found in cigarettes and an animal study has shown that the additives can increase the addiction.

So "all-natural-tobacco" certainly is more harmful than cigarettes.
  8. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

I don't really think so, both of smoke and tabacco contains nicotine and both have bad effects on humain body, so I don't believe that there is something better than something in bad things lol
  9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Both have really bad substances so I think they're equally worse for your body, but I'm not 100% positive. The conclusion here is that you should avoid both of those substances at any cost, since they're both harmful for your body.
  10. jbepp

jbepp Active Contributor

As someone has pointed out, both have harmful substances. The most important substance is nicotine, which is the one that creates the addiction. Cigarettes have some harmful substances that result form the industrial process, but at the same time rolled tobacco has many impurities that will really hurt your lungs. I wouldn't consider one over the other to be honest.
  11. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Both are bad for you. I mean either way, you will get a cancer of some sort whether it be lung cancer from cigs, or some type of mouth cancer from chewing tabacco.
  12. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

Exactly, that what I was trying to say, it doesn't matter if it's tobacco, cigar or cigaretes, they all bad for humain health, they destroy loungs, so the only way to stay safe is to avoid all of them not choosing the less harmful !