An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is It Really An Addiction ?....

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Winterybella, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I have someone in my life who is like a son to me. Recently he has been walking a path which I believe in my heart might be a dangerous one, but I don't want to overreact.

He's into smoking weed and seems quite comfortable using. I have been telling him to quit the habit but he insist he's not addicted to smoking and that it's just a phase. I worry that he might become addicted and often ask myself at what stage is it considered an addiction.

I know that marijuana plays a big part in today's generation and I know only too well that it's being embraced the world over. Should I just leave it alone and trust that at 25 he knows what he's doing? I get confuse at times.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  2. MissManda

MissManda Member

In my opinion, if he is 25, I don't believe it is doing him any harm if he is only using it for pleasure. I used to smoke a lot of weed when I was in my early 20s, and decided to drop the habit and move on with my life. I had no problems quitting it and I found I went through very small withdrawals that lasted maybe a month. The only downside I found to it personally was that it left me feeling very tired most of the time.
    Most of the people I used to smoke weed with have also stopped doing it, people tend to grow out of it. If he were younger, like in his teens, then I would for sure be more concerned as they are not fully developed at that age and marijuana can have more of a negative impact than on someone who is 25.
    Just curious, how long has he been smoking it? Is it something very recent or have you just recently found out about it?
  3. Winterybella

MissManda, I honestly can't say I know exactly how long he has been smoking but I know as he has grown older he has become much more open about it.There was a time he actually lived with me and I never thought he was involved then.

My son who refers to him as "his brother from another mother" insist that it's when he left living with us that he got into smoking in a serious way. He comes from an area where marijuana smoking is quite common place and easily accessible so we know that's one of the reasons he might have found it difficult to resist the temptation.

He works with me and I have seen some changes in his work ethic. While he has some physical limitations outside of any marijuana use, he appears to be always tired and distracted.

All the while he insist he is fine and can stop at anytime. Needless to say marijuana use is illegal in my country.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think you can be the best judge of character since you know him best. If he is the type who has a good head on his shoulders then no amount of marijuana will ruin that. If it were me I would just give a warning of not taking it too far and moving onto stronger substances. Experimentation is fine but some minds are predisposed to over enjoyment and over dependency on substances but as long as the person doesn't feel hopeless and knows that he has something to live for then I think he will most likely be able to handle his recreational pursuits.

Marijuana smoking, to me, is not much different from drinking alcohol and both have to be respected as it can be taken casually and it can be abused, so it is up to us to keep ourselves and the people around us aware enough so as not to be too careless.
  5. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

I think that being responsible is about saying no to drugs of any kind. It can be addictive and the problem is that when the effect of weed is no longer good enough, the user moves on to other things. Talk to him and let him know that it is a dangerous path and before he gets in too deep he should move away from it. Dont ignore it because if you can say yes to smoing weed then you can continue to do it until someone asks you to try something else.
  6. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

If he easily tires and gets distracted, then it is not a good sign anymore. There may be other reasons for that but smoking marijuana makes one sleepy after an "up" moment. Is is something like that? And based on what I've heard and read, smoking just one joint can be likened to 5 cigarettes. So it is not good at all. Short and long-term effects are evident and those bring about major health problems. Is he aware of these? If not, you can inform him about it.

If he is saying he could quit anytime, why can he not do it now?
  7. kariad28

kariad28 Member

Addiction is everywhere no matter where you look it's always there. People have to fight for their life because your life can easily be took from drugs. I seen 14 years olds in my hometown on crack coca in so I know that some kids even get convinced over easy. So to all the partners learn your kids early in time about drugs so they know all about it.
  8. Winterybella

9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It's OK to be concerned but at times that's the most you can. Drug addicts will often say they are not addicted and whilst they live in denial no advice will be taken [seriously] because they believe they are in control of the situation [when in fact, they are not]. My advice would be to take a step back and wait for your "son" to admit that they have a problem. That would be the appropriate time to step in [to help].
  10. MissManda

MissManda Member

You may want to talk to him about the changes in his work ethic, if he is passionate about his job and working with you is something he enjoys, then you pointing out to him what you have noticed may help him see things in a different light.
    If you are someone who he respects and looks up to, he may be more interested in taking your advice.
  11. Winterybella

You raised an interesting point about respect and looking up to me. I read somewhere that sometimes you have to stop being a "child's friend" and be a parent. Sometimes our interaction is such that you would think we are pals which I know is part of the reason he eventually came "clean" with me.

He will often say that he has the greatest respect for me but I have to confess I question how deep it is. The way he speaks to me and opens up he never does with my husband. I am the "cool mom" and sometimes I worry that he doesn't take me seriously enough.
  12. Sonjapunk

Sonjapunk Member

In my experience, the only tip I can give you is to wait. Yeah, wait, and if you notice a change on his behavior (a negative one, of course) you may begin to question, "Is he really addicted?", "What can I do to help him?". Since marijuana is a lower grade drug than others, like cocaine, heroin, etc., it is quite harder to become addicted to it(notice, harder, not impossible). But then again, if he has access to marijuana, he may also have access to other types of drugs. Either way, he's 25, you can't change his thoughts, you can guide him and try to advice him, but it is up to him to drop the habit.
    If you really want him to stop doing it, or you notice he is addicted to the plant, here's a link to a site which, I believe, may be of some help: http://www.narconon.org/drug-rehab/help-someone-stop-weed.html
  13. Winterybella

Sonjapunk, I thank you and found what I read in the link you suggested very thought provoking. When I am more alert I will read it thoroughly. On the one hand I want to leave it alone and wait and then there is the other part of me that wants to fix it right now. Sadly, I know it doesn't work like that.

He might be twenty five but he looks like fifteen and sometimes behaves like fifteen. The up side to this is that he's constantly around so I get to monitor and interact with him daily.

I have other blood relatives who are much more addicted than he is and have had to face the law. I mentioned them in another thread. Sometimes I feel like there is not enough of me to go around to help everybody.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  14. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Active Contributor

At 25 he should know the risks involved in smoking weed. I don't put one drug over the other, but I have personally seen more harm done by alcohol then from weed. Again at 25 there isn't much you can do to stop him, just keep an eye on him. Weed smoking can lead to other more dangerous drugs.
  15. CpXi7z1

CpXi7z1 Member

My brother has a head injury and other trauma that causes constant pain. He says smoking pot slows his racing thoughts but does nothing for his pain. It does put him in a better mood which is a blessing. It seems like people with addictive behaviors do not see it or convince themselves they do not have a problem, but the people who care about them see a problem.
  16. JessiFox

JessiFox Active Contributor

This is a touchy subject for me, despite what the majority of people seem to insist on the subject, I definitely think that you can become addicted to weed. It can be a slippery slope for some people...and cliche as it may be, it can lead them to the types of people and activities and lifestyles that encourage other drug use. I guess all you can do at this point is trust his judgement and hope that he's right, but I would definitely keep an eye on the situation and try and encourage him to "grow out of it" sooner rather than later if possible.
  17. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I think you should trust your instincts and use all means necessary to make him stop.Smoking weed isn't fun and the sooner he stops the better.The consequences are worth not ignoring and even though he's 25,he's treading on a very dangerous path and you need to intervene.
    JessiFox likes this.
  18. Winterybella

Thanks Jeremy2 and JessiFox. In my country marijuana use is illegal and if only for that reason I feel he needs to stop. When I joined this forum I read a story of a youngster who ended up on a very danger course with very hard drugs having STARTED with marijuana.

Some here still seem to think it is harmless and he will grow out of it. I hope he does, but what happens if he doesn't and he decides to experiment with harder stuff. That concerns me.
    JessiFox likes this.
  19. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

Being that you have known him for an extended period, you should take keen notice of any change is mood or his behaviour towards his surrounding. An addict will be the last person to note their addiction, that is why in most instances it's other people who get help for them. Marijuana can be as harmful as any other drug, regardless of it's health benefits so try to encourage him to stop as even if he is not yet addicted ,the possibilities are high.
  20. JessiFox

JessiFox Active Contributor

Well yes, all other arguments aside it's not great that he's getting into illegal activity. I understand your concern, things like that are rarely harmless in the long run...even if the worst that happens is that he makes some poor choices and doesn't live up to his potential for a bit, it's still a shame for a substance to lead to that.
    Winterybella likes this.