An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is it possible to have an enjoyable party without alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by courtjesraspen, Jun 28, 2015.

1. It feels like every time I go to a party, the FIRST thing everyone asks is "where is the booze?"

Are people just wired to think liquor is the ONLY way to have fun as we get older?
    jeremy2 likes this.
  2. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

Yeah you can. You can have video games, movies, drinks, chips, music, a pool if it's at a house, truth or dare, baking soda and vinegar challenge(add 2 teaspoons of vinegar in your moth but don't swallow. Add a half teaspoon of baking soda, person who keeps it in their moth the longest wins).
    Is all I could think of :/.
  3. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

That depends on what you're interested in . My definition of a fun party is a 12 hour gaming lan-party with my friends,no alcohol,just soda
  4. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

People have different idea's of fun. For example I think fun is sitting down reading but other's think it's destroying your liver, in a bar full of strangers then going home getting someone pregnant of yourself pregnant then going on Jeremy kyle and destroying a childs life.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

There are so many ways to have fun but the kind of culture prevalent in most parties is preventing people from thinking otherwise. The person who believes parties are about booze, smoke and getting wasted isn't really there to have fun. He's actually going through something and the partying is just an excuse to cover up some deep-seated issue within himself. It's more important to enjoy the company of the people you're supposed to be partying with. How can you truly enjoy a party when you're passed out drunk?
  6. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

We can always enjoy ourselves without drinking. The problem is society itself has this stigma that an event can't be considered "adult" without alochol of some kind present. From high school onward, if you don't have and drinking of any kind, you're considered a lame party thrower.

And that's a very sad thing because it shows just how reliant people have become to the substance.
  7. LaraLara

LaraLara Member

It's sad in this society that we have now, nobody is confident enough to just be themselves without alcohol. We have been bread to be suspicions witch stops us from having fun unless we dull the senses. I remember drinking quite a lot on my first date with my new partner, and that led to smoking weed because we were so nervous of each other. I know of a few people who are very stable in themselves who don't abuse any substances, but for a lot of us we use things to cover up pain, weather its sex, alcohol, drugs, shopping...
  8. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Alcohol is a social thing, so it’s no surprise it’s often associated with parties. But I’ve had the most fun at parties without alcohol, so I’d say it’s entirely possible to have fun without booze. It’s just prevailing cultural attitudes that make people think it isn’t, which is disheartening.
  9. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

Of course it is possible. You can do lots at a party. It doesn't have to be a particular way in a particular method, people enjoy food more than alcohol anyway. You better make some really good food.
  10. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

YES YOU CAN!
    I go to lots of parties now a days with my church friends and we have a great time with little or no booze.
    I think when we are young and trying ti make friends we use alcohol as a social lubricant. Then as we grow we tend to still think of booze as necessary.
    In fact you can have way MORE fun when you are actually in control of yourself, and the conversation is much more on point with a clear head.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I always find that a party is more enjoyable with a drink, I have to admit.

Of course people can have fun without alcohol but if everybody as had a beer or two and your the only one that hadn't, it can get a little dull.
  12. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

By the standard we live in today, probably not. I know I myself personally don't need alochol, drugs, or anything else to have fun. But I can only speak for myself in that regard.
  13. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, you can, if alcohol is not that important to you. Like everyone said, it depends on what you like to do. Me, on the other hand, whenever I hear the word "Party," the first thing that pops in my mind is booze. The problem with trying to have a party without alcohol is, that you've got to invite people who don't care if they drink soda or juice while partying. So, you've got to pick them out, and that's no good, because your drinker friends ain't going to be too happy they weren't invited. Kind of complicated.
  14. rightct

rightct Community Champion

To my standards, definitely. I really don't see the point of partying with alcohol. A glass of juice would very well fit in its absence.

To society's standards though, it isn't acceptable. You must get drunk and lose all of your belongings in order to be labeled as a good socializing fellow. So, it really depends on which side you are.
  15. hubertjames

hubertjames Member

It depends on the type of event you go to. There are parties where the point seems to be to become very intoxicated. There are bars where you'd look stupid as soon as you walk in because the owners have a loose grasp of what responsible service means. On the other hand there's no reason you can't choose to go to places where moderate behaviour is the norm. I've played chess with people even at 3am in a bar! You just need to do some research to find nightlife areas that support your sobriety and your goals.
  16. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

Back in high school, I used to host a lot of alcohol and drug free gatherings. Of course this ended with high school graduation. I lost my mind and a lot of my "friends" went on with their lives.
  17. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

Of course it's possible to have fun without alcohol. After all, there are a ton of activities people can do there. It's just that it's become somewhat of an expectation, especially at high school and college.
  18. CrowdedHighways

CrowdedHighways Active Contributor

Definitely, if you're surrounded by the right people. I usually drink when I celebrate other people's birthdays, but for mine, we watched cartoons, baked cakes, opened the swimming season, and, although it might seem lame to some, everybody present seemed to enjoy it.
  19. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is very much possible because we have those kind of parties almost all the time. Very seldom that there will be an alcoholic drink, only when someone who is a drinker and brought a bottle in. It will be just a glass or two for him and for some who also want to taste it as majority as non drinkers and we discourage them to drink lots of it. We usually just had foods, sing along and conversations.
  20. Just Another Shallow Man

Just Another Shallow Man Active Contributor

Of course you can have parties without any alcoholic drinks, nobody should need to get drunk to have fun. Most of my friends have parties where we have music, play videogames, eat some pizza, talk about ****, etc, etc. Sometimes there's alcoholic drinks, but not much and they're not the focus of the party, just a drink for those who want it.