An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is lazyness an addiction?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Tsky45, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

If a person is always sitting around doing nothing would this become an addiction? I know every one has heard of the term couch potato. At some point in our lives we found ourselves using spare time parked in front of the TV eating snacks all day long. What happens when all you ever do is watch TV and eat, will you get so use to doing this that you can't get productive and go outdoors anymore. I think being lazy can be addictive and unhealthy. What do you think?
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

It's not a classic addiction but it surely is something that can be detrimental to your health. You can gain weight, lose a lot of opportunities and deteriorate your social skills if you choose to stay indoors all day. Depression can also be a consequence if you have the same routine everyday, so take that into consideration as well.
  3. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

Laziness seems like an attribute that's part and parcel with some other issue in your life. It may just be wishful thinking, but it seems to me that people who lead stimulating lives won't act lazy in the first place, but will instead be engaged in whatever makes them happy.

This is, of course, coming from a slight workaholic. I don't mind a bit of laziness here or there, but it's strictly for recharging my batteries. Too much idleness drives me crazy.
    kassie1234 and MrsJones like this.
  4. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

Lord knows if it is then I am definitely a laziness addict! :p

I think it's more of a downward cycle than anything. It's sometimes easy to get into the habit of not doing a whole lot. I find the busier I am, the more I can get done, and the more I actually want to do. I was unemployed for a summer a few years ago and I didn't really achieve anything most days. My job has me working about 50 hours a week at the moment and yet I still manage to achieve a lot in my downtime.

I find a few things help me to combat slipping into a lazy cycle - not having a television is very helpful! As well as having a dog that needs to be walked and entertained no matter how lazy I'm feeling.
  5. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

I agree with @SLTE. Lack of motivation, as well as not wanting to think about doing any thing can develop into a mindset of laziness. Of course on the other side of the coin being a couch potato could be that person's way of staying in touch with the outside world but not having to deal with it.
  6. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Some times people just get stuck in a rut. They can't seem to move forward. They get depressed and down and see no way out. It is not that they are lazy. It is just that they physically and emotionally are stuck in one place. They may be sitting in front of the TV eating snacks but their thoughts are somewhere else. They need to seek help to find their way back to a better place in their life.

I know when my Mom passed away I was devastated. I had no desire to do anything. I would sit there mindlessly in front of the TV and eat junk all day long. I never wanted to go out anywhere to do anything. My house was a miss but I didn't care. I never even realized then what I was doing to myself. I couldn't get over it. I felt myself slipping into a depression. It was one of the most difficult times in my life. I slowly came out of it. I forced myself to get out and do things. To talk to people, to reach out for help. I still miss her every day of life but I am able to deal better with it now then I did back then.
    MrsJones likes this.
  7. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I think many people have a propensity towards laziness by default. That's why it's important to wake up early every morning and involve oneself with something, even if one is not the most motivated person. Hard work needs to be ritualized in most folks as only a handful of people out there are self-motivated go-getters. In a way, the average person needs to build up their work ethic by getting off the couch and engaging in work, whether it's working for someone else or themselves.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    MrsJones likes this.
  8. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Sometimes when I look at certain people they must be addicted to laziness! I understand needing some relaxation but there is a difference between that and then doing nothing at all.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think you said it perfectly. I think it's caused by something else going on in life. I know the times that I have felt the laziest in my life have been times when other things have been weighing on me and often causing stress or anxiety. I definitely wouldn't see laziness as an addiction, more like a state of mind.
  10. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

I don't think so else I'd be seriously ill :D The lazyness is due to a physical and metal state that makes you tired of doing anything and this can be also dangerous sometime.
  11. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

Certainly, it has been proven to be so throughout history and certain disorders that were just labelled for an excuse. Laziness can get worse and worse depending on the environment and circumstances. The way to overcome laziness is by doing things.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I wonder. Probably not. The television is a source that eats your brain and puts you in a trance. Maybe the internet does that too. People are programed to be lazy by these devices. I think it is more like routine.
    What is productive mean anyway? Making money? Not necessarily. I guess judging people and trying to control them is something that power hungry people do. Everyone is entitled to their couch potato days.
    Being productive can be helping people or spreading a good word. Loving your down time. I think some people are addicted to thinking they know everything. You know the know it alls.
    TV is addictive. If someone takes some time to be depressed or unproductive, maybe what another thinks is unproductive. Maybe it is productive to them. Judging what other people do doesn't work. People that get into a pattern that may seem unproductive to one might be good for them. They might be working on some things you are unaware of, like themselves. Remember to each his own. It's always the people who say; you are doing this, why aren't you doing that?, or you are this or you are that....these are the ones that are the reason why people revert to seclusion. The suppressive know it all. If someone wants to stay inside and just be they have every right to, it is free country.
    Addicted to being nosy that is the worst one.
  13. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

I wouldn't call it an addiction. I would say it's a personality trait if anything. An addiction implies they have to do it or they experience serious side effects. Other than being annoyed, I can't think of any side effects to being lazy. I feel like laziness is something that is much easier to cure than an addiction.
  14. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

I think laziness is not a form of addiction but instead it is a form of attitude. And it is just in the state of mind of a person of wanting not to do anything that is worthy for themselves. The thoughts within a person is the reason for the action of being lazy. Some people always start or planning to do something but in the middle of everything is already lazy to finish what they had started. But this kind of attitude is just easy to overcome by just having the right thinking and action within themselves.
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Might be since anyone can get addicted to anyhing. There could be various reasons to be lazy like being depressed, traumatic experience or you are spoiled and accustomed not to do anything.
  16. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I don't think being lazy is an addiction. It's a lack of motivation on a person part people have to many reasons not to get up and move these days. It's a matter of breaking a unhealthy lifestyle once a person decides to get up, and move they usually enjoy it, and find it refreshing.
  17. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

So it's not a an addiction, but rather a lack of DISCIPLINE. We know we are supposed to do things, especially things we don't want to, and yet we don't do them because we don't feel like. Unfortunately, procrastinating leads nowhere in life and I too should learn this once and for all.
  18. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it can be easy to be lazy as you may think of putting things to later on and may just rest too much otherwise, it is really easy to lose sight of things in our life and need to be active in our life. It can take effort to move ourselves and can seem like being lazy is not bad, which may cause a person not to have any desire to do things when they should be. I think the human body has to be pushed otherwise it would be lazy, and just rest and the body may seem like it wants to rest and let others do the work.
  19. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I would say that laziness is definitely a toxic mindset to have, but I would not say that it is an addiction by any means. I do not think that a person can become addicted to being lazy.
  20. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Completely agree with this. I have been in those situations, and I just had to get up and do something active and then I felt much better.