An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is laughter a natural result of smoking up?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Hiraeth, May 5, 2015.

1. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Active Contributor

I have seen people smoke up weed and go into dazed zones and worlds of their own. I know things slow down and you enter your own space with your own thoughts, good or bad.

But there is someone very close to me who goes into almost hysterical laughter every time he smokes up. This isn't the happy or peaceful laugh that apparently comes with getting high, but some sort of nervous jitters that make him laugh and talk uncontrollably. It's almost dark compulsive laughter, and he doesn't seem much like himself during that time.

Have you seen this sort of behavior in anyone when stoned?
  2. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

I think the high is different for everybody. But I have seen a lot of those who were so loud and also laughing after smoking it!
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Marijuana effects people's brain and it's quite often for people to find situation's funnier after smoking a few joints.

It's all part and parcel of being stoned and puts most smokers on the same level.
  4. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

I have seen both "edge zones"... People incessantly laughing (more common) and people falling down a black hole. I think it depends on the person and the circumstances and the reason why someone smokes in the first place. Both reactions, however, are extremely awkward and unnatural.
  5. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Marijuana affects people differently. It really depends on the person. When I used to take, I felt the urge of laughing I must confess, but paradoxically enough, none of my entourage friends were actually feeling like laughing, in spite of Internet rumors stating the exact opposite.
    I did however experience a sensation that made me completely numb about my surroundings, but not even to this date I'm not sure if what I was given then was marijuana.
  6. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I have heard about this but have not seen it at work myself. I have witnessed the loud cheerful and sometimes uncontrollable chatter. It's so clear that this drug has different effects on different people.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I've been around lots of people who smoke but I've never encountered anyone that I found to be worrying especially when it comes to laughing hysterically. At most I just saw people having a lot more fun than they would originally have, so I think if you are concerned you might want to bring it up and see if there is any underlying psychological anomalies with the person.
  8. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I haven't just seen it, I experienced it myself on a number of occasions. With me it was all about stress relief. After smoking hashish, I would feel so relaxed that all my problems suddenly seemed hilarious to me. During those times I could see myself clearly in relation to my difficulties, and it would crack me up that I could be so caught up in things. Those hysterical laughing sessions always freed up my inner tensions and made space for new things.
    But, as I always say, I don't endorse the use of any kind of drugs. You can join a "laughing group". It's not uncommon these days, and laugh yourself happy again. :)
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I've never heard or seen anything that you have described. But all stimuli will affect people differently.
  10. henry

henry Community Champion

I don't think there's anything to really worry about. As some have posted already, we all get high in different ways. I always preferred friends that laughed and got funny to the ones that just kept quiet and spaced out with that stupid look on their faces.
  11. westmixxin

westmixxin Active Contributor

laughter usually is a natural result when you're around actual funny people. When you smoke it really depends on the type we you smoke but the majority it depends on the situation in the mood you were in before you smoked. It also heavily depends on the people that you smoke with. That's probably one of the most heavily deciding factors of how much you actually enjoy Smoking.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Smoking pot can also make a serious situation seem a lot less serious I think.

While it obviously depends in the individual I think when your stoned nothing really matters quite as much as it would do normally.
  13. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I’ve never really seen the nervous, jittery laughter, more of the mellowed-out, easily amused type of laughter. No one around me really got paranoid, come to think of it. I’ve heard stories of others getting super paranoid, though, but that was when they were ingesting edibles rather than smoking. So I would say that’s a factor as well.
  14. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I know exactly what you mean - I get like that if I smoke any weed too. I don't smoke it often but I always enjoy it when I do.
  15. Peachdejour

Peachdejour Member

Yeah, I knew someone who would do this. One time he spend a whole hour hanging upside down over a chair just laughing. All I could do was stare at him. This was during a time when I only smoked weed once in a great while with really close friends. (I was a major pot head when I was younger-then I got bored with it.) I had to tell him I couldn't smoke with him anymore because he scared me.
  16. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Yeah, a lot of people get a bad case of the giggles when they smoke. It happens.
  17. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Those stimuli are relative common, but everyone is different, so maybe you and the people you were around are different.
  18. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Scientifically speaking Marijuana increases blood flow in some areas of the brain and influence neurotransmitter activity, it seems it affects the areas of brain responsible for laughter and reflex activity
  19. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Interesting, well drugs affect each person differently. Some are more sensitive than others. It is all mind and mood altering. Clearly behaviors are altered and some to the extreme. He is just sensitive to it or more prone to having severe changes. Most people I've seen act the way you are saying on pot anyway so.
    Alcohol affects people differently in a similar way. The different grains of alcohol and so forth. Some people will be mellow on beer while that same person might get violent on Jack Daniels. Jagermeister might cause an individual to yell at the top of their lungs every time they drink it....while beer they are always on an even keel. Combining can be the issue with alcohol. There could be an individual where mixing beer with Blackhause shots makes them mellow and fall asleep. It depends upon the person. My observation of alcohol is that its better to stick with one rather than mix. So I would imagine that pot could make each person maybe have similar effects, but certainly one person can have more extreme reactions than another.
  20. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

The best way to describe the effects of marijuana is that it heightens your senses. Something you find mildly saddening when you are sober, will probably be intensely depressing while you are high on marijuana. Something you find mildly funny sober will be hilarious while you are high. Your friend may just find thinks funnier and he laughs as a result of it.