An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is it Possible to Recover Alone?

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by BethBrown, Mar 4, 2015.

1. BethBrown

BethBrown Member

I see all this advice for recovery, but I am concerned over whether it is best. I know that laughter and music can be helpful. However, I think they are best used in conjunction with other rehabilitation treatments, preferably those involving human contact. However, due to time and money and other excuses, these are not always plausible options. Do you think it is possible to recover from an addiction without human interaction? If so, which treatments are best for that?
  2. rubydust

rubydust Member

It's possible, but it's very difficult. Coming off a drug isn't a pleasant experience, but it can be done. I did it alone, because I was afraid to admit to anyone that I was an addict.

It's not just the actual detox that is hard though. Staying off the drug is challenging. This is why I would recommend you try to get some sort of support. It doesn't have to cost anything. Visiting this forum is a great place to start. The members here are very supportive.
  3. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Everything is possible in life. Not every person lives in a country where help and resources to overcome an addiction are freely available. In the end it's up to the individual as to how he will approach his problem. If there is no one that can lend a helping hand, you have to face the fact that you have to pull yourself out of the swamp.
  4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

It's absolutely possible. It really depends on your personality & whether you thrive alone or with other people. Many people have done better without others in their treatment. Human contact can sometimes be a trigger rather than a help.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

When you talk about full recovery, you cannot discount human interaction because it's an integral part of the process whether you go through the 12-step program or recover on your own. If you're not comfortable with face-to-face human interaction, then you may bet your dollars on an online program. No man is an island, buddy. You have to remember that. We were born to interact with other beings.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Now we have the internet, it's perfectly possible to build up a good support network online - you don't necessarily need face-to-face interaction. This can be really useful for those who have problems in social situations and those who prefer to go it alone. There is no "right" way for anyone to get clean and sober and all methods have both their pros and cons.
    IrishHeather likes this.
  7. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

I think social media and online resources can be especially helpful to those that have social disorders. But I do also think that it can help the recovery process to have healthy and active relationships with people who want to see you do well in your recovery. I think cutting yourself off from all human interaction can only cause problems down the road and make a relapse more apt to happening.

Each person is different, but I think if the person is fully committed to their sobriety then alone or with others they will succeed.
  8. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

Depends on the severity of the addiction and the will power of the person to change, really. A lot can happen to derail your progress, whether you're alone or with your support group or seeking help from a professional. Though it does become a lot easier if you have help, you can bet that it's possible to tackle it alone. It's just very difficult.
  9. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Yes, it is absolutely possible but as mentioned above, it depends on how bad the addiction is, the person's will-power (or won't-power, as I prefer to call it) and whether any social situations or other negatively influencing situations happen to occur which cause the user to relapse. It's absolutely possible though. I, myself, recovered from addiction alone with no help from anyone whatsoever.
  10. AskLaplace

AskLaplace Member

It is but I don't think it would be easy. It would be very very difficult. One effect of drug abuse without the knowledge of your family or friends is isolation. Psychologically speaking, the question is, can a person deal with the recovery while dealing with the isolation as well? This is why talking to people about it helps a lot.
  11. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

I agree that it is very difficult. The reason for that is because without human interaction, we are only dealing with ourselves, who got ourselves in trouble in the first place. Therefore, all of the decisions during our recovery will be heavily dependent on our decision that got us into that addictions in the first place and that cannot be good. I don't know if asking advice in an online forum is considered human interaction or not by your definition but it is also a great way of getting help without meeting face to face or spending a lot of money.
  12. wahmed

wahmed Active Contributor

I think it depends on what kind of person you are. For someone like me I would need help and support to get through what I was going through. I would need someone to tell how I was feeling. Some people may prefer to do it without people bugging them.
  13. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Well, not really without human interaction. In order to forget about your craving you need someone to support you and be by your side. Even one person is good. Don't hesitate to tell your best friends what you feel, that's how I got over my addiction!
  14. fagoot1

fagoot1 Member

I think it can be done if you are optimistic and have the mind set for it. However, it's incredibly better when you have someone to lean on and help you with recovery.
    kio likes this.
  15. AgentofC

AgentofC Member

It may be possible but having a group of people to socialize with and gain support is still the best way. It's time to turn those excuses to solutions. Be creative and resourceful, you don't have to spend a lot of money to have human interaction. Your friends and family are your main support group.
  16. xSentaru

xSentaru Active Contributor

Yes, it is, but not really necessary. These days you have so many online and offline communities who are willing to help. This one for example is the perfect place in which you can have your "self recovery". It's all about your willpower and how much of an addict you were. Everything is possible, friend.
  17. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

The recovery advice is for the guys, who have sagging will power and determination. If you don't require any advice or support, you wouldn't have been here in the first place. People who have made mistakes in the past and who realized their follies seek redemption. I think, it's pretty much OK to make mistakes as all human beings have some sort of weakness. It may be possible to recover alone, but it's easy to recover quickly, while being among people.
  18. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also think it is possible since the human mind can really be powerful depends on a person. But as being said here, it will really be so hard than having an outside support or human interaction. I think it is not costly to find friends or relatives who can somewhat help like in listening to you or being with you to make you feel someone is there who cares.
  19. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think it's very possible especially considering that some people just work best when they are alone. I think it's somewhat easier if you have someone to talk to and learn from and lean on but I don't think they are necessarily requirements to getting better.
  20. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

It's impossible to recover from addiction without support and love from other people because loneliness surly will cause relapse and waste all the effort and energy one put into breaking the habit.
    kio likes this.