An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is It Really An Addiction ?....

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Winterybella, Nov 27, 2014.

1. harold

harold Community Champion

The general altitude smokers and addicts demonstrate is similar to his altitude. They generally believe that they can handle the smoking until the addiction overshadows them. I know that you cannot do much if he does not listen to your advice, but the general tendency here is that he is going to end up as an addict, if he is not yet one. I can only advice you to let him see the consequences and negative effects of what he is doing. Once in a while, talk about it. Do not insist on it to the extent where it sounds like you are nagging. Speak softly, but use strong words. Let him know that he is eventually going to become an addict if he does not stop now. I hope he listens to you.
  2. nwalker85

nwalker85 Member

You don't become physically addicted to it, but you certainly become mentally addicted. The stuff messes with your dopamine levels, and you eventually stop producing dopamine with mundane stimuli. My best advice, pot is for enhancing life, life isn't about pot.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think it is just normal that you get worried since you said that he is like a son to you already. Better if he is really not addicted to it or will not be addicted to it. He is old enough to be responsible of his actions.
  4. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

You need to take action and help him with his addiction to marijuana. It might not be an addiction as of now, but it can definitely escalate into one! If you get him off of marijuana, you will do wonders for his state of health. He will definitely appreciate that you did that for him later down the line. You do not want to lose your friend to marijuana! Trust me, no life is worth losing over an addiction.
  5. Leon25

Leon25 Member

Most people in the age of 18-25 have become comfortable with smoking and using marijuana for their entertainment. The fact that it is being accepted the world over by countries to be a legal drug has helped market the drug. Smoking and the use of marijuana can be addictive because it is considered drug.

Your friend who you consider to be your son seems to be addicted to marijuana at the moment but he is in a stage of denial. I would suggest that you explain to him slowly how addiction works. The fact he started from smoking once in a month to two twice a month then to the continuous weekly abuse of the drug. Try and get to know what drives him to smoke in order to get high. Is the drug a solace because of school, work or family issues. When you are able to find the route of the problem he is going through then can you offer him help. Do not pressure him to reveal his problem because that will push him further away from you. Hope I was helpful and wish you best of luck with you and your friend.
  6. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

It really depends on the person and the situation he is in. He could be addicted to it, the only ones to know for sure are the people that know him well and I suppose you do. Just observe how often and how much he smokes.
  7. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

It definitely can be an addiction. It's a drug just like any other drug. And when I used to smoke, I always felt like I needed to have it in order to socialize and get things done. So yes it was an addiction or me. It is whether people want to admit it or not, or whether they realize it or not.
  8. mike4985

mike4985 Member

It all depends on how you look at it, people look at pot as a gateway drug into much much worse. I think that's completely exaggerated. If you say oh well that meth addict must have started with weed, well one could also say meth addicts started by drinking milk. Marijuana, becoming as accepted as it is, is no different than alcohol in the sense that like any controlled substance factors such as maturity, influence, and addictive tendencies make substance use different for everyone. The extent of that use is ALWAYS up to the user. I've been smoking bud for as long as I could spark a lighter, and no, unless he lets it run his life it should pose no threat. The one excuse my parents had against me smoking was "your brain is developing", so again if he's also over the age of I'd say 20 or so that shouldn't be a problem. As long as he stays away from selling, in the rapidly changing world we live in it's going to be legal soon anyways, so recreational use should prove no problems.
    Best of luck,
    Mike
  9. Mrooh

Mrooh Member

I know/knew some people who like to smoke weed, some of them are growing their own, judging by the way they talk, they can leave it whenever they want, so in my opinion, it's not addictive when it's done for fun, but it becomes hard to leave when you're in a deppressant state, for example.
  10. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I don't know if you can to anything in order to help him. Maybe he tells the truth, maybe he isn't addicted at all, but from what I know, marijuana is illegal in most countries and he may have problems with the Law for using it.

Other than this, some people smoke weed in a recreational manner and don't get addicted to it. Better leave him alone and hope his "phase" will pass away.
  11. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

The simplest way to judge whether something's an addiction is to see whether he'll give it up. If he won't or doesn't, it's an addiction, no matter how hard he protests that he could give it up at any time. Of course he could. That's not the question. The question is whether he WILL. Addiction is in the mind.
  12. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

I smoked marijuana for 10 years. Within that time period I consumed a large amount of marijuana and was a daily smoker. I am a very goal oriented person but marijuana tended to make me lazy and lack focus. I quit when I become pregnant with my son. While I didn't need a rehab facility or counseling of any sort to quit I was very irritable for almost two months and had a diminished appetite.
    While I don't necessarily think marijuana is addictive, I was able to just stop, there are definitely symptoms of withdrawal and they last for awhile. Since I have quit I have a lot more money, I never realized how expensive the habit was, and my energy is back to normal, or the way it was before I started abusing. While marijuana does make you relax I wouldn't recommend it to any, especially if they are an active person and need to constantly be on the go.
  13. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Marijuana can have different effects on different people as some people I know who smoke it have shown to have more strength or, they do get to feel more excitement at times and it will work for some people and be aware in their life. I think that it is a drug which can influence someone and also the person can use it for a medical problem like back pain or seizures, which can be reduced and help the person have a better life and enjoy their life. I know someone who lost a lot in their life and was in the wrong crowd, which did cause him to do criminal things to support this habit.
  14. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Winterybella: Glad to hear your son is doing better now. as mentioned before in this thread, 25 is the safest age to smoke weed and I don't think it'll impact his life that much as long as he doesn't go to harder drugs.
  15. henry

henry Community Champion

If he smokes every day, I'd say he's probably addicted. As I've said before, I think that anything you just have to do every day without anyone making you do it, it's an addiction. But I'll be honest, I don't think there's any REAL danger if he sticks to weed. The real danger is, he might start wanting to try stronger things. Remember when we were young and tried our first beer? It wasn't too long after that when we started trying whiskey.
  16. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think it's probably just a recreational thing for him because he's already 25 and nothing has happened to him yet because of it. If anyone is addicted to something, you will see it because it will show in their behavior, appearance, and their routine, if it's not normal anymore. So I think unless that happens, then you should have nothing to worry about.
  17. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Great info, thx for sharing. I haven't met any long time pot smoker, but on the internet I've heard people have quit without serious troubles. you did a good thing to quit when you had a baby, it could have impacted your child in a bad way. you're a great mother I give you that.
    dechantajones likes this.
  18. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I don't think you're being paranoid, I believe you're just concerned about him. Anyway, as early as possible, you should really tell him about the dangers of taking marijuana, and encourage him to stop already. It may be just a phase for him, but we all know that even a simple habit could drastically turn into an addiction overtime.