An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is it possible for somebody to give up cocaine on their own?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by L_B, Dec 19, 2015.

1. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I want my husband to stop using but am I being realistic to think that he can just give it up on his own. Is it something he needs to seek help to do. How addictive is it? I would appreciate any information.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  2. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

It's possible, I've personally seen it in people with huge will power. It is addictive but anything is beatable. The bigger question is, does he WANT to? Is he ready to, and is he willing to change it all for you.
  3. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

I've said before that cocaine is possibly the most psychologically addictive substance there is. I had cravings for literally years after I stopped using. But you can break that spell on your own as the drug isn't as physically addictive as, say, heroin etc. With support from yourself and other friends and family it is possible for your husband to stop.

The only disclaimer here is that I'd always seek the opinion of a trained healthcare professional first. Good luck with your journey.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Thanks. I appreciate the comments. He says that he wants to give it up but he has lied to me so many times that I have a hard time trusting what he says anymore. He said that he is going to start going back to his NA meetings in the New Year but that is something I will believe when I see it. I am being as supportive as I can be but he needs to want to do it. I just wasn't sure how addictive cocaine is.
    dita likes this.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, yes, it's possible. A person is capable of giving up cocaine on his/her own as long as he/she is truly determined about changing his/her life for the better. On the other hand, I believe that the support, and encouragement of their friends, and family is still important, if not necessary.
  6. 6up

6up Community Champion

Cocaine is very addictive if one does not stop abusing it earlier. It is also possible that one can stop the craving by themselves. If one can get materials that highlight the dangers of abusing cocaine, then they can know its dangers. You need to motivate him and I am sure that one day he will beat his addiction.
  7. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

I don't want to rain on the parade here, but personally I've never seen people managing to get rid of their cocaine addiction by themselves. It took them a very long time to cease taking cocaine, and sometimes it was or wasn't a successful practice. But I suppose that with enough will and devotement you can undoubtedly get rid of anything, not only cocaine.
  8. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I have pretty much given up on him ever giving it up. He will lie and still do it now matter how I feel. He lied yesterday. I found the texts. Someday he is just going to go to bed and never wake up.
  9. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

A friend of mine had issues with cocaine last year, bit was so bad! Now he is ok, he left it on his own... he got some last weekend though, after half year. So yes, people can definitely stop using this on their own if they want to, but isn't easy at all.... it takes loads of willpower, but it's doable... isn't like we are talking about an heroine addiction.
  10. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I quit booze, tobacco and cocaine on my own.
    BUT this was after reported half-assed failed attempts.
    First things first hubby will have to 100% want to get clean.
    Trouble is this nasty stuff makes you lie, he may tell you what you want to hear just to get you off his back.
    But in time, with love it can happen anyone can get clean.
  11. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Thanks it is good to hear from those to have had experience with it. The lies are what gets to me the most. He lies about everything and it is so frustrating because he is not near a good liar as he thinks he is. I always know when he is not telling the truth so then I start snowing around and I find the proof yet he keeps lying, I am hoping love with make him want to change but his habit has only gotten use over our time together. Love and support doesn't seem to be enough.
  12. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I'm a believer that anything is possible, when it comes to the human will. Still there is nothing wrong with seeking help for addiction. But there have been people who have done this that you rarely hear about, and did it on there own. The human mind is very powerful and when someone develops inner strength an addiction can be broken easily. Of course you have to understand the effect the drug has on your brain and body then learn how to take the right approach in breaking the addiction, that's what rehabs can teach you. The bottom line is without the will to quit it can't be done.
  13. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Yes, it is very possible to give up cocaine on your own. But then again, different folks, different strokes. The person has to be resilient enough to be able to initiate the change on his own. On one hand, others need support and encouragement before they start entertaining the idea of change. As his loved one, though, talk to him heart to heart about his situation and tell him sincerely about what you feel. It may change the tides and encourage your husband to pursue recovery.
  14. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I have had many heart to heart talks with him and when he is sober he is all for getting his life back. He talks about going back to his NAA meetings and getting clean. The next day I will come home from work and he will be high and drunk and there is no talking to him then. I have tried everything to reach him but he doesn't seem to want to get clean. He only tells me what he know I want to hear. I don't believe he is serious about it at all.
  15. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

Anything is possible to stop on your own, but it's something that the person has to really want to quit. If he doesn't have his heart set on quitting, then it's not going to happen, whether he gets help or not.
  16. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I would love to know the answer to that as well L_B as I continue to pray for a solution in your case. I know this wonderful guy and when I heard he was addicted to cocaine I was truly saddened. He seemed like the perfect gentleman but I was told when the cocaine takes over he's a completely different beyond help. I remain optimistic about him as I do about your husband. Whether either can do it on their own I can't say, but I remain hopeful.
  17. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I suppose anything is possible. Possible doesn't necessarily mean it is very likely though. A person would have a better chance if they seek out help.
  18. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Thanks everybody. He isn't trying to make changes. The NA meetings he promised me he would start going to in the new year never happened. I see calls on his cell phone from someone I suspect is his drug dealer. Yesterday he asked to borrow money from me so I can only assume his inheritance is gone. I didn't give it to him and he was pissed. Today he is drinking and my 8 year old grand daughter is here. It's storming outside so I can't go anywhere and he is a already starting to get mean and nasty with his comments towards me. It is only 4 pm, it's going to be a long night.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    dita likes this.
  19. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is possible but if he cannot do it by himself, it is just right to seek help. Seeking support or help in some organizations or institution can help him a lot as he do not need to face the battle alone.
  20. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Thanks well he doesn't want to seek help. He told me that it is none of my business what he does and what he chooses to do. He said it was his life and he would live it the way he wanted to regardless of how I feel. So I guess says it all.