An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is it really a problem?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Hannah, Mar 4, 2016.

1. WannaBfree

WannaBfree Active Contributor

I am not an irresponsible alcoholic, by any means. I don't fall down, bills are paid, I don't get nasty, abusive, blackout, drink and drive. "Functioning" alcoholic (funny term) is what most would term it. Is that a problem? Yes, because I change once a day into a different person and my kids just want their mother to be her normal self. I detach emotionally, and sometimes isolate. Drinking daily affects the family somehow. THAT is a problem, and that is why I am embarking on sobriety once again. This is Day 4.
  2. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I hope @Hanah has been reading the replies to this topic. it would be nice to at least see a check in or something.
  3. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

Right now it doesn't seem to be affecting your life too much but this can spiral into something big so it would be wise if you controlled yourself a little bit since you can. You might get addicted and might start showing severe side effects if you don't drink.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

But if your actions are affecting the family, and if your behaviour is changing, that you're right, that IS a problem and you need to to take control like you are doing.

That us a different scenario than what I was meaning though. What I was saying is if a person doesn't have a change in behaviour and they have a glass of beer every night to wind down before they go to bed, that's not a problem in my eyes because its not affecting anybody.
    WannaBfree likes this.
  5. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Having a drink in moderation is fine. Though once it gets to the point where it creates problems with friends, family, and work, then you might have something to worry about. Alcohol cam be damaging to the body when drank in excess.
  6. tackykardia

tackykardia Member

It's not a problem if you're not overdoing it. It's okay for a woman to have like a drink a day or a man to have like 2 drinks a day. It's when you drink a lot daily or binge drink that it becomes a problem. Overdoing it can cause health issues whether or not you are fall down drunk or not. Just be careful. Moderation is the key. I'm not condoning drinking every day though. I know it can lead to a problem or possibly be an addiction. But I did read that a drink a day was no big deal. It's just when you go over the limit.
  7. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

It all depends on your situation and what you can handle and your own physical relation to the substance. I was not a fall down drunk either, and I seemed to be in control, but sure enough a couple years later I realized that I could not go without the drink. That was where it hit me, so you can never be too sure. It is not always the crazy drunk that has the problem.
  8. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

If you drink daily and get buzzed (buzzed=drunk no exceptions) you have a problem.
  9. Dilof

Dilof Member

Well, in the UK there's a drinking culture that isn't really to go out and drink with your friends for a good night out. It's more going out to drink with your friend in order to get scarily drunk. Obviously things in moderation are ok, but when you go out with the mindset that you're 100% going to get drunk tonight, then it becomes a problem. What exactly is going to stop you after you've started this mindset, and party-goers do this so much.

This kind of behaviour is what leads to addicts and eventually the inevitable alcohol poisoning victims. You'll tend to see whenever you ask people where their alcohol addiction started and how it started, they'll point to something like peer pressure.
  10. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

If yоu’rе drinking оn а rеgulаr bаsis, thеn thе аmоunt оf аlсоhоl yоu nееd tо gеt thе sаmе сliсk оr buzz grаduаlly gоеs up
  11. WannaBfree

WannaBfree Active Contributor

Yeah I guess I thought you were referring to getting intoxicated on a daily basis. One beer a day certainly wouldn't pose a problem.
    pwarbi likes this.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Obviously if your drinking to the extreme then that's totally different situation of course.

With me, a couple of drinks after work turned into more and more, but a lot of people it stays at just that. A glass of wine before bed, or 1 pint on your way home with work colleagues and that's how it stays.