New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is it really a gateway drug?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Widow, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Widow

Widow Member

All my life I've heard that smoking marijuana leads to using "harder" substances. I can't 100% say that I agree with that statement. I also can't say that I didn't eventually do other drugs. I do know I would have been fine with just smoking pot if I'd never been introduced to other drugs.

I know several people that have only smoked marijuana. They have no interest in using other drugs.

Why is it that many people still refer to it as being the gateway drug?
  2. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I agree with you I don't think that marijuana is a gateway drug. Most marijuana smokers haven't tried anything else, but sometimes the marijuana might be laced with other substances and some one could be consuming another drug without even knowing it.
  3. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I think the fact it's illegal makes it the gateway drug.
    Because to get it you have to involve yourself in the drug world and deal with drug pushers to get it.
    Also we have been telling kids "Oh Pot is the devil stay away it makes you crazy and addicted after one took and you'll rape someone and end up in jail."
    So they smoke a few of those doobies and say hey it's not that bad, maybe they overreacted on other drugs too. Maybe coke and heroin are really not that bad.
    Now listen I used to drink a lot, that's a REAL gateway drug man.
    I only got high a few times off weed when I was younger, and all I wanted to do was eat pizza and watch Star Wars.
    But get a few beers into me and cocaine started to sound like a really good idea. I 100% think that my previous alcoholism led me into my previous cocaine addiction.
  4. Joethefirst

Not everyone hast the same reaction to drugs. Alcohol never made want to try other drugs, but it did make smoke like a chimney. I could easily get through two packs in a night.
  5. Krato

Krato Member

For me weed was not a gateway drug and I was blazing for like 10 years. I suppose it depends on the persons susceptibility and if they are always looking for a 'new' high. When smoking weed on a regular basis most people find that they have to smoke more each time to get to same level, perhaps for some it's just not enough so they go and try different drugs to get that new high. I think it would better to call it a gateway drug for some and a drug of choice for others. It wasn't one for me.
  6. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

If marijuana is a gateway drug, I'd have to say that alcohol and tobacco is as well as Tylenol. Marijuana in my opinion, isn't a hard drug. I think it has some amazing medicinal uses and properties that do help people manage certain illnesses and disease. I am a strong believer that CBD oil does cure cancer as well as seizures. I can't see anything else that is a "hard drug" doing that. Most hard drugs are manipulated or cut with other chemicals to change their properties making them extremely dangerous. Marijuana is a plant, that grows naturally and produces a flower that people get an "effect" from smoking! Seems pretty natural to me.
    Dankboi likes this.
  7. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I think the reason why marijuana was branded as the gateway drug is because it is usually the very first illegal substance that people use before trying other, much stronger stuff. If that is so, then I would say the same for cigarettes. I mean, most people I know who have tried marijuana, tried tobacco first. They liked it and since they were able to handle tobacco, they tried marijuana.
  8. mikelouis

mikelouis Member

Since many states are making it legal for medicinal purposes, it is easy to find people hooked on it. If you say that it is a gateway drug, that will not always be the case for all people. Some will only use marijuana while others will involve other drugs. I would not advise anyone to start smoking it, as there are still health issues that come up when it is used.
  9. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, not in all cases, but it certainly does happen, and more often than we might think. Many of my friends started with weed and went to harder stuff, like coke and crack. Let me put it this way: it's like saying that beer is a gateway drink to alcoholism.
  10. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think the vast number of people who smoke pot do not go on to harder drugs. I think sometimes it may open the door to drug experimentation, but many people who use pot, do not want to use drugs that they feel will be very harmful to them. In other words, they may be a bit more sensible.
    Dankboi likes this.
  11. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

I don't believe it's a gateway drug. There are thousands of people who are solely marijuana users, some people don't smoke but ingest it by other means brewing it like a form of tea or just inhaling the aroma. In Jamaica where I am from the Rastafarians refer to Marijuana as a sacred herb and a true Rastafarian does not indulge in those hard drugs like heroin etc.
  12. Joethefirst

Even though I agree with in relation to the issue about medical marijuana, I don't see how you could consider alcohol and tobacco in the same league. Both substances are legal and freely available while marijuana isn't. I'm not saying that it is gateway drug and that's it. It's just if someone is buying marijuana on the black market is more likely to get into contact with other drugs.
  13. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Marijuana isn't a gateway drug. I've known people who abuse marijuana for a long time but have never tried using any other drugs. I think this is one myth that makes it harder for people to believe the things that really matter — the negative effects of abusing marijuana — which will also be viewed as bunk too.
  14. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I think whether or not a particular drug is a "gateway drug" depends a lot on the person using it. Nothing is ever going to be a gateway drug for everyone. Plenty of people use marijuana without moving on to something stronger. But if someone's brain is wired a certain way, marijuana can absolutely be a gateway drug. My son started smoking pot at age 15. It wasn't long before he wanted a "stronger" high. So he moved on to RX pills. Then heroin. So in my son's case, I'd say that marijuana was his "gateway drug." But, like I said. I don't think it's that for everyone. Hope that makes sense.
  15. Dankboi

Dankboi Member

QUOTE="Widow, post: 76389, member: 4055"]All my life I've heard that smoking marijuana leads to using "harder" substances. I can't 100% say that I agree with that statement. I also can't say that I didn't eventually do other drugs. I do know I would have been fine with just smoking pot if I'd never been introduced to other drugs.

I know several people that have only smoked marijuana. They have no interest in using other drugs.

Why is it that many people still refer to it as being the gateway drug?[/QUOTE]
    The government doesn't want people to use things they do not make money from, I myself have also just smoked weed, not tried anything else because I'm satisfied with just weed

I don't agree with that
  16. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Dankboi I hear you on that. I do know some people who occasionally use it, and have no desire to use anything else. I also know some who use it more than they want... and feel as if they are addicted. Just as any substance, there are various factors.... and some really are more apt to become addicted to things.... call it an addictive personality trait... or not... but the reality is that some are more prone... so for those people, maybe it could lead to more.... for others, maybe not.

There is a grey area.. for sure. Thanks for your input.
  17. Garrick1967

Garrick1967 Member

...it's fairly simple. You still have people in just the right corners of our government that are under the ridiculous notion that not only is Marijuana a horrible and dangerous drug that has been classified as MORE DANGEROUS THAN HEROIN! Please think about that. Just that statement alone shows that some false and obviously paranoid like decisions were made to classify this substance as such a threat.
    As far as being something that can lead to worse substances? IMO... walking out of your residence into the world for the day is where you can open yourself up for outside influences. If you have an "addictive" type personality then yes you probably will 'stray' towards other things to try but this would include other "toxic" habits as well such as greasy fatty fast food, lottery 'scratch off' tickets, anything that becomes a bad habit. (I heard similar on one of Joe Rogan's podcasts, but he struck a chord with me and it makes sense).
    I just feel that if you gravitate to more dangerous drugs, it was going to probably happen whether you had experimented with Marijuana or not...gw
  18. Dominica

@Garrick1967 hey there! thanks for sharing. you do have a point about those who have addictive tendencies... i've known those on both sides of that, and the addictive ones are more apt to be running an addiction to one or more things for sure... i def don't believe marijuana is more dangerous than heroin. wow... that is far fetched for sure....
  19. NeverAgain333

NeverAgain333 Member

When I was smoking weed I was always petrified of trying any other drugs. But as soon as I put down weed that’s when I become interested in trying other drugs (lsd,Xanax,painkillers,molly,cocaine,etc...). I think it all depends on the person but overall I would say yes it’s a gateway drug.
  20. Dominica