An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is laser therapy a viable option?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by bretthuda33, Feb 11, 2016.

1. bretthuda33

bretthuda33 Active Contributor

I was at the gas station one day and a man say me buying some cans of chew. He ended buying some also and stopped and asked me if I had ever heard of this. Apparently it has helped thousands of people and takes less than an hour to go through the process. Especially for people struggling financially, is this something to look into?
  2. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I've never heard of this before. How can laser therapy help someone going thru financial problems? Do you have any more information about this? Is any of this related to substance abuse?
  3. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

Oh! I think bretthuda33 is referring to the type of tobacco that is chewed. The term "chew" is probably the slang word for it. If this is what he is referring to then yes, I have heard about it before. It's not something I would like to try though. Chewing tobacco is a lot cheaper than buying cigarettes but in some ways is a lot more harmful when it comes to it's effects in the mouth and throat.
  4. bretthuda33

Sorry misunderstanding, haha. I wasn't asking about chewing tobacco but if laser therapy was actually a viable option to quitting nicotine. People don't usually come out and just say things like that so it struck me a little bit but maybe he was just very desperate. I doubt it would change your habits around but I don't know anyone who has gone through this. YES chewing tobacco is probably worse than cigarettes!
  5. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

Never heard of this type of procedure. I think the only way to quit is to just do it. Maybe some hypnotize strategies may work..I'm not sure..all I know is the old fashioned way...to just stop the same way you started. The hard part is quitting for good...this takes a bunch of will power and strength.
    bretthuda33 likes this.
  6. bretthuda33

I like the way you put that Nancy. Stop the same way you started. It is good to realize this as when something is started, it inevitably has to stop as they imply each other. It would also stand to reason that it would be good to let go of trying to quit, as a result of that is the determination and will power. It all comes down to perspective but maybe there are many who can be tricked into thinking the evolution of technology can save them!
  7. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I have a friend that quit smoking this way, him and some friends of his decided to go to a clinic to have it done. After listening to some advice from the doctor the procedure was done. They all agreed that they would never smoke again and the one that did would have to pay something I don't remember quit what.
    It's been about a year now and none of them smoked again. He did confess that he doesn't know if he quit smoking because of the laser therapy or pride. The thing is he didn't get any pangs from not smoking but the psychological effect was a bit more difficult to get over.
  8. bretthuda33

Wish I had a story like that Joe! Whatever works is solid in my book. I wouldn't be surprised if the procedure is actually something that makes quitting easier by reducing physical withdrawals. And as always, it's better to do in a group setting where people can voice their feelings or just suck it up cause they are prideful, haha. Thanks for sharing!
  9. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I never heard of laser therapy as a method of quitting smoking, but I think anything that works is one of the things tha most smokers are looking for. I am going to have to do some research on this because it is a good thing that can be used and if it wasn't too expensive, I could see alot of smokers using something like this to quit smoking. It sounds really great.
  10. Joethefirst

I agree, there is no right or wrong way to quit just as long as you quit.
  11. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I know that accupuncture can be a therapy with substance abuse withdrawal, and is a treatment that is pretty widely used, especially in treatment centers where natural treatment is emphasized, but laser must be pretty new on the scene. Maybe it works like accupunture does to kind of target the pain sensors and offer relief. I am not sure.
  12. Joethefirst

It's basically the same thing the only difference is that instead of using needles they use a lasers.