New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is it possible to use Marijuana in a good way beside medical use?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by amin021023, May 14, 2015.

1. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Hi. I once heard someone saying I owe everything I achieved in my life to weed, I first laughed at him, but when I put more thoughts on it it doesn't seem impossible. They say Weed enhances your hearing and musical sense, so musicians can really benefit from it. I know a guitarist who confirms that.

What are your thoughts on this? Can weed be useful in other situations?
  2. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I've seen to evidence to support your buddy's hearing theory. However, weed can definitely change your ability to comprehend, appreciate and create art (including music). I used to smoke weed and (I'm a musician and a songwriter) was rendered useless after smoking a joint and playing guitar. It depends on the person really.
    amin021023 likes this.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

In Hawaii the ancient natives use to make rope out of marijuana. So that's a good alternative to smoking it. That one came out of left field.

But this is debatable with the current findings of Marijuana usage. There are a lot of people out there including war veterans that have sworn that Marijuana helps with the pain of their wounds suffered during war. All the painkillers weren't helping them and weed was the natural alternative to mellow them out and make the pain go away.
    Farris and rightct like this.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While it's a debatable subject, I think a lot of creative people will do most of their best work when they're high on one substance or another.

Weed opens the mind to places people wouldn't normally go, they'll think things a lot deeper than somebody who isn't taking it.

I guess that's one way that marijuana can help that's non medicinal, but like I said at the beginning, I think that argument is open to a lot of debate.
    Shimus likes this.
  5. rightct

rightct Community Champion

It's definitely debatable. Not rarely can I hear artists saying that marijuana can enhance their senses and make a better work than generally, but some also complain that in fact it does the opposite of helping, calling it unproductive.
    Though my two cents is that, if it wasn't for those negligible side effects of marijuana like degrading short-memory and long-term one, I would definitely say that marijuana is indeed productive for the majority of artists.
    Like JoshPosh pointed out, if you're at war or a similar case, weed can absolutely replace "placebo" painkillers.
  6. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

This is quite an interesting perspective and I believe I have heard similar reasonings advanced. While I am not myself convinced, it is something worth investigating.
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
  7. I can't speak for everyone but I have been married to a pot user for 10 years and we are in the process of divorce because he can not seem to quit. It makes him lazy, and not a good husband and father. He reaks and our kids hate the way he acts even though they don't know the reason. I hate marijuana and feel that it has made a huge negative impact on our family. I see nothing good that can come from it being used recreationally. I have however seen good results from the cannabis oil for people with chronic pain and seizures.
  8. Just Another Shallow Man

Just Another Shallow Man Active Contributor

It's a good stress-reliever when smoked casually, really. Other than the theory that artists can use it to "expand their mind" and get an influx of creativity, I think that pot is not that harmful when smoked casually and used as a stress-reliever. The problem is that it's a slippery slope, like any other drug people are bound to get addicted and it can really mess you up, such as in the case of momof4blessingz's husband...
  9. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Momof4blessingz, I am sorry this is the way marijuana affected your family. I am guessing that since you are in the process a divorce you have exhausted all your options. I'm sorry he did not make the necessary adjustments to save his family. I still hope he finds the help he needs and be a good father to his children.

Someone said marijuana can be a slippery slope and I couldn't agree more. Casual users often become addicted. I have heard the story countless times.
  10. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

JoshPosh gave an awesome example there. Hemp Fiber seems to be quite strong and is suitable for manufacturing. Its usage is also prevalent in Korea. They use it for clothes as well.
  11. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

There are products made from hemp. There's hemp lotion, hemp fiber, hemp rope, etc. The plant is good for much more than just smoking.
  12. Thank you so much!! I am so grateful to have found this forum. I have been so encouraged!
  13. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

All drugs of every sort can be useful. Period. However with weed it seems like ti's primary use for those that are recreationally smoking is to self-medicate an issue that may or may not be diagnosed. Especially when the user is using every day & finds they need it to feel regulated. It's best to find the cause behind the need.
  14. @JoanMcWench I totally agree. My husband has social anxiety and just anxiety in general. I have tried to encourage him to seek treatment from a psychiatrist to no avail. He seems to think that pot helps him be more "normal" but all it does is make him act completely weird and abnormal.
    Farris likes this.
  15. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I used to really "love" smoking weed, then I grew to dislike it. I used to smoke a lot of weed, and it did enhance my senses, and I fell in love with the way it made me feel for awhile, but different things can start happening when you are dealing with it.

You can feel fine, after years of smoking it, nothing goes wrong. Then one day, out of the blue, you can be so paranoid you can't walk down the street. Next day, you're fine again. I began not to like the mood swings, the unpredictability. I also didn't like that my quality of weed would vary from day to day, even if I got it from the same place.

I hated the amount of money I was spending. As soon as I got a dollar I 'had' to give my money away to the weed man/lady. If I ran out of weed, I would get violent because I "needed" it to relax and if I didn't have it, I was in a bad, bad mood. Just wasn't worth it.

Plus, anything that one is lighting on fire and inhaling can't be good for the lungs.

When I was in the midst of my full-blown, weed smoking days, nobody could tell me anything bad about weed. It was relaxing, enlightening, an aphrodisiac... to me, it was one of the best things in the world.

Now-a-days, my mind has changed on that subject. I avoid weed like the plague.
  16. 6up

6up Community Champion

There is no any other way to positively use marijuana. Marijuana use can make your blood pressure to rise. One can never concentrate in their work after taking marijuana. It makes one feel tired and makes one's eyes reddened. Imagine you have red eyes and you have gone to look for a job. That can disqualify one from getting the job. Many people fear marijuana users making one to feel unwanted in their societies.
  17. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

@momof4blessingz I'm sorry to learn of your situation. I was going to say it sounds like he has other problems, which you then stated he does. I'm sorry he wasn't able to overcome them. I wish your family well.

As to the topic, I think people feel like it "expands the mind," because it lowers their inhibitions. This could also be said of any number of drugs. I also don't think people who are intent on smoking it really need any more excuses. They're going to smoke it if that's what they choose to do.
  18. @Zyni Thank you so much. I have a peace about our future. I am focused on my children and pursuing things that I have put on hold to deal with his crap. I have said it before but I am so thankful for this forum. It has been so encouraging to me!
  19. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

@bsthebenster was right on the money when he said it depends on the person. People would be enticed to snort or ingest weed just to see how compatible it is with their system. Still, even if usage results to enhanced skills, there's no guarantee that this would remain to be the case after constant use. Those enhancements may only be temporary. In the long run, so much will have been taken from you.
  20. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I also have to agree with this. A lot of creative type people I know in real life have used it as a "muse" of sorts, myself included. If you want famous example of this just look at the Beatles or some other famous musical artists. And then listen to their lyrics. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds was a very clearly a song about them tripping on acid while mixing in personal feelings. This is no different then smoking weed and composing a song. A drug is a drug when it comes to that end, legal or not. And people seek it out to find their "inspiration" of a sort.

Not saying this is wrong, but it's not good to use drugs to just get "creative" - but this is a good use aside from it. Like Josh said, you can also make hemp rope out of it, or various applicable instances of it being used aside from being smoked.

Besides "PROVEN" Medical Use, I'd still suggest it to people turned away from such doctors who would prescribe it naturally to them in their state (Cancer, Lack of Appetite, Glaucoma, XXX excuses here) but I can't really just think of many good ways to use it aside from medical. At that point it just seems like recreational.