An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is it possible to have an enjoyable party without alcohol?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by courtjesraspen, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Pswales

Pswales Member

I think you can have fun without alcoholic drinks, you just have to make the party fun! Have games (cards against humanity), video games, food, movies. You don' t need alcohol to have fun, in my opinion...
  2. jteezymob

jteezymob Member

If you want a good party without booze. Ask the Mormons how it's done. Yes, I'm being serious. Mormons throw big parties without booze. Or you could go to some high schools & ask how they do that. Anything is possible, but yes, you really could. You just have to make sure the music is hot and the decorations are on point. Also, make sure that space is available and the lights are right for like a club.
  3. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

Definitely. It would be like sleep-overs in middle school, where no alcohol at all was involved. You guys could just sit together in silence watching Netflix or scrolling through Instagram. To me, technology nowadays is the ultimate addictive drug.
    An enjoyable party does NOT have to include the presence or appearance of alcohol, illegal drugs or any sort of addictive drug at all. If I were to attend a party, I would stay away from the drinks counter and just be at the lounges with my friends, talking. Yes, it is definitely possible.
  4. Fairplay007

Fairplay007 Member

There are Numerous ways to escape alcohol at party:

Don't reach a celebration starving, dehydrated, exhausted or upset. Any of these conditions can induce a wanting. Once a wanting is triggered it will modify the way you think. Some individuals contact it "stinking thinking". It's when the liquor identification tries to tell you that now it will be different, and that now you can consume without repercussions like everyone else.
    Hydrate throughout the day. Try and consume at least 8 associated with h2o.

Grab some peace and silent, and try to get some relax at some factor in the day before you go out. Provide one's body system and the mind an opportunity to slowly down.

Make sure you eat something healthy to stage out your blood vessels carbs. This will keep your emotions from becoming irregular.

If you experience upset, I would not suggest going to the celebration at all. Rage is another cover up for wanting, only slyer and more innovative. Rage can get you intoxicated so quick you won't even know what hit you. Almost as bad as the getting intoxicated is the anger, as we usually show anger verifying it as a reliable scapegoat.

Have your own automobile, or have a strategy so that you keep the celebration when you want and on your conditions. It's all well and excellent to car share, but if you are on unreliable floor with liquor, you really want to be able to keep when you begin to experience distressed or unpleasant.

Always keep enough money on you for a cab or other urgent. (I also like to keep another set of home important factors invisible as well.)

If you are really having problems remaining fresh and fresh liquor, you may need assistance. I viewed on The Greatest Loss where an individual said that he realized what he required to do to shed bodyweight, but was incapable to do it. Now that he had an instructor, he did so much better and actually would not have been successful without that assistance. Sometimes all an individual really needs is someone in their area to help them through. If you have had your time of quality and really need to quit consuming, then get some help. Minutes of quality come at the most surprising periods. Whether it is Xmas, New Decades, Easter time, summer time vacations, or other occasions; if you want to quit consuming get a trainer or assistance program. Start experiencing your unique moments without liquor. Start experiencing yourself, it may take studying some new viewpoints, but you're so value it. I think this may help.
    Rainman likes this.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Let's be honest. Alcohol does make things a bit more interesting. However, I don't think a party is doomed if there was no alcohol present. It might not get as lively, but I'm sure clear thinking can come up with things to do to make things more colorful.
  6. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Why not? If you enjoy the company of people you are with, then I am sure anu party will be great! Sometimes, people rely on alcohol too much that they think life would be so boring without it. Maybe if people can be more outgoing and happy without the use of alcohol, life would be exciting!
  7. L_B

L_B Community Champion

It is definitely possible to have a party and to have a good time without the need to consume alcohol. I have been the designated driver many times and I still have a lot of fun. I don't need booze to laugh and carry on good conversations. I can dance and sing and have a blast without a single drink. Some of the best parties I have been to are ones where I choose not to drink. It is nice to wake up with a clear head in the morning and have no regrets of things that may have been done the night before because of too much alcohol.
  8. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I don't think it is even an older thing. Isn't it more like a teenage thing? You know when you drank until you passed out or threw up. People can only do that for so long.
    I'm thinking society is brainwashed into believing this is the only way to have fun. I've seen plenty of people, including myself enjoy many other things in life. Its just an association. Night time and party. Dinnertime and party. Margaritas in the morning and you know you're on your way. Its kind of empty.
  9. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I think you can have fun in any situation without alcohol involved. I'm one of those "annoying people" that quote, "If you need alcohol to have a good time, you're not a very fun person." No one needs to depend on alcohol to have fun. I have a ton of fun and I'm more sober than ever.
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

It is, but it depends who you are with. I believe a party can be very fun even without alcohol, but it all depends on the people who are with you. My in laws Christmas parties are so damn boring because they are boring people, whose idea of a Christmas or new year party revolves around sitting on the couch for hours drinking coffee and watching TV.
  11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

If there's a party where everyone is drinking you're gonna feel kind of left out, let's be honest here. As long as you're with your friends and they understand your opinion about alcohol you should be good to go, but if you're gonna party with strangers you're gonna have a hard time.
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

You can still have fun without alcohol. I have already been through that kind of situation before. I was at a party, and everyone was drinking. Although the temptation was quite high, I have never let my urge and cravings get the best of me. And yeah, I still enjoyed the party. :)
  13. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I reckon parties without alcohol can be done and also it can be a small gathering with friends or family which can be enjoyable and people can go to the beach or the park and, have a nice time as you will get some fresh air and also time to relax. Alcohol does not need to be drunk to the point where someone is drunk or passed out as that can cause problems to the body and also the person ends up making bad choices, or sleeping with a girl they did not want and get a baby in the process. It is interesting to see what we can do at the party and have some games which can make us be happy and we can use soft drinks which are nice and can have nice foods to eat and, enjoy our time while having a gathering.
  14. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

It is. I've done it multiple times. As someone who doesn't really drink too often, it's either go to the party sober most of the time for me or not go at all. I just wish more people understood that you don't need alcohol to have fun in every situation.
  15. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

I had a party about a week ago that was almost bone dry. We put maybe four beers in the fridge, and had two bottles of wine as well. Two of the beers got emptied and neither bottle of wine was touched. Everyone seemed quite happy to drink juice or pop and talk about old times.

I think it depends on the crowd. The more you have in common, the less you need alcohol to entertain yourselves.
  16. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Unfortunately that is the mindset of most people, me included. Whenever we are having a good time with friends its normal for guys to get some booze just to keep the party going. The good thing is, i have managed over time to control my urge and i always decline politely when a drink is pushed my way.
  17. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I really think that you can have fun without that. If there are things to do at the party you can have fun. It's really just popular culture that makes everyone feel the need to drink. There are always ways to have fun at a party. I've been to cook outs and have had fun without drinking.
  18. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It certainly is possible to have an enjoyable party without alcohol. I've been to numerous parties where no alcohol was served and everyone enjoyed themselves. I've also hosted two such parties, no alcohol served and at the end of the day, everyone had enjoyed their day immensely. There are other things which people like. Give them that. Some tasty food, some non-alcoholic drinks, etc.
  19. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

There does seem to be a common mentality that you need a drink to have a good time. It's perfectly possible to have fun without alcohol though and I do wish more people realised this.
  20. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

If that isn't your scene then don't go to those parties. You can hang out with those same people in other social settings. Go see a movie together, go to a coffee shop, go to the beach. Hang out with them when alcohol isn't involved.