An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is it really true that some amount of Marijuana intake is beneficial to health?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by 003, Jan 30, 2015.

1. 003

003 Community Champion

As we all know, there's this ongoing legalization of marijuana in some states of the United States while it remains to be an ongoing debate for some countries throughout the world. If it were really bad to our healthy, then why is there such a commotion? I think if it offers great benefits that others wouldn't be able to provide, then I think that there should really be a call to legalize it, but at the same control its used like other medicinal herbs and medicines.
  2. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think the misconception here is that the substance is banned purely for the well being of the public, which I think is false. If anything I'd assume that it were decided on mostly for financial reasons and politicians' personal agendas rather than public interest, as is the case with most laws that pass, especially ones that are rooted in the past when people were less able to communicate and diversify their perspective which as we can now see mostly leads to healthy skepticism.
    jperd21 likes this.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not live in the US and in here, marijuana is illegal. I think it was right to be illegal here since even it is illegal here, there are some teenagers who have been caught using and selling it which is alarming as they are already considered addicts. Maybe it is not really bad as some see it but it can really be addicting and being addicted to it could cause bad effects like doing crimes.
  4. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

This entirely. They don't ban it because of public welfare, but they may use it as a pretense to do so. I just don't think they want to deal with the taxation and distribution on a large scale as it takes too much time and they have other agendas, some of which may yet still be hidden from the public eye.

I don't believe it's beneficial to your health but I don't feel it negatively impacts it either unless you smoke huge amounts on a daily basis. If your a recreational user, I don't think it's a healthy project to smoke pot but it certainly won't kill you in small doses, nor damage your brain.
  5. jperd21

jperd21 Active Contributor

Many people aren't aware of this, but the cannabinoids in marijuana are a superfood. Those lovely chemicals called antioxidants that make pomegranates so beneficial? Marijuana has more than 10x the amount in many cases. I'm not talking getting high on it either. I'm talking fresh greens in a salad. A Caesar salad with marijuana and spinach. THC has to bind to a fat or alcohol with heat to activate. So eating It fresh won't get you high. But It may be very good for you.

http://www.leafscience.com/2014/07/18/5-reasons-juice-cannabis/
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Not trying to start a fight, but I want to debate your points. If it is illegal and teenagers are being treated like criminals, then why do you think the law is working and shouldn't be changed or at least looked into? Also, I think the thought that marijuana is the cause for the teenagers doing crime is a fallacy. It's much more likely that they already have behavioral problems to begin with, as not everyone who takes any substance who does crime does not automatically mean that those substances are the source of the crime. It would be like saying that McDonalds is responsible for their crimes because they ate a cheeseburger from there before they did the act.
  7. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

Marijuana is illegal in my state in the United States, though I wish that it would at least become medically legal for those who could seriously benefit from it. I will admit that I have smoked weed a couple of times, and as a chronic illness patient I have basically been able to tolerate the amount of pain and discomfort that I am in when I am smoking weed.
  8. Jimmy Loc

Jimmy Loc Member

I myself am a medical marijuana patient here in San Diego, and from experience and research am a firm believer in its medical use. Its properties have helped miraculously, if not easing pain then saving lives for many. However, the forms of consumption vary and the question on marijuana intake being beneficial becomes arguable. For example, smoking marijuana is not really beneficial to the respiratory system per say, however ingesting marijuana lets say orally with T.H.C. pills orally alleviates pain and stabilizes the mental conditions of patients.

To say that some amount of marijuana intake is beneficial to health is understandable if the form of intake does not cause harm. Seeing that health is a matter of the physical and mental health aspects of ones well-being and evidence shows marijuana can help both it is true that some amount is beneficial to health. In my case medical marijuana has helped my mental condition, which was major depressive disorder.
  9. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Research shows that consuming marijuana can potentially be beneficial to the health and can be used to combat various illnesses. THC and cannibinoids have been shown to be capable of reversing brain damage caused by alcohol consumption and killing cancer cells. However, consuming it by smoking it is bad for your health. As soon you light up, it causes a chemical reaction in the THC.