An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is it really a problem?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Hannah, Mar 4, 2016.

1. henry

henry Community Champion

They have the same right to drink, I agree. But men don't get pregnant.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

This was exactly along the lines of what I was going to say. Some people I know drink regularly but it doesn't seem to define them and if they went a while without it, then it wouldn't bother them particularly. I think they could genuinely stop at any time. To me it becomes problematic when either it impacts your lifestyle (relationships, jobs, things like that), you simply can't stop, you drink to excess every time you drink and things like that.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

No judgement at all, but the moment a person starts drinking consistently every week... it's considered alcoholism. Doesn't matter how functional the alcoholic is... it's still considered a problem. Some people don't consider getting help until things have gotten worse.
  4. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

You seem to have found a relatively healthy balance with your drinking. That is a good thing, but it sure is a problem for real addicts. Those that can't even look at an alcoholic beverage without being triggered to drink until they black out.
  5. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I had these spells and I think it is okay. Maybe not every single night but if it is few shots of your favourite drink. Why the hell not. There is a huge difference between I WANT TO and I NEED TO. I managed to put myself in the first group and I am happy with that. Need is what makes you an alcoholic and if you just decide to drink because you feel like drinking, it is not that serious. I believe you can take a break when you want to as well.
  6. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I don't think that you necessarily have a problem. On my personal opinion I think that it becomes a problem when that certain thing is inferring with certain aspects of your life, so what I've read it doesn't seem to be a problem now, just don't make it an habit, because it becomes bigger and bigger.
  7. monty

monty Active Contributor

Drinking is not bad but being addicted to it, is worst because it affects our health and mind both.And both are very necessary to be healthy and if we keep on drinking every night then it will be serious for us.Science proved that consuming 20% of alcohol every day is good and keeps us healthy but unnecessary and in a large amount is pretty bad and not good.Well! I don't prefer drinking every day but 2-3 times in a week.
  8. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 Member

Yes, alcohol is a serious problem. My step dad had a alcohol problem. He use to drink a lot of alcohol and get arrested a lot. The police took away his driver’s license and impounded the car. Alcohol is illegal to consume outside of a bar. It is very dangerous with the law. I use to drink alcohol until my step dad went to jail. Then I decided to quit drinking alcohol. I suggest you do the same. I am talking to whoever decides to read this paragraph.
  9. monty

monty Active Contributor

I think drinking on occasions is not a problem but drinking unnecessary and without any reason is a serious problem to look out for.Means it doesn't make any sense to me that I drink unnecessary and without any reason,There should be some particular reason behind my drinking otherwise, it's really worst for my health.
  10. ThomasCard

ThomasCard Member

I used to do exactly what you do Hannah but I eventually started to feel the effects of it after a couple years, I would realize that I had forgot whole portions of the night even on a light night and that started to worry me. Now I have significantly cut back, to the point where I only drink when I'm out with friends and even then I try to limit it to a beer or scotch or two.
    I do, however, look back fondly on my heavier party days and I think I always will, but that portion of my life got dark, fast, so I decided to give it up.
  11. Novelangel

Novelangel Active Contributor

No judgement here. Addictions can come in many forms. I know someone who is addicted to sweets, and my brother, who is an alcoholic, tells me that a sweet addiction can easily lead to an alcohol addiction, so sometimes addictions cross paths with each other. The fact is, none of us are perfect, so as long as we keep trying to avoid addiction we probably will. However, I will add that if you are indulging almost every night, you could be building up a resistance to alcohol, which could lead to you wanting more and more over time. I would try to keep that in mind as the days go by. :)
  12. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

If you take alcohol on a daily basis, that is definitely going to produce bad results on your body. Well, many people are addicted and some people drink alcohol only on occasion and parties. Enjoying it once a weekend with your friend and living an active social life is not at all a problem but as I said, taking it on a daily basis is really bad. So, enjoy but don't become addicted to it.
  13. sclupto

sclupto Member

Alcohol has the ability to really screw up our own self-perception. You may think you are fine, but if people around are saying that you are not, I would be more prone to listen to them. Drinking every day is never a good idea. remember, there is no such thing as increased alcohol tolerance. To the contrary, alcoholics actually have diminished tolerance. Your mind just gets used to being screwed up.
  14. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

As I stated already, it is an unhealthy behavior at this point that can and possibly will turn into a larger problem if you don't slow it down. Buzzed is an imaginary distinction, it is still being drunk whether people want to admit it or not and being drunk nightly is bound to lead to bigger issues to include health problems. It isn't about judgement, it is just a fact that getting drunk nightly is not healthy and often leads to larger problems. Can you get drunk every night and avoid addiction? Maybe, some people are less likely to become addicted than others. Is it worth the risk? Probably not, but it is your life and you have to decide for yourself.
  15. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I think it is totally okay to have a drink and get buzzed because that is the result of drinking and it is not like you are getting black out drunk. There is a difference from having a few social drinks to drinking alone in your car on a Thursday morning.
  16. JohnBeaulieu

Yeah, but the OP was talking about a nightly behavior, and you don't have to get black out drunk for it to be harmful or lead to addiction when it is a daily thing.
  17. dogma

dogma Member

A big yes. Its a problem every alcoholic denies. Over the years, I have come to acknowledge its impact in my work, and in my relationship with my family and partner. The only positive impact it has is with friends, well the drinking buddies I mean. I am aware that even though I do not drink like I used to, its still a problem that I know can be triggered easily. When I drink 1 bottle of beer, I could not stop my self in getting another bottle until I end up drinking a dozen.
  18. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

well, you definitely are a lot more resistant than the others because of your frequent drinking. If drinking at night doesn't disturb your life, I don't' see what's the problem. It's better than drinking until pass out.
  19. JohnBeaulieu

How do you substantiate the claim that they are more resistant? That isn't how it works. Building up an alcohol tolerance doesn't make you more resistant to it's negative effects or to addiction.
  20. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

As a teenager I consider alcohol as something we take for fun, I know that this is the first step on becoming alcoholics but I personally think that it all depends on how responsible and conscious people are, it will obviously become a habit if you drink alcohol like every days, but that is something that should and must not happen, as I said, for me it's something we drink to have fun, have good times with friends and stuff, I know its unhealthy but it all depends how frequently you drink it as well, we all gotta try to be responsible people.