An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is it right to send your kid to buy you a packet of cigarettes?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by stagsonline, Jan 20, 2015.

1. stagsonline

stagsonline Active Contributor

I have seen this happen numerous time. A dad comes home and because he forgot to buy a packet of cigarettes, he sends his own kids. These kids may be of varying ages. My concern is the image this creates to a child. In most cases I have seen those same kids ending up smoking either secretly or openly. Should parents be sending their own kids to buy cigarettes for them or even alcohol?
  2. LostmySis

LostmySis Senior Contributor

First, since it is against the law for someone under 18 to buy cigarettes, the question of morality is moot as it is a criminal action. The same with alcohol which is 21 yrs. I would imagine contributing to a delinquency of a minor or endangerment is just the tip of the iceberg, not to mention the stores that would be sited for violations.

But.. putting that aside, I used to go to the store to get cigarettes for my dad, and I never smoked. I used to do it to keep the change! LOL I think some personalities are just prone to the use of substances and others are not. So if you are not prone to it, regardless of how much influence you have endured, you will not partake. That is my experience at least.
    Winterybella likes this.
  3. juno

juno Community Champion

How can that ever be right? You are essentially telling them it is ok to smoke and letting them hold it in their hands. In the US you have to be 18 to buy cigarettes, so if you sent a child under 18 years old to make this purchase for you, it would be illegal to sell to them.

I understand that if someone has the will to not be influenced they wont be. However, if you send a child who is not educated on the consequences of smoking and they look up to their parent and think that what mom or dad does is cool, then they most likely will take on the habbit.
  4. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I feel strongly about this topic. I find it very irresponsible of parents who send their kids to buy them cigarettes or/and alcohol. I don't think that it is right or fair for any child to be subjected and exposed to such a lifestyle at all. It will just play on the child's curiosity and in most cases the children end up trying out those very substances and getting addicted to them. I just feel that as an adult and parent, if you must smoke and drink, get the stuff yourself and stop sending your children. Period!
  5. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

In fiji it is not against the law for under age people to buy it, and even now parents still do it don't think of the consequences that could happen due to it. I think adults need to stop that, and not let kids think it is ok that is the first step to trying it out and leads to them stealing it or smoking themselves. It is the adults responsibility to get it themselves, could lose their children to child protection this way and won''t get their kids back.
  6. LostmySis

LostmySis Senior Contributor

In South Pacific countries, cigarettes are so accessible to children, they are sold individually like candy. I saw a great documentary about this on Vanguard. The American tobacco companies are not allowed to market to kids here, so they do it everyplace else in the world that will allow it. Personally, I think these companies should be held liable for their advertising. I don't remember the concert, but there was a huge concert in Indonesia that was sponsored by Marlboro.Make me sick.
  7. joe

joe Active Contributor

Sending children in anyway to bring cigarettes or alcohol would really encourage the kids to involve in drugs. Child look to their parents as heroes. With their curiosity, they will tend to do same thing their parents are doing. When they are a lone they may take them to quench the curiosity.
  8. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdvice Active Contributor

Wow, I'm glad you posted this, because this practice has always stood at the forefront of my mind as one of the most irresponsible things that a parent or any adult or person overall, could do!
    "Children learn what they live, and children live what they learn" the adage made popular by writer and family counselor, Dorothy Law Nolte, doesn't seem to resound as much in the minds of parents who encourage their children to go and purchase cigarettes and the like on their behalf, or at least they don't appear to show it if they do care.
    Even if a child who is subject to being sent to the store to buy cigarettes or alcohol for their parents doesn't necessarily develop an addiction to or even an interest in these substances, they are exposed at such an early age, and it is more likely that later in life, they will show signs of wanting to experiment with the very goods they were taught to purchase and handle.
    We really need to appreciate that our children are just developing their ability to perceive what is right and wrong, what is healthy and what is harmful to the body, and if we allow them to directly participate in our harmful habits, we're more or less teaching them that these things are "okay", and we know that we would never want them to suffer the adverse health effects that are associated with overconsumption of such substances.
    We need to take greater care, before it's too late.
  9. stagsonline

stagsonline Active Contributor

Any home that has responsible parents should not tolerate this in any way. If one parent is used to this often, say a dad, what is the other partner doing about it? Even with regulations set in every state, I still see it happen. Kids that are exposed to this type of behavior are definitely going to have an urge to try out on their own at some point.
  10. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I think the problem here is lack of the right legal framework or the right legislation to tackle this problem.No kid should be allowed to purchase any form of drug over the counter under any circumstances. This could very well be a form of child abuse since the child is being used to do something illegitimate.
  11. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

That is a really good point you are bringing up here. As a kid I was often sent to buy cigarettes and alcohol for my parents, and I always felt embarrassed pushing my bike down the street with a case of beer on the back. One wintry day I slipped on ice and all the bottles smashed on the ground. I'll never forget the beating that I received on that day.
    As for cigarettes, I could hide them in my bag. But there came the day when I had to try one...
  12. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

My grandfather is actually the one who would send me to get him some cigarettes. My dad used to smoke as well but I do not remember him sending me or any of my siblings to the shop for cigarettes. At one point in my life, I drank a lot. This was an unrelated case to this because it was actually my ex boyfriend who introduced me into the drinking world.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Sad to say, it is a common thing here for parents to let their kids buy them a cigarette or even alcohol since a retail store is very common here, just in every street. Worst is that sellers are allowing those kids to buy those stuffs from them.
  14. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I don't think that it's right at all, but that doesn't mean that it's not something that is common. I think it really speaks to how much bad parenting goes on in the world to be honest. I think if an adult wants cigarettes or alcohol they need to get it themselves.
  15. ryan0039

ryan0039 Active Contributor

If they're adults I suppose it's alright but sending kids to get them is just flat out illegal. I think that's completely unacceptable as well as sending a horrible image to their kids. I think that parents need to just stop those habits completely around their kids, much less involve their kids in them.
  16. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Quite an interesting subject. I think the consensus is that it really should not happen, yet we know it does. Sometimes the things we parents do that seem so harmless can end up as the most harmful things ever.

Fortunately some of the kids end up much smarter than us parent and learn what NOT to do themselves and their children.
  17. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't think it's alright. For parents who smoke, I think they should try as much as possible to quit or at the very least discourage it among their kids and sending them out to buy it might not be the best way to do so since it makes the whole thing seem a lot more casual. In those situations, I'd much rather the parents just go out and buy it themselves and smoke it privately or just put it off until the next day.
  18. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Well kids can't buy cigarette they have to be 18. So I see no problem with it. I use to go in a get them for adults as a kid many years ago. Things have changed seen then so I guess its just a persons choice.
  19. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I never even thought of that limit but it's probably because here some sellers are more lenient especially when it comes to small towns where the sellers know the kids and their parents which is why it wouldn't seem odd for the kids to be sent out to buy for them. For places that are able to enforce it more, it should be a good enough barrier but I think the parents still shouldn't even try.
  20. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I don't think it's a good idea to send kids for cigarettes or anything, but they can't even do so in a lot of places. They have to be of age.

As for "a form of child abuse," I'd really hate to see any kid end up in state "care" due to this. Too many times kids end up in worse situations than the ones they've been taken from.