An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is It Really An Addiction ?....

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Winterybella, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

There is side of you that wants to step back and wait and see how things turn out. Yet there is another side that wants to try to correct a situation here and now.

His mom often laments that she is not happy with the direction his life is going in and prays he'll stay far from the weed and the guys who may encourage it.

All the while he's saying he's fine and in a position to stop smoking anytime.
  2. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

I honestly can't say. You're his best judge of character. He's 25 and an adult, so he should be aware of the consequences. It can be used for recreational purposes, but it's also common to get addicted to it. From what you said, if marijuana is illegal, I would definitely tell him to cut back on it. It's not worth getting your record tarnished for a high. If he can't do so, then I think maybe he should seek help.
  3. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

Sometimes, even a 25-year old person is not old enough to decide things on his own. He might be lost. There are people who are called "late bloomers". You need to guide him as much as you can.
  4. Winterybella

I couldn't agree with your more. Age is one thing but your level of maturity is another. Only recently I was telling him he needs to grow up and stop with some of his childish ways and this was outside of his marijuana use.

I worry that if he can't make mature decisions when dealing with relationships, how is going to make the right decisions about his marijuana use? I can only continue to talk with him, careful not to push him away.
  5. jbepp

jbepp Active Contributor

Weed it's not that dangerous when used in moderation. I'm not so sure about the phase thing, but I'd be careful with things like that. Just when you think you have everything under control is when the worst things happen.
  6. LostmySis

LostmySis Senior Contributor

usually by the time someone wonders if it is a problem.. there is already a problem. So here is a question: If he needed to get a new job, and therefore a drug test, would he stop?

I have a relative who sticks to menial jobs that will not test for drugs. I have offered him several chances to get jobs paying double what he is making, but he refuses to stop smoking the weed for a couple months to pass the test. THIS is addiction as it is seriously affecting his lifestyle.
  7. Winterybella

I am fresh out of talking to my "son" and he's quick to point out that he can't be addicted and coming to work and going a whole day at work without smoking. He goes on to tell me about a chain smoker who works close by and has to go outside every few hours for his smoke.

What if he really isn't addicted? What if he's just experimenting? I still say stay away. It's illegal here and you can easily face the courts. Why take that chance for a high as someone suggested earlier?
  8. bourge_21

Don'
    Don't push yourself on that matter. As long as you believe you've done your best to help him, that's the finest line. Beyond that is beyond your abilities, only him could decide. Let him be.
  9. bourge_21

Then it would be best to send him to a rehabilitation center. A new job does not necessarily stop a person from hitting drugs. Not at all if there's no will, nor the decision to move pass the vice.
  10. Winterybella

I thought I would revisit some of my original post and came upon this thread I had started. My 'son' is still working with me and he seems to be doing "okay" in the sense that he insist he's not smoking daily and that he is not an addict. Even though I believe he isn't I still worry about him as it's illegal in my country. I keep hoping no harm will come to him.
  11. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

Weed CAN be an addiction. It has an 8 percent chance of creating an addiction within a person. That means out of 100 individuals, 8 will become addicted. It is possible that he is addicted although the chances are quite low.
  12. norms options

norms options Active Contributor

In my opinion, the only real danger with smoking pot is that it can act as a gateway drug. The fact that it is so easy to get and that the effects are fairly mild combined with an easy withdraw period can make pot smokers become daily users fairly easily. This is not really that bad inherently as long as the user is old enough to have mostly developed their brain before they started using, but the real danger is that it can make trying other, more damaging drugs, seem like a good idea after a long period of using pot regularly.

As far as just using marijuana, though, it is far less damaging than most consumables that you can buy either legally or illegally. In fact, it is contended that eating most junk foods these days could even be worse for you than smoking pot, so I would not worry too much about this phase that he is going through. I would just try to encourage him to live an overall healthy lifestyle, and if that includes smoking pot for a while, it would be fine, as long as it did not escalate to other drugs and he is not combining it with alcohol.
  13. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well most people don't view smoking weed or marijuana as an addiction but you can be addicted to any drug regardless of the benefits of said drug. Smoking causes lung cancer regardless of what is being smoked and so that person should consider cutting back at the very least.
  14. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Some people just need to make their own mistakes and learn from them. You can only tell someone so much before they completely shut you out. Is his immediately family involved in the situation? I would think that they would have a stronger influence.
  15. JRyan1909

JRyan1909 Member

I would say watch him closely and pay attention to how it begins affecting his life. First of all, is it legal in your area? If it isn't, then he really ought to reconsider. Fair or not, deserved or not, the courts still throw the book at people over this stuff in most of the Westernized world. If it is legal, or he's doing it in a legal way (like using medical marijuana), it really will come down to the impact the substance is having on his life. I mean, that's just my personal opinion, of course. Also my personal opinion: marijuana is actually fairly addictive. Some people don't do well with it, like for instance folks with mental health issues. To be perfectly honest, doing any substance, no matter how legal and accepted it is, is always going to be something of a Russian roulette.
  16. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

25 years is probably the safest age to smoke weed so I'd say don't worry much but just wait until he realizes the bad effects and help him get sober...
  17. norms options

norms options Active Contributor

I'm not completely disagreeing with you here, but I would like to point out that there a so many chemicals in processed foods that also cause all different types of cancer, as well as diabetes, obesity, and heart disease. You are right to say that smoking anything can cause lung cancer, but the chances from smoking cigarettes are much greater than from smoking marijuana. I am not advocating smoking marijuana, but in response to the original post, I am saying that it seems like there is not a lot to worry about in this situation.
  18. MrAmazingMan1

MrAmazingMan1 Active Contributor

It's perfectly fine to want to help him, especially with the close relationship you have with him. First you need to understand if it is an addiction or not. Take notes on mood and frequency he smokes. Once identified approach him and offer help. Rehab or other methods, it's up to you.
  19. gr8hoops21

gr8hoops21 Member

I know that Marijuana is an illegal activity, but I personally do not believe that it is that bad. Yes you see all those pictures of peoples brains that are decaying like crazy, but those are people who smoke like 5 blunts a day (maybe I exaggerated a little bit). But I do not think that it is as terrible for you as people say. I definitely think that smoking cigarettes is much worse for you. If anything, they should make cigarettes illegal and make marijuana legal. The only reason that it is so backwards is because when cigarettes first came out, the government was making so much money off it that it would be stupid for them to make them illegal because they would lose a ton of money. I believe that marijuana is headed the same direction as cigarettes and that it will be legal all over soon because of the amount of profit it makes. If this is the case though, do hard drugs eventually become legal too? Where is the line drawn?
  20. JRyan1909

JRyan1909 Member

Yeah, I think this is true. I would also say that in my experience, alcohol is far more destructive than cannabis can be. I drank quite a bit when I was younger, but now that I'm in my thirties, it's getting harder and harder to enjoy liquor, and I pretty much just avoid it nowadays, lol. Pot was always, always the thing I could never get enough of, and for me personally, it had a steep downside I'm not sure most other people experience. Which is why I say to watch someone you're worried about in regards to weed. It may not be a problem for them, but than again, it just might.