An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is it possible for somebody to give up cocaine on their own?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by L_B, Dec 19, 2015.

1. dita

dita Member

I don't think he can do it on his own, without addressing his behaviours which will still be there if he doesn't get help. The nasty, paranoid, controlling evil that coke invites in and stays. He needs to address triggers and address these lies so he can heal himself and you.
  2. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

Drugs addictions are diseases that are hard to get over and get rid of. You need a support system to help you get through these hard times. I have a friend whom I don't really communicate with that often but he uses coke everyday. I am really thinking that he is working as an electrician because of this drug habit...which is bad news. I have seen them steal for this drug...work their fingers to the bone only to just sniff it away. You should be there for him and let him know he has you as a support system. This means the world to someone in need. Just be that rock they need to stand on.
  3. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Depends on how much the person is addicted to the substance. If he/she cannot go without taking it every day and takes in high dose there is no chances that he/she can give up on his/her own. However, if the person is taking few times in a week, you can help him/her recover on his/her own.
  4. melody

melody Active Contributor

I am sorry to hear this. Right now I think I am worried about your safety more than anything. Have you ever thought of holding an intervention? Of course, in some situations that could make it worse. You can not make him want to quit, that is true. You can however try to remember that you deserve to be treated with respect. You do.
  5. Mayoress

Mayoress Active Contributor

Getting over addiction isn't something that can't be done alone. And yes, it is very realistic to want your husband to get over this addiction himself. But does he really want to get over it? If yes, then bingo, he can do it with a lot of determination, confidence and even some sturboness. And of course, he'll need your full support too. If he really wants this, he'll find a way. But if it's not so important to him, he'll find an excuse.